Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2021 3:36:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been using this starter for about a year now.  I have no problems getting the bread to rise but the sour taste has diminished over the years.  How can I make it more sour?  I feed with 1:1 white flour and water and do not pour off any hooch.

I think my bread is rising too fast now too.  For the first few months the bread had lots of holes in the crumb.  Now they are fewer.  I've tried proofing it in the fridge overnight but it doesn't change things.

I proof in the oven with the light on in a bowl for the first proofing and then in proofing baskets for the second.  I am cooking in enameled cast iron.
View Quote

How long are you fermenting your dough once you've added the starter?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long enough for it to double in size.  Six months ago it would take 2-3 hours.  Now it does that closer to 90 minutes.
View Quote

Are you doing a long, cold ferment?  If not... you should try it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Might be that there's a newer strain of wild yeast that's become dominant in your mother.  If that's so, there's not much you can do for your current mother.  Might start another batch from scratch and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
do your first rise in the frige overnight
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Typically in the oven with the light on.  I tried a second proofing in the fridge overnight but had the same result.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically in the oven with the light on.  I tried a second proofing in the fridge overnight but had the same result.

So, here's how I do it...

When I mix the dough, my recipe mixes all of the water, and a portion of the yeast/flour.  The rest of the dries get mixed, then sprinkled on top of the wet mix, and in the fridge it goes overnight.  The next morning, it gets pulled out, all of it gets mixed together, let it sit for a short bit, then back in the fridge it goes overnight again.  It'll double (or more) during that time.  The third morning, it gets pulled out, beaten down, and allowed to warm and perform the second double.  Then it gets beaten down, formed, and does the third doubling before baking.  

The amount of flavor you get from that is unreal.   Give it a try, and see if it helps with what you're looking for.  I believe that the really good sourdough breads you're thinking of are doing the long, cold ferments like that for flavor.

Speaking of that... it's definitely going to be baking weather still this week.  I should go mix some up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:42:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try 3-5 days, cold ferment. Then allow a few hours at room temp before using.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have made some Russian sour black bread. It was quite sour, but delicious.

It used kefir and rye flour for the starter. 50 grams or each approx 2 tablespoons of each. Add each and stir together everyday for 5 days. The rye won't matter when making the bread. The first few days nothing will be happening, then BAM! It will be full and airy on day 3or 4.

Take 2 T aside and use to start the next starter.  Use the remaining in your recipe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve been following the naturally leavened sourdough recipe from King Arthur.  I get good rise on the dough
I have been making one load either the night I make the dough, or the next day.  The other half up to a week later, as it sits in a container in the fridge.  

Bread has a good sharp sourdough bite.
I let it rise again after gentle kneading in a brotform and then bake in a Dutch oven (about 33 minutes with lid, with some water sprayed in before I put the lid on at 425F.   Then 7 minutes with lid off
Now lately my problem has been the dough collapses right after I take it out of the brotform and doesn’t come up again in the pot.  The pot is round while the form is rectangular.  And maybe that’s part of the reason.   But their other recipe I used  to use (had yeast added) generally stayed rounder.  
Maybe I don’t have enough flour?   It’s hit and miss, and generally the dough that stays refrigerated longer performs worse while baking.   Been thinking of freezing the second portion, or just halving the ingredients

* I found my problem.   When making a new batch of dough today, I realized I missed putting in the small amount of whole wheat flour.   I came out very nice and full today, not flat like it had been the last batch or two.   I guess I got complacent and figured I had the recipe memorized , mostly,   But I did not
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top