Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Yes I know.

You can talk here.
You are having your first initial meeting correct?  You have never met with anyone from the lodge before, correct?

The Raising is after the 3rd degree....  You need to be voted in first.
View Quote
No, this is not my first initial meeting. My first meeting, I was invited to a Grand meeting, by my sponsor. I turned in my application and paid fees that day. From there I went through background and an interview at my home.

Had another meeting after that and also met with some other brothers who have their EA and FC. I speak with them daily and we are together about 3 times a week now.

I was told to be prepared, by the WM,  for this Saturday... as they don’t normally do all the degrees at once but they want me to catch up with the other two so that we can all be raised at the same time.

I’m seeking clarity on what I was told from you all now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Also at the Grand meeting I stayed outside, and helped  with doing some odds, ends and etc until they were done meeting and then they all came out and we spent some time together
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 13FoxVet:
Also at the Grand meeting I stayed outside, and helped  with doing some odds, ends and etc until they were done meeting and then they all came out and we spent some time together
View Quote
You are correct. It sounds like they are doing a one day class deal. This is where you receive all 3 degrees in one day. Not all states offer this and not everyone likes the one day class deal, but one of the best Masons that I know (our secretary) was a one day class raising.

Best of luck my friend.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Garyindiane:

You are correct. It sounds like they are doing a one day class deal. This is where you receive all 3 degrees in one day. Not all states offer this and not everyone likes the one day class deal, but one of the best Masons that I know (our secretary) was a one day class raising.

Best of luck my friend.
View Quote
Thank you, my heart rate went up for a second. I was waiting on you all’s response before I called my sponsor with more questions lol.

I
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

What jurisdiction are you joining?
View Quote
York Rite of Georgia
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You didn't say up front that you were doing a one day class.

Hopefully all goes well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You didn't say up front that you were doing a one day class.

Hopefully all goes well.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations, and the very best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Our date changed to 11/16
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually was interested once. Had business dealings with a member and he asked me if I was interested at the time. A few business dealings later I discovered he was multiplying my prices WAY beyond gouging. Adding that portion to my section of the work involved(making my end look bad). Making 4-5 times the price I gave him. And I was leaving enough for him to make money on me while keeping it fair to all involved. Greed. Bad taste. Not saying all are bad. Just my experience to date.
I can say more but I won't.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

i am confused now...

you must be a MM to join the YR and last i knew GA did not offer one day classes?
View Quote
I had to go back and re-read everything. I'm lost as well. You have not yet been raised to the sublime degree of a MM. So you are taking a "one day class" for the York Rite degrees, or a one day class to become a MM in Blue Lodge?
I've heard of an all day degree for the degrees in the York Rite, but I have never heard of a one day class for the first three degrees in Masonry. Seems illogical.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#17]
What's really confusing is every state has different regulations.
Like for instance here in Pennsylvania we do one day classes depending on The Grandmaster. the current Grandmaster does not like one day classes therefore he's not going to allow any while he's in charge.

Personally I believe that the one day classes offered an opportunity to get a guy in the lodge that wouldn't join because his work schedule wouldn't allow it or his family schedule wouldn't allow it, but he has one night a month that he can come to lodge.

This past Year's Master Of Our Lodge went through the one-day class about 8 years ago.

If we examine the data we have collected our retention rate is almost exactly the same within 1% between one day class and traditional
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#18]
What's really confusing is every state has different regulations.
Like for instance here in Pennsylvania we do one day classes depending on The Grandmaster. the current Grandmaster does not like one day classes therefore he's not going to allow any while he's in charge.

Personally I believe that the one day classes offered an opportunity to get a guy in the lodge that wouldn't join because his work schedule wouldn't allow it or his family schedule wouldn't allow it, but he has one night a month that he can come to lodge.

This past Year's Master Of Our Lodge went through the one-day class about 8 years ago.

If we examine the data we have collected our retention rate is almost exactly the same within 1% between one day class and traditional
View Quote
Our Secretary came in in 2011 as a one day class Mason.
He is absolutely amazing! I don't think that I have meet any other Mason with the amount of knowledge he has.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I've learned more in this thread than I have knowing a few masons for years.  One thing that this thread has not really touched on is politics and it's place/influence on the brotherhood.  Just based upon the values and core beliefs, it would seem that Masonry by it's nature is a conservative institution.  Unfortunately in the world we live in, everything seems to be politicized, is that true for Masons?  Does politics play a part?

I'm not asking to be a troublemaker but out of genuine interest.  The more I learn and understand, the closer I become to taking that first step.  Heavy politics would keep me from seeking more....
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
politics and religion are 2 things that are 100% off limits in a masonic lodges. a mans beliefs are his and his alone. Discussing such things disrupts harmony between brothers and generates ill will.

that said.... both tend to get debated a good bit while at refreshment outside the lodge. One key thing is that the discussion in my experience have always been positive and left outside the door when lodge is in session. There is no liberal or conservative in the lodge... only your brother. Masonry takes no formal stance on matter of politics. It only encourages the mason to be involved and do their civic duties.
View Quote
Thank you for the insight
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
It was planned that I was to be raised to MM last Saturday, but with the Covid outbreak, everything has been put on hold.

Has this effected anyone else?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By OAK667:
It was planned that I was to be raised to MM last Saturday, but with the Covid outbreak, everything has been put on hold.

View Quote

Yes.

All Masonic activities in PA are closed.
Shrine,  Scottish Rite, York Rite, Eastern Star..... all of it.

No practices or school and no hall rentals
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#26]
No Masonic events and activities in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#28]
This is my year in the south, between my work schedule, and the boogy virus, I only made it to 3 lodge meetings.
The up side is nobody has to endure my cooking.
At this point, I'd be surprised if we have any meetings before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By OAK667:

View Quote

Absolutely.  My lodge has 6 EA's including myself pretty much waiting for our second.  Was going to try and make MM this year but that looks dang near impossible now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]

i am confused now...

you must be a MM to join the YR and last i knew GA did not offer one day classes?
View Quote

I was all over the place, when asking these questions over a year ago. With changes and Covid slowing/stopping a lot of meetings. I was finally raised yesterday.

Going back reading my old post, I smile. I had no clue what I was talking about or how to even answer properly, what y’all were asking me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]

I was all over the place, when asking these questions over a year ago. With changes and Covid slowing/stopping a lot of meetings. I was finally raised yesterday.

Going back reading my old post, I smile. I had no clue what I was talking about or how to even answer properly, what y'all were asking me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

i am confused now...

Going back reading my old post, I smile. I had no clue what I was talking about or how to even answer properly, what y'all were asking me.
Congratulations.

Yeah you did sound confused.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Congratulations.

Yeah you did sound confused.
View Quote

Yes I did, lol

Thanks Brother.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top