BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That seems a bit high for today.  Maybe not for the government though.
View Quote

This report says. "....DHS reports the cost of Rapid DNA is expected to quickly drop to $100 a sample (initially it was $230 a sample) compared to forensic laboratory sample costs of $500 a sample."

There are several quotes in articles claiming the cost of the machines between $30,000 and $250,000. Some of those may include a year's worth of service and maintenance. Some may not.

So - it's definitely getting easier and cheaper to collect and process DNA. I expect more crimes will be solved with DNA - until criminals get better at obfuscating their own DNA.

Most articles simply don't give enough detail to be able to check their facts independently. (Big surprise.) I'm surprised at the variation. Maybe there is one cost for a contracted test, vs a noncontracted test? Like in network/out of network medical costs? I dunno.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
GD cop threads are always entertaining. So much terrible misinformation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm glad we don't do that.
View Quote

It is actually really easy and will get you legend status with your department after doing it a few times successfully.  One or two lifts if done right and you have a great chance of catching someone.  Robbery for example.  Most of these can be solved within a few hours if you have a forensic lab to support you.  Respond, secure/clear scene, look at video before doing/touching ANYTHING.  Watch where they touch (preferably on the glass door on the way out) Dust that targeted area ONLY!.  Lift and turn in.  If they do the "fake shopping act" and set something on the counter before pulling the gun, grab and bag that stuff too and send it in to the lab.  I have caught double digit convenient store and bank robbery suspects doing this on the same day or within 24 hrs.  People just try to make things harder than they really are.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Good, and good riddance.

I hate thieves.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Plot twist-all the covid testing is just a way to get DNA from many voluntarily.
View Quote

They rather you paid for an ancestor DNA test.  Win Win for them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Been doing it for years. Burglary of a residence is a 1st degree felony, it's routine to collect blood evidence.

Of course GD would never bother to actually LEARN that before making a dumbass comment.
View Quote
Big facts.

The tin foil tards are strong. Especially funny is the mention of the military. Yes, the military keeps a DNA sample on file. It isn't actually broken down and coded or put in a database. It's so if you get blown up or are MIA or whatever they can then process it if they find remains they want to compare to.

In most states these days, if you are arrested for a felony your DNA will be taken. So don't get arrested for felonies, mmkay?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]

years ago I had a CE on DNA and why we should be careful with it. if I remember correctly...

one of the case studies was a guy picked up in another state on a Murder Charge of a woman. the guy had lived in that state years previously, but had no priors.

some sort of blood evidence was collected at the scene on a window ( that was unbroken or damaged to my knowledge)

come to find out he has worked for window company that replaced her windows years and years ago before she ever bought the house.

DNA in crime solving is a blessing and a curse.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#10]
DNA already collected when you were in the Military will most likely never be included just because it being cost prohibited and the logistics it would take.  But at some point going forward it is going to be cheap enough to create the CODIS profile at collection and they will eventually start down that road.  It still surprises me no one blinked an eye when Dear Leader signed an EO back in 2010 moving all civil and military fingerprint database into a larger database to be accessed by LE.  Prior to that any blue "Applicant" card you would submit for background, licensing or employment would be checked and if nothing found, then destroyed.  That all changed in 2010 and now every civil or military collected fingerprints summited for background checks, etc., is now saved and included into the database.  Even those cards you fill out for your ATF paperwork.  Unfortunately DNA will catch up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Been commonplace for years. Why is the gd worthy?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#12]
DOD DNA is not admissible in a criminal case.

Same for polygraph info from security clearances.

Not saying they won't build a "parallel construction" case against you.

It's not even illegal to do it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
DOD DNA is not admissible in a criminal case.

Same for polygraph info from security clearances.

Not saying they won't build a "parallel construction" case against you.

It's not even illegal to do it.
View Quote

DOD DNA is in the CODIS/NDIS and will give a hit if DNA is collected from a crime scene. A relevant CODIS hit is enough PC to get an arrest warrant in most cases. However, a fresh DNA standard is required from the suspect to match the evidence from the crime scene, to be admitted as evidence in a trial.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm glad we don't do that.
View Quote
They don't trust your Patrol guys enough to do their own fingerprinting and DNA swabs?

Only time Crime Scene gets called for us is homicide or life felonies. You do your own photographs, prints and DNA swabs for most felony and misdemeanor shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fingerprinting basic crime scenes should be done by the responding officer, very simple, cheap and effective use of resources.  Basic fingerprint kit under $20 dollars and will last years.  Suspects don't wear gloves like they everyone thinks they do.  I have seen serial rapist (testified in that one) captured with less than a dollar's worth of supplies and a little time caught by the responding Patrol Offices putting a few minutes effort into the scene.  I know a few 500+ officer departments that every officer from the Chief to every academy cadet is issued a kit and expected to use it, and surprisingly do with great results.  The break down in the process is if you don't have the forensic support to do the analysis in a timely manner.
View Quote

Maybe where you work.  I have multiple videos of suspects wearing hoodies, masks and either gloves or socks over their hands.  We send one cop per patrol team and all the detectives to basic evidence tech school.  We rarely get prints, anymore. It's not for lack of effort.   Last case we solved due to a lifted print was a couple of years ago.  We've had far more success on DNA hits and other methods of suspect identification that I will not post on an internet forum.  You can probably guess what those are.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wait. DNA evidence to arrest a guy for...burglary?

Did anyone die during the commission of the crime? What the fuck did the guy steal, 3 Faberge Eggs and a bag of fucking diamonds?

Glad to see this climbed to the top of the "most wanted" list...
View Quote

Can you stay in MN?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't get all the excitement. Collecting DNA from Bio evidence is pretty routine in felony cases.
View Quote

Maybe in your part of the world. But here in BFE you're doing good if you get them there to look at the kicked in door. Then they attempt to dust for prints and only succeed in making a huge mess.

Don't even get me started on follow up, or additional patrols.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They don't trust your Patrol guys enough to do their own fingerprinting and DNA swabs?

Only time Crime Scene gets called for us is homicide or life felonies. You do your own photographs, prints and DNA swabs for most felony and misdemeanor shit.
View Quote

For us it isn’t a matter of trust.  Our Crime Scene techs are better trained and equipped for evidence collection of that type so they get called out to do the job they’re hired for.  That in turn frees up patrol and other sworn personnel to do their jobs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top