Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2023 7:22:35 PM EDT
Patrick Cleburne's Chief of Staff.
Resigned. Took off for Mexico just as the defense of Atlanta started.
Second for David S. Terry who killed David Broderick in a duel. Chief Justice vs. Senator.
He returned to California after the cw.
Anybody know any other details about Benham?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
He took Cleburne's copy of the British Musketry Manual, repaired to Richmond to write one of the two Confederate marksmanship manual.  In those days there was no "copyright" protection like we do today and so it wasn't uncommon to plagarize when it was in another country.

He was also responsible for training the marksmanship instructor's in Cleburne's division.  The officers easily sidetracked him to regale them with tales from the ante-bellum era.

Got some stuff about him in my first book.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
He took Cleburne's copy of the British Musketry Manual, repaired to Richmond to write one of the two Confederate marksmanship manual.  In those days there was no "copyright" protection like we do today and so it wasn't uncommon to plagarize when it was in another country.

He was also responsible for training the marksmanship instructor's in Cleburne's division.  The officers easily sidetracked him to regale them with tales from the ante-bellum era.

Got some stuff about him in my first book.
View Quote

What is the title of your first book and where is it available?
I am curious about where you found out that Cleburne apparently put Belham in charge of the sharpshooters.
I knew at some time Cleburne got a few Whitworths and determined which men were the best marksman.
He realized the need to take out Federal artillery crews at a distance when he did not have his own artillery available or did not wish to draw fire to his own artillery I am guessing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:38:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By atomicbrh:

What is the title of your first book and where is it available?
I am curious about where you found out that Cleburne apparently put Belham in charge of the sharpshooters.
I knew at some time Cleburne got a few Whitworths and determined which men were the best marksman.
He realized the need to take out Federal artillery crews at a distance when he did not have his own artillery available or did not wish to draw fire to his own artillery I am guessing.
View Quote

@atomicbrh  

Look up Sharpshooters by Yee in Ebay.  If you can't find one, PM me.  It's not the little paperback but the hardcover 800 plus page book that you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top