Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 6:00:27 PM EDT
I'm looking to add new office furniture to my office.

I want to get about 6 standing desks.

I'm considering buying the frames, and have somebody make me the tops for them.

I want:
-Durable and somewhat spill-resistant
-Wood-grain top, or wood grain appearance
-Completely flat and almost completely smooth (so if you try to fill out a document on the surface, there isn't a bunch of weird wavy crap in the lines).

I thought about something using flooring laminate, but it wouldn't satisfy point-3 because those always seem to have fake weatheredness in them and aren't flat and smooth.

How would you make a bunch of desk tops?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Wood with a glass top?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I like this idea.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT use real wood.

Use FORMICA as the laminate over the substrate of your choice.  Laminating FORMIXCA is easy to do (low cost).  It is hard and smooth (writing surface).  

Solid core doors have real wood edges which will show even after laminating the top.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Formica would work well

Epoxy countertops?

How fancy are you looking for?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Lowes and HD sell butcher block.  So does Ikea.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How would you make a bunch of desk tops?
View Quote

Butcher block countertop and either epoxy or polyurethane finish would be super easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top