Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/14/2021 9:43:12 PM EDT
So because there is a worker shortage they are going to pull national guard members from their jobs because of goverment mismanagment. And the feds are going to reimburse them. They say it is short term but why would they solve the problem if the Feds are going to pay for it through our taxes.

https://www-cbsnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/bus-driver-shortage-massachussetts-national-guard/?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16316691461935&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2Fnews%2Fbus-driver-shortage-massachussetts-national-guard%2F

"The safe and reliable transportation to school each day is critical to our children's safety and education," Baker wrote on Twitter Monday.

"The mission's cost will be reimbursed by the federal government, Baker said."

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This doesn't sound very legal
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]

If you have to enlist the NG to drive school buses, you are doing something really wrong.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Obviously the solution to the problem is more government.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I would have killed to ride to school in a Humvee or HEMTT when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Motor T guys or grunts?

Not sure which is worse
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Government created problem requires more government for the solution. Brilliant!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
So they have the proper bus training and CDL endorsement for this?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about Mass, but I'd love nothing more than sit around and watch SNCOs and Officers drive school buses.

Watch that retention sky rocket!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that takes two days.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Will they get a special yellow ribbon with black stripes for this service?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of the drivers don’t want to pick up kids if they deem them sick. School district can be sued if these kids don’t get to go to school. Hence the need for sub school drivers
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would have killed to ride to school in a Humvee or HEMTT when I was a kid.
View Quote

Yeah... A Stryker or a Bradley would be a pretty sweet ride to school...
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You put a bunch of Prince Hall Mason Staff Sergeants driving high school girls around?  Shit, this is gonna end up like Army AIT.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
As a tax payer I'd be PISSED. They're already paying for bussing that they're not receiving. Now their tax dollars are going to pay for the NG to drive the same busses. So effectively being billed twice for the same service, with the bonus of taking the NG guys away from their real jobs, as pointed out above.

That's a bold strategy, Cotton.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Had a guy in my platoon that got sent to the local school and got the license for it (think both mil and civ). Actually came in handy to be able draw a bus from the motor pool for ... reasons.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
You know by law here in mass you have to have a cdl with a school bus endorsement to drive a school bus, probably just ignore that law
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
 It will be hilarious a decade from now and some kid is  asking her father “what did you do in the Army dad? Uncle Jayden told me about going to Syria” and the answer is “Well Cardi,while he was in Syria I first guarded a McDonalds in DC against old ladies in MAGA hats and then I drove a school bus”.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
War fighters must LOVE this assignment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Believe it or not bus driver school gives the same amount of promotion points as ranger school.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You put a bunch of Prince Hall Mason Staff Sergeants driving high school girls around?  Shit, this is gonna end up like Army AIT.
View Quote

Aberdeen, represent!

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#21]
that's going to be epic

good thing i have my butler drive my kids to private school
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Will the older kids be manning the .50...?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
War fighters must LOVE this assignment.
View Quote

They'll probably call for volunteers and get mostly the functionally retarded and unemployable bottom quarter of the Army.  Of course once those guys find out that they can't collect their VA Disabilty and mil pay for the same days, the volunteers might dry up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah... A Stryker or a Bradley would be a pretty sweet ride to school...
View Quote

Lmao how many kids would get crushed from a strykers ramp

I was a Stryker mechanic from 05-09
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It will be hilarious a decade from now and some kid is  asking her father “what did you do in the Army dad? Uncle Jayden told me about going to Syria” and the answer is “Well Cardi,while he was in Syria I first guarded a McDonalds in DC against old ladies in MAGA hats and then I drove a school bus”.
View Quote

My FIL was in the a navy Reserves and got activated in 1970 for a week because of a US Postal Service strike.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As a tax payer I'd be PISSED. They're already paying for bussing that they're not receiving. Now their tax dollars are going to pay for the NG to drive the same busses. So effectively being billed twice for the same service, with the bonus of taking the NG guys away from their real jobs, as pointed out above.

View Quote

You did see the part where our federal taxes are going to pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]
NG making sure kids get into school, its 1968 all over again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bus!?!?!?  Let the kids ride in the back of a Duce and a half or MRAP.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#29]
We can’t even do a strategic exit after 20 years I’ll be shocked if we can get school busses from point A to point B.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Beau could have driven that bus…
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They'll probably call for volunteers and get mostly the functionally retarded and unemployable bottom quarter of the Army.  Of course once those guys find out that they can't collect their VA Disabilty and mil pay for the same days, the volunteers might dry up.
View Quote

If they are called to duty, they will get their military pay and benefits and points towards retirement. AAlso you don't get VA disability while in the NG.  Ask me how I know you never served.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#32]
How long before GD is crying about the “militarization of the school busses?”
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Will the older kids be manning the .50...?  
View Quote

In certain areas of Chicago that would be considered an unarmed school bus.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same federal government that didn't reimburse states for the capital assignment leading units to have to cancel drills?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My FIL was in the a navy Reserves and got activated in 1970 for a week because of a US Postal Service strike.
View Quote

I didn’t know the navy had tanks. What did they use to drive over your packages before they were delivered?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If they are called to duty, they will get their military pay and benefits and points towards retirement. AAlso you don't get VA disability while in the NG.  Ask me how I know you never served.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a troop that would prove that otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope it is some salty ass sgts and they cuss the kids out as they have 5 finger death punch blaring through the speakers as they drink rip its. It will be so epic
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laws lol...
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Union Busters!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]
They're never going to fill those positions unless they pay more. IIRC that's generally a CDL job. The current generation of CDL holders isn't going to go for that, and the older ones are probably all retiring. They're competing against the entire logistics industry, that is also hurting for drivers, and offering a lot more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#41]
How long before Biden withdraws them and turns Massachusetts over to the Taliban?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, for an expert on "served" you are wronger than two boys fucking.  You can absolutely collect VA Disability in the Guard and Reserve.  You can be compensated for any day that you don't collect pay from the military. You can opt to waive your drill pay if your daily Disability is higher, or you can opt to waive your Disability for duty days, its the SM's choice.

I opted the latter.

It's a mandatory annual briefing, back in the GWOT day all those fuckers were gettin' paid, and not just combat arms, the poguier the pogue, the higher the percentage.

But that's just how it works for Soldiers, in the Army reserve components.  Might be different for lawyers in JAG.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How long before Biden withdraws them and turns Massachusetts over to the Taliban?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Obviously the solution to the problem is more government.
View Quote
And money. And more government to oversee.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Driving school kids? Screw that, I hope they get combat pay.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Barely Legal School Bus Edition
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I have to think that abusing the NG in this manner will lead to low morale and recruiting issues in the future.

How about trying the “drive your own damn kids to school” strategy?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Biden should just tell them to pay more and they won’t have a shortage like he told the small business guy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well, for an expert on "served" you are wronger than two boys fucking.  You can absolutely collect VA Disability in the Guard and Reserve.  You can be compensated for any day that you don't collect pay from the military. You can opt to waive your drill pay if your daily Disability is higher, or you can opt to waive your Disability for duty days, its the SM's choice.

I opted the latter.

It's a mandatory annual briefing, back in the GWOT day all those fuckers were gettin' paid, and not just combat arms, the poguier the pogue, the higher the percentage.

But that's just how it works for Soldiers, in the Army reserve components.  Might be different for lawyers in JAG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I opted the latter.

This went pretty much how I expected it to go.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top