Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2021 10:53:57 AM EDT
I received this as a gift last year and it's still sitting in the box. I have a medium Big Green Egg and plan on getting an XL next month or so.

Any reason to unbox and use the Masterbuilt?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I received this as a gift last year and it's still sitting in the box. I have a medium Big Green Egg and plan on getting an XL next month or so.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33069/20200903_184642_jpg-1889837.JPG
View Quote

I had one of the older models. It was good for a few months then started to act up. I threw it away
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had one of the older models. It was good for a few months then started to act up. I threw it away
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not very encouraging.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell it or keep it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an egg and a master built.
Egg is for brisket, pizzas, bbqing.

Use the master built for cooking - especially especially poultry where I don’t want to wait an hr to stabilize temp, use a ton of charcoal and cook for just one or two hrs.
Yeah, the egg is great but the electric has its place for convenience and “good enough”
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You should do an Arf giveaway for someone who wants to get into smoking meats
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the higher up models.  It’s great.  You can do a lot with it that you can’t with the egg.  Fish, cheese, and poultry all turn out better.  Meats do well as well, especially if you start out slow and add chips every couple hours.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an egg and a master built.
Egg is for brisket, pizzas, bbqing.

Use the master built for cooking - especially especially poultry where I don’t want to wait an hr to stabilize temp, use a ton of charcoal and cook for just one or two hrs.
Yeah, the egg is great but the electric has its place for convenience and “good enough”
View Quote

Very fair points.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I use one for jerky and pork butts.  I do not like brisket on one....I can make a decent brisket on a offset smoker.  When i tried one on the electric it just tastes meh at best.  Pork butts taste fine though.

The little chip tray is too small unless you want to nurse it all day and if I had to do that, I would rather use a real smoker.  
Instead of the little wood chip tray, I use a stand alone pellet tray (made by Amazen) placed inside of the MES.  

The place this thing shines is when I want to make a pork butt....
season butt
set temp
load pellet smoker thing and get it going
put on meat with good probe
go to bed
pull meat when it gets to desired temp
let it rest until I want to eat it.

It is an easy button for pulled pork.  Put on meat the night before and with the pellet tray, I can just check it a couple of times if I am having a hard time keeping the pellets going vs tending a fire all night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top