Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2021 10:24:27 PM EDT
She should have known better.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2021/04/18/lunken-airport-faa-martha-jeremiah-morrow-bridge/7089271002/

A little more than a month ago, the Federal Aviation Administration revoked Martha’s flying certificates because she flew under a bridge in Warren County. It’s a violation of aviation rules to fly too close to any structure.

She can reapply, as if she were a student, but not until December. After a lifetime of flying, more than 14,000 hours, she must retake a pilot test she last took in 1962. And she cannot fly by herself until she passes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
PSGWSP?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tim Martin says hold my beer Martha.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Actions have consequences.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Get yah a new one out of Taiwan, no sweat.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Gutsy call Martha
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
At age 78...I'd ignore the FAA and fly anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm thinking she made the FU FAA decision when she went under the bridge and it likely hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm thinking she made the FU FAA decision when she went under the bridge and it likely hasn't changed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was about to say the same thing.

ETA: There isn't a pilot around here that hasn't thought about flying under that bridge.  I'd say that more than a few have done it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Was a safety manager at the FAA for 28 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Was a safety manager at the FAA for 28 years.
View Quote

Local DPE for many years.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bingo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

And if she wasn't so well known, she'd get away with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Hi-Fives to Martha !
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:28:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bingo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo

I have known a few people with those sentiments.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#16]
28 years as a safety manager at the FAA

flies under bridge

LOL

wish I could say I haven't done some stupid shit.....

it sounded like a good idea at the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
This is 2021.  Where is the video?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Nobody ever mentions the crazy sound of the engine echoing off the bridge and water, or the wide eyed astonished looks of the river barge deck hands that are going under the bridge at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't feel sorry for her. She knew it was wrong, but did it anyway.

Then again, like others have said, good for her!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Not like there is not plenty of room.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]
When I was in flight school there was no such thing as flying too low unless you unintentionally hit the ground.  In fact, "under obstacle flight" was a task you did just like any other.  There was a light beam between two telephone poles to do the task and if you broke the beam a big red traffic light came on to indicate you hit the "obstacle" and crashed.  

Most(all?) of the army manuals still have it but call it "negotiate obstacle" or something similar.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I flew underneath the Golden Gate Bridge once. Of course, it was SOP with a hot gun to avoid overflight of people.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Didn't a helicopter pilot for the local Cincinnati news fly under a highway bridge across the Ohio river in the late 70's/early 80's before the bridge was commissioned?  

If I recall, since the structure wasn't in service yet, he wasn't punished.

ETA: Found it:

https://www.facebook.com/1027webn/posts/10162317179125494

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
28 years as a safety manager at the FAA

flies under bridge

LOL

wish I could say I haven't done some stupid shit.....

it sounded like a good idea at the time.
View Quote

I don’t feel the slightest bit for her.   She knew her responsibility, the outcome that was likely.  

She rolled the dice and got snake eyes.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#25]
As a kid in the late 70s early 80s I remember seeing planes fly under bridges over the Mo River.  Even had a few seaplanes land in the river and taxi over to the boat ramp.  Good times.

When I started taking flying lesson in the early 90s I asked my flight instructor if we could go under the bridge.  he LOLed till he was out of breath.  Guess I missed the 'that's verbotten!!' notam on that one...

(Although, IIRC it is not specifically called out to not 'fly under bridges'.  It's covered under the whole staying 500 feet away from structures, I think.  It's been a few decades since I cracked open a FAR/AIM book...)
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Didn't a helicopter pilot for the local Cincinnati news fly under a highway bridge across the Ohio river in the late 70's/early 80's before the bridge was commissioned?  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57471/Capture_JPG-1912095.JPG
View Quote

John philips.  I was down there for the fireworks a year or two after that with 500,000 friends, and he was flying around, talking to the dj's.  They said, "Fly under the bridge, john!"
He said, "No way.  Last time I did that I got in all kinds of trouble"...  as he flew under the bridge again.

ETA:  My favorite John Phillips story is about the groundhogs.  Blue Ash airport had a groundhog problem, and he got his ticket yanked for shooting them with a .22 from his helicopter.  After he finally got back in the air, he was on the radio, talking with the DJ's about it, and said that the saddest thing about the whole affair was that he found out he never needed to shoot them.  They were so mesmerized by the helicopter, he could just creep up on them, and squash them with the skid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like all she has to do is go pass a check ride.

With her experience she should be able to that without any problem.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

John philips.  I was down there for the fireworks a year or two after that with 500,000 friends, and he was flying around, talking to the dj's.  They said, "Fly under the bridge, john!"
He said, "No way.  Last time I did that I got in all kinds of trouble"...  as he flew under the bridge again.

ETA:  My favorite John Phillips story is about the groundhogs.  Blue Ash airport had a groundhog problem, and he got his ticket yanked for shooting them with a .22 from his helicopter.  After he finally got back in the air, he was on the radio, talking with the DJ's about it, and said that the saddest thing about the whole affair was that he found out he never needed to shoot them.  They were so mesmerized by the helicopter, he could just creep up on them, and squash them with the skid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57471/Capture_JPG-1912095.JPG

I remember when that happened. The ground hog shooting that is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]
In this thread you can tell who has flown under the Baghdad swords and who hasn't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can't feel sorry for her. She knew it was wrong, but did it anyway.

Then again, like others have said, good for her!
View Quote

Did, or would, she approve of it when she was in the FAA? I bet not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I flew underneath the Golden Gate Bridge once. Of course, it was SOP with a hot gun to avoid overflight of people.
View Quote

You don’t say?  My nickname in high school was “hot gun.”
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#32]
ADSB/ Transponder off, tape over N numbers....what would happen?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck it, mess with the bull, get the horns.  

Just cuz she has a vag and is old shouldn't give her a pass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Two of the helicopter operators in downtown STL that operated off a barge had LOA's to fly under the bridges.  It was faster and safer to them go under the bridges that try to climb to a safe altitude to cross over them and the powerlines in such a short distance.

And yes, there have been LOA's issued to fly through the Gateway Arch.....I know a guy that did several times it in a helicopter slinging a 360-degree camera for Disney.  The Arch is 630 ft tall and 630 ft wide at the base--plenty of room and rather uneventful as he described it.  Now when he got to land on top of it (twice), that was a really wild story.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here is the solution to may issues
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In this thread you can tell who has flown under the Baghdad swords and who hasn't.
View Quote
In what ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Having to have a license to fly is racist.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<----- See Avatar

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Those smug pictures and article don’t make me feel sympathetic to her situation.

Maybe she should own up to her mistake and take her punishment.

Not like they won’t give her a license back if she goes back and passes the ride. Hell, I knew a guy who went to federal prison twice for aviation related crimes and got his license back. First time was stealing a Learjet and taking it to South America and flying drugs and officials. Then after prison he got busted being a fake cfi giving instruction and signing people off. Making fake passports didn’t help.

After his ban was over they gave him his certificate back. No joke I saw the DPE issue it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd think she would have done that, but noooooo.
She had to give the FAA a big 'FU'.
Now she's learned that wasn't a particularly good idea.
Do I share her disappointment? Yes.
Do I feel sorry for her. No.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Shit.. she can do it legally in a seaplane. They land under the bridge here on lake Austin.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Wonder how many bridges could be added to a list of "walked into an airport and asked if there were any bridges in the area, and everybody knew about this one", if somebody took the time to compile such a list.

When I worked at SRB, back in the 1980s, it was the bridge on Hwy 70, between Smithville and Sparta.  Last time I was in the area, it looked like they were getting ready to build a new bridge next to it, so it's probably been replaced, by now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Shit.. she can do it legally in a seaplane. They land under the bridge here on lake Austin.
View Quote

It isn't because they are seaplanes.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was about to say the same thing.

ETA: There isn't a pilot around here that hasn't thought about flying under that bridge.  I'd say that more than a few have done it.

https://scontent.fluk1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/37335576_10155909851703277_5334956874691248128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=I5QVBMQPOwsAX8OqfIQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=c7c8281592aa4b64550e8405b96b0271&oe=60A44C99

View Quote

She got in trouble for that?! Hell, you could fly a 747 under that!
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Zero sympathy.

She did not "make a mistake".  

She fully intended to play a stupid game and she earned her stupid prize.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Zero sympathy.

View Quote

I don't think she's looking for any sympathy. She knows what she did.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zero sympathy.

I know.  You wrote in your OP that "She should have known better".

She did.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

She did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zero sympathy.

She did.

She obviously knew it was illegal, but she thought she wouldn't get caught.  There are cameras everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

She obviously knew it was illegal, but she thought she wouldn't get caught.  There are cameras everywhere.
View Quote

Then she is not just a "Fuck you, I'll do what I want" type.  She is stupid to boot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Then she is not just a "Fuck you, I'll do what I want" type.  She is stupid to boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She did a stupid thing.  I don't think that means that your stupid.  But you're free to judge people however you want.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top