Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
pg2 ownage. i've found that cutting your beans into 1/2" pieces helps in making extract. you can put your spent beans in sugar to use in other recipes. my rule of thumb is to agitate your extract when first starting out- once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and once a month after that.
any decent vodka works or any alcohol that isn't too strong tasting. i've used higher end vodkas and don't taste any difference. no spiced or flavored alcohols, waste of vanilla beans. bourbon is ok and i've used high proof moonshine, as well. it was a little harsh and a waste of beans.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pg2 ownage. i've found that cutting your beans into 1/2" pieces helps in making extract.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
pg2 ownage. i've found that cutting your beans into 1/2" pieces helps in making extract.

Does cutting them yield a faster extract over splitting? I thought splitting was the best...but uve never tried cutting.

Quoted:
any decent vodka works or any alcohol that isn't too strong tasting. i've used higher end vodkas and don't taste any difference. no spiced or flavored alcohols, waste of vanilla beans.

I found one of the aforementioned extract making groups on Facebook. Some of the alcohol people use just makes me scratch my head. Some people buy vanilla (artificial) flavored rum to make vanilla extract. WTF? 100% counterproductive. Just buy some artificial vanilla flavor if you want artificial vanilla flavor...why spend big money on real vanilla then adulter it with artificial vanilla? Vodka or rum, inspired, unflavored for the best vanilla.

Using bourbon is said to take at least 2 years for the extract to mellow to a pleasant extract.

Quoted: i've used high proof moonshine, as well. it was a little harsh and a waste of beans.

Most people using Everclear are diluting it to the recommended 70-100 proof (35-50%) that is best for extraction...I would imagine full strength Everclear would probably never mellow enough to be pleasant...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Does cutting them yield a faster extract over splitting? I thought splitting was the best...but uve never tried cutting.

I found one of the aforementioned extract making groups on Facebook. Some of the alcohol people use just makes me scratch my head. Some people buy vanilla (artificial) flavored rum to make vanilla extract. WTF? 100% counterproductive. Just buy some artificial vanilla flavor if you want artificial vanilla flavor...why spend big money on real vanilla then adulter it with artificial vanilla? Vodka or rum, inspired, unflavored for the best vanilla.

Using bourbon is said to take at least 2 years for the extract to mellow to a pleasant extract.

Most people using Everclear are diluting it to the recommended 70-100 proof (35-50%) that is best for extraction...I would imagine full strength Everclear would probably never mellow enough to be pleasant...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
any decent vodka works or any alcohol that isn't too strong tasting. i've used higher end vodkas and don't taste any difference. no spiced or flavored alcohols, waste of vanilla beans.

Quoted: i've used high proof moonshine, as well. it was a little harsh and a waste of beans.

i've found it makes for a little quicker and cleaner extract. i'd think splitting them would introduce more of the innards of the bean, especially if you agitate.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i've found it makes for a little quicker and cleaner extract. i'd think splitting them would introduce more of the innards of the bean, especially if you agitate.

View Quote

You can always strain & filter if you don't want the bits in it.

My bottle made from split beans has 1/2" caviar at the bottom and it's a little cloudy. I plan to strain and filter if I gift any of it but I don't mind the cloudiness or the bits.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Splits are allowed to be sold as Grade B, I assumed they were something other than natural splits if they were being sold as a separate item vs sold as Grade B.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Splits occur naturally on the vine or during the curing process.

Splits are allowed to be sold as Grade B, I assumed they were something other than natural splits if they were being sold as a separate item vs sold as Grade B.

After doing a little research here's what I found out. There are no standards as to what grade A or grade B is. Why? Because there is no central agency or authority that determines grades of vanilla beans or allows what can be sold as this or that. It just doesn't exist. Bean marketers can call any beans grade A or B or whatever. It comes down to Caveat Emptor. If you're satisfied with the beans you get from your supplier then stick with them because the rules are made up as they go along.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

After doing a little research here's what I found out. There are no standards as to what grade A or grade B is. Why? Because there is no central agency or authority that determines grades of vanilla beans or allows what can be sold as this or that. It just doesn't exist. Bean marketers can call any beans grade A or B or whatever. It comes down to Caveat Emptor. If you're satisfied with the beans you get from your supplier then stick with them because the rules are made up as they go along.
View Quote

This is true but there is a general consensus among the big time buyers (middlemen and food manufacturers that are using real vanilla) on what each grade roughly is. Yes, it is their responsibility to inspect to make sure it meets their needs.

Some call them "extract grade" and "gourmet" instead if B and A. Generally they all mean the same thing.

Grade B/Extract grade is a bean less than 30% moisture that may have splits, short beans, etc

Grade A/Gourmet is a bean that is long, plump, not split, and has a moisture of 30-35%.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for this thread, I ordered a pound of extract grade beans from Sava.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Great thread OP with even better timing (for me!) I am getting back into baking pastries/doughnuts and have been looking into the logistics and feasibility of upgrading key ingredients, with vanilla extract being one of them. I made two different glazes this weekend. The first used "Vanilla flavoring" which we had on-hand and the other used "Pure Vanilla Extract" which I went out and purchased locally.

The flavor difference just between the two store bought vanilla's was noticeable and I can only imagine that the stuff you are currently making will only taste that much better. The glaze I'm currently experimenting with only uses 4-5 ingredients with vanilla being ~95% of the actual flavor.

Expect a text or two inbound about vanilla extract!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
2 months in and my vanilla extract smells great and is a rich chocolatey brown color. I may start tapping into one soon just to see how it is!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top