Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2018 1:43:09 PM EDT
I need a formula to help with modeling an investment fund:

Let’s say an investor invests in a fund and cash flow from investments all goes to the investor until the investor gets a return of X%. Now that the investor realized return of X%, future cash flow will be split 50/50 with the fund manager until the manager receives 20% of total cash flow.

For example, using brute force I know that if the investor got $600K which got him to X%, then cash flow of $100k a year is split 50/50 ($50k to investor and $50k to manager), the manager would eventually receive $200k and the investor would have received $800k, and the manager’s share of total cash distributed to this point is 20%.

Is there a formula I can use to calculate what dollar amount the manager will receive by plugging in the variables of cash received by the investor, the % of cash split and the managers target total to be received (20%)?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in for this one.

I can't even understand the question, so I can't wait to see the answer.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I need a formula to help with modeling an investment fund:

Let’s say an investor invests in a fund and cash flow from investments all goes to the investor until the investor gets a return of X%. Now that the investor realized return of X%, future cash flow will be split 50/50 with the fund manager until the manager receives 20% of total cash flow.

For example, using brute force I know that if the investor got $600K which got him to X%, then cash flow of $100k a year is split 50/50 ($50k to investor and $50k to manager), the manager would eventually receive $200k and the investor would have received $800k, and the manager’s share of total cash distributed to this point is 20%.

Is there a formula I can use to calculate what dollar amount the manager will receive by plugging in the variables of cash received by the investor, the % of cash split and the managers target total to be received (20%)?
View Quote
Not a single formula, but an algorithm can be made which could be translated into a spreadsheet.  You will have the following variables:
A - Initial investment amount (used to calculate all returns for the year)

B - Initial return % for investor (this % x A will be initial cash which all flows to the investor, per your example)

C - Target % payment to manager.

D - Actual cash flow to be divided between investor and manager.

E - Investor's share of cash flow ($)

F - Manager's share of cash flow ($)

G - Manager's targets payment (= C * A)

A x B = R [reserved cash flow to investor]
F=0, G = C*A
if (R>D) then E = D, else E=R [initial payment to investor - if there is not enough cash flow to exceed the investors starting target, then all cash flow goes to investor, otherwise investor gets the starting target)
D=D-E [initial amount to be distributed reduced by payment to investor]
If (D*.5)<G then F=D*.5, E=E+D*.5,  END**   [not enough cash flow to pay off manager's targeted payment %, so split remaining cash flow 50/50]
Else E=E+G, F=G, D=D-(G*2) [enough money available to pay manager up to his targeted percentage with 50/50 split]
F = F+ (D*C), E= E+ (D*(1-c))  [remaining money split between investor and manager based on the target % fee to the manager]

Final accounting:  F = amount to be paid to manager, E = amount to investor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top