Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have a mattress pad underneath it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Signature-Design-by-Ashley-10-Chime-Hybrid-Mattress-Queen/342428811

I ordered this from Walmart and it showed up on my doorstep rolled up in shrink wrap and inside a long box.  I walked the box to the bedroom and put I on the bed and removed the box. Got a razor and cut the wrap and it unrolled on the bed.  I'm happy with it so far, but it does seem to skid off to the side a few inches and I just push it back every couple of weeks.  That might be because I put it on top of a box spring.

No used the old box spring to make sit high?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked up this one a couple of years back, it serves guest room duty.  All guests have commented positively on its comfort and that they slept sound.  Happy guest happy nest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0134FXSWE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_jjJbGbSKA0CNG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We have a Zinus in our camper and also bought one for our daughter.  I think they're just as good as the tempurpedic we have in our master bedroom.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tuft and needle is appealing because I think they've been around longer than a lot of the recent pop-up brands
View Quote

I'll tell you about my experience.

I used to work in the city and had an apartment. Got a twin T&N and it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.

When wife and I moved into our new house we got a queen T&N. It was hard as all hell.

I called the company and they said the queens are firmer than the twins because of some BS reason. They apologized though and sent me a free mattress topper. That shit was like a $200 mattress topper for free.

Well we tried it for another month and ultimately decided not to keep it.

So I called the company and they refunded my money. I asked them how I return the mattress and the topper and they said because of health concerns they were not able to take them back and that I would have to discard of it.

So they gave me my money, and let me keep the mattress and the free topper.

So you may find the mattress is wayy too firm. But I couldn't recommend the company enough. Very good company to spend your money with.

We ultimately moved the mattress to a spare bedroom and when my parents come over they swear it's the most comfortable bed ever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Just be careful opening it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our Tuft and Needle has been great. Firmer than some of the other options I've tried out at other people's houses.
View Quote

Another vote for tuft and needle. Ours is about 2 1/2 years old now so I can’t really give you any long term review, but it’s been great so far.

FYI a king size mattress is really heavy even if it’s jammed into a deceptively small box, hope you’ve got a handtruck at the house or a wife with a strong back, and under no circumstances should you open the box until it’s in your bedroom, haha.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I first went with the Nectar. I was hoping to love it but it hurt my back more than the POS I got rid of. I slept "on it" instead of in it. Too firm for me. Number 2 was the trick. I have the Puffy mattress. It allows me to sink into but supports my body. I love it. I never sleep good but it's about as good as I can get and it's comfortable.

ETA It slips my mind right now but there is a brand which is flip able. One side is firm, the other softer.
View Quote
Layla. I have two they are win.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Laying on a Zinus queen sized right now. Pretty decent for the price ($300?). Son has one in his guest room that is really comfortable and that is what turned us on to the brand. Made in Indonesia, not China FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife and I had a Tuft and Needle for 3 years. I hated that thing. It killed my shoulders and lower back. We just got a an Idle Sleep Plush mattress. Only a couple nights on it, but so far its better. It is much softer and had a 18 month trial period which is nice.
View Quote

@spyderboy03 do you remember which model you had? Are you a side sleeper or other?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Off-gassing mystery foam in a box.  No way I would spend 6-10 hours a day breathing in whatever reaction byproducts it leaks out.  What was wrong with regular mattresses, besides shipping costs?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a leesa from a guy's porch off of craigslist.
No lie.

saved a ton of money and the bed is great
I'd buy another Leesa in a second, although I don't
think I could find as good of a deal now
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Off-gassing mystery foam in a box.  No way I would spend 6-10 hours a day breathing in whatever reaction byproducts it leaks out.  What was wrong with regular mattresses, besides shipping costs?
View Quote

You air it out before you sleep on it.

You realize regular mattresses have foam too, right?

You just don't smell it because they air out in a warehouse swimming in rat shit for 2 years before you sleep on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm.  Thanks for the feedback everyone. Wife said to buy one tonight.

Nectar, Casper, and Tuft & Needle are my current choices.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Idle Sleep Hybrid. Went with it because it is is flippable and still has some springs in it. Most of the mattresses are just usable on one side and I feel that wears them out quicker.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You air it out before you sleep on it.

You realize regular mattresses have foam too, right?

You just don't smell it because they air out in a warehouse swimming in rat shit for 2 years before you sleep on it.
View Quote

You can (and I do) get mattresses which use cotton, wool, polyester (probably other fibers too) batting instead of foam.  Who knows the volatility of the byproducts of that foam reaction? Who knows how well the mix was calibrated for your mattress? I don’t, and neither do you.  There are innumerable carcinogenic, xenohormone, or otherwise biologically active compounds - some odorless, some you go nose-blind to after minutes, hours, or days.  You pick your own mattress, obviously, but I’m sticking with known materials.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Our Tuft and Needle has been great. Firmer than some of the other options I've tried out at other people's houses.
View Quote

Concur.

T&N.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Very happy with the mattress I purchased from Wink Beds.  I chose a very firm mattress and it is holding up very well after almost two years.  

Made in the USA .
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can (and I do) get mattresses which use cotton, wool, polyester (probably other fibers too) batting instead of foam.  Who knows the volatility of the byproducts of that foam reaction? Who knows how well the mix was calibrated for your mattress? I don’t, and neither do you.  There are innumerable carcinogenic, xenohormone, or otherwise biologically active compounds - some odorless, some you go nose-blind to after minutes, hours, or days.  You pick your own mattress, obviously, but I’m sticking with known materials.
View Quote

You don't think foam is a known material?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't think foam is a known material?
View Quote

Foam is the product of a chemical reaction (not being a jerk just laying the groundwork).  That reaction occurs throughout each foam product as it is produced.  Each mattress (and each part of each mattress) is consequently the product of an independent set of reactions.  Provided the reaction is well known, the inputs are well controlled, properly mixed, and the flow through the mold cavity is well understood and remains properly mixed, the temperatures, pressures, levels of reactants and byproducts throughout the forming mattress remain within whatever ideal boundaries - you should get an output that has some range of foam and byproduct content.  A mattress isn’t part of a space shuttle, and all of that stuff is not controlled or monitored to any degree more than is required to get a product to market and into peoples homes.  That means telling people the chemical stench is normal and just needs a little “airing out”.

Wool is made in a sheep.  It’s a known material that does not have volatile components to poison me while I sleep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@spyderboy03 do you remember which model you had? Are you a side sleeper or other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and I had a Tuft and Needle for 3 years. I hated that thing. It killed my shoulders and lower back. We just got a an Idle Sleep Plush mattress. Only a couple nights on it, but so far its better. It is much softer and had a 18 month trial period which is nice.

@Domnior they only had one mattress when we got it in 2017. I haven't looked into them recently. I switch between my back and either side at night, but probably spend 90% of my time on either side. There were also noticeable depressions on both sides of the bed within the first few months. I probably averaged 240 lbs during the time we had it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Bought a Casper from costco. It replaced a near 20 year old first gen tempur pedic.  For about 3 week, I HATED the Casper. The first week, I couldn't sleep for more than an hour...  it almost got returned.  Only reason it didn't was optimism and laziness.

10 months later, I like it... but the first 4 weeks sucked... it felt fine to lay in, but sleep, sucked.

After about 4 weeks, it seemed to break in and got comfy. Now, I like it. I don't love it, but it's a solid 4 out of 5.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Really? That's a bold claim. I miss my old tempurpedic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife bought a Zinus from Amazon for our spare bedroom. I like it as much as our tempurpedic.

Really? That's a bold claim. I miss my old tempurpedic.

I will second that.  Our Zinus has been great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Signature-Design-by-Ashley-10-Chime-Hybrid-Mattress-Queen/342428811

I ordered this from Walmart and it showed up on my doorstep rolled up in shrink wrap and inside a long box.  I walked the box to the bedroom and put I on the bed and removed the box. Got a razor and cut the wrap and it unrolled on the bed.  I'm happy with it so far, but it does seem to skid off to the side a few inches and I just push it back every couple of weeks.  That might be because I put it on top of a box spring.

Those pads might help to keep it from shifting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Don’t ever open the cover on them. Most use fiberglass in their construction.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I like my Casper. It's an 'original', and what I would consider firm.

The mattress it replaced was completely worn out and falling apart, so it felt like sleeping on a rock the first night we had it. After that it's made for much nicer sleep. It's been worth it, and convenient.

We also bought the Casper 'foundation' for it. In hindsight, I'd have just kept the box spring we had.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:01:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Any of y'all with a foam mattress notice dips? That's something we are trying to avoid but notice it referenced in some reviews. Of course every mattress and use is different
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wife bought a Zinus from Amazon for our spare bedroom. I like it as much as our tempurpedic.
View Quote

I have a Zinus too.  Enjoy it greatly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Foam is the product of a chemical reaction (not being a jerk just laying the groundwork).  That reaction occurs throughout each foam product as it is produced.  Each mattress (and each part of each mattress) is consequently the product of an independent set of reactions.  Provided the reaction is well known, the inputs are well controlled, properly mixed, and the flow through the mold cavity is well understood and remains properly mixed, the temperatures, pressures, levels of reactants and byproducts throughout the forming mattress remain within whatever ideal boundaries - you should get an output that has some range of foam and byproduct content.  A mattress isn’t part of a space shuttle, and all of that stuff is not controlled or monitored to any degree more than is required to get a product to market and into peoples homes.  That means telling people the chemical stench is normal and just needs a little “airing out”.

Wool is made in a sheep.  It’s a known material that does not have volatile components to poison me while I sleep.
View Quote

I'm well aware of what foam is. I'm a chemical engineer. I'm also well aware that the reactions are known, the byproducts are known, and the entire process is heavily controlled and regulated. This topic has been studied and reviewed ad nauseam and every single article I have ever read has come to the same conclusion: the levels of byproducts (vocs) that are emitted are well below the limits of exposure recommend by the cdc and there has not been a single research article that has ever been published that suggests the out gassing from foam mattresses has or will ever cause cancer. Linoleum floors also have vocs, many of which are the same. Same conclusions there. Foam is literally everywhere. You're around it all day, every day.

I understand if you want to sleep on hot, expensive wool beds with springs sticking in your side... but to suggest foam mattresses are unsafe is simply wrong and is not supported by a single piece of research literature or government organization.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Bought a Zinus almost 2 years ago and it's the best sleep I've ever had. The mattress is still perfect and as comfortable as the day I got it.

Amazon Product
  • Conforming Green Tea Memory Foam comfort and pressure relieving support for a better night's sleep, foam is CertiPUR - US Certified for durability, performance, and content
  • 3 inches Memory Foam, 2 inches Comfort Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High-density Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High-density Base Support Foam
  • A safe and trustworthy anti-oxidant, Zinus infuses its memory foam products with natural green tea extract to maintain product freshness

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm well aware of what foam is. I'm a chemical engineer. I'm also well aware that the reactions are known, the byproducts are known, and the entire process is heavily controlled and regulated. This topic has been studied and reviewed ad nauseam and every single article I have ever read has come to the same conclusion: the levels of byproducts (vocs) that are emitted are well below the limits of exposure recommend by the cdc and there has not been a single research article that has ever been published that suggests the out gassing from foam mattresses has or will ever cause cancer. Linoleum floors also have vocs, many of which are the same. Same conclusions there. Foam is literally everywhere. You're around it all day, every day.

I understand if you want to sleep on hot, expensive wool beds with springs sticking in your side... but to suggest foam mattresses are unsafe is simply wrong and is not supported by a single piece of research literature or government organization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t trust the government to tell me what’s safe.  Research occurs on topics that get funded for research.  As a chemical engineer you have the ability to make an informed decision, just like me and everybody else.  I’m glad your mattress is working out for you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any of y'all with a foam mattress notice dips? That's something we are trying to avoid but notice it referenced in some reviews. Of course every mattress and use is different
View Quote

King size Nectar for 2-3 years.  No dips.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have a Tempur Foam and it started to dip after four years and we are not big people. I actually added a piece of 3/4" plywood to the middle of the bed and it still is sinking. Had the rep come out two summers ago and review and they would not warranty it. On top of the dip it is so hot in the summer we keep our air set lower just to try and get good nights sleep. The only thing I do like about it is that it does help with any pressure points on my one hip that bugs me from time to time , but many days i wake with back stiffness from the dip.

Looking at TN hybrid right now , but still not sure.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our Tuft and Needle had them after several months. Weren't necessarily visible, but you could feel them. By the time we got rid of it you could see them and if you didn't lay in the dip, you would be laying on a slope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I just saw this and thought it was funny.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Well we ended up taking the plunge on the Casper from Costco. Did a lot of research last night, apparently this if an upgraded model just for Costco.

It's going to take some getting used to I can already tell. But looking forward to seeing what all the rage is about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well we ended up taking the plunge on the Casper from Costco. Did a lot of research last night, apparently this if an upgraded model just for Costco.

It's going to take some getting used to I can already tell. But looking forward to seeing what all the rage is about.
View Quote

Wild Turkey 101 and I clicked a link in this thread and ordered one last night.

The process was simple and painless.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wild Turkey 101 and I clicked a link in this thread and ordered one last night.

The process was simple and painless.  
View Quote
At first blush the mattress seems firm-ish just laying on the bed for a few minutes to try it. But not uncomfortable.  Just different coming from a standard mattress
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#38]
We got the mattress in a box from Walmart about 2 years ago. It was definitely strange to begin with. We love it now. I would not like going back to a regular mattress. It does not seem to be hotter sleeping than a regular mattress. I think it was $199
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At first blush the mattress seems firm-ish just laying on the bed for a few minutes to try it. But not uncomfortable.  Just different coming from a standard mattress
View Quote

yah i will say tho when i converted from a cheep mattress it was weird not waking up with some kind of pain. also i have more then a few times slept on a wireless mouse or some other item and didn't hurt as the mattress conformed to it.

also ended up getting a bed side fan for when it gets too hot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I got the previously mentioned Zinus.   I'm pretty impressed to far.   I usually toss and turn a lot from my hips and shoulders hurting.   There was much less of that.

It is a bit hot but I had a foam mattress years ago and this one is much cooler.

It was pretty neat watching it grow from the size of a mini fridge to a 12" thick king.   Maybe I'm easily amused.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top