Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2021 11:38:44 PM EDT
Any ideas?  I can't find a 41/64 drill bit that's greater than 6" with a 1/2 shank.  Any adaptors?  

I need the longer bit to ream out a Mercury outboard tiller tube (steering shaft) that seized up and needs reaming.  A 6" didn't get about 1 inch going into both ends.

" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/PS1C9uW.jpg
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the correct reamer instead of using a drill bit.  And use it on a 90° attachment on a Bridgeport.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah reamer.

MSC

Slap that bish in a cordless drill and let'r eat.

It'll get you closer than a jobber length twist drill anyway.  I mean we're not talking boring it and making bushings or anything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Shotgun bore brush on a drill has always worked for me on much older motors than that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah reamer.

MSC

It'll get you closer than a jobber length twist drill anyway.  I mean we're not talking boring it and making bushings or anything.
View Quote

12" 41/64 reamer is .64"

My drill is a .5 inch (1/2 max) collet.  99% of bits and reamers are all straight shaft at that size.  

Won't fit in a drill bit and I'm not removing that engine to turn sideways and use a Bridgeport on it.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shotgun bore brush on a drill has always worked for me on much older motors than that.
View Quote

tore a brass 12G brush to hell. Wish I had a pic  
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Drill bits do not leave a true to size hole which is why reamers are made. You run the reamer through the hole turn the motor off then retract the reamer.
Link
Guess you could put this in a lathe take off six hundred and twenty thousandths and have a half inch shaft.  But someone probably makes a reamer with a half inch shaft in the size you need
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drill bits do not leave a true to size hole which is why reamers are made. You run the reamer through the hole turn the motor off then retract the reamer.
Link
Guess you could put this in a lathe take off six hundred and twenty thousandths and have a half inch shaft.  But someone probably makes a reamer with a half inch shaft in the size you need
View Quote

Yes, unfortunately, I don't have a lathe
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
5/8” drill bit with 1/2” shank is easy to find, then hand ream what’s left
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

12" 41/64 reamer is .64"

My drill is a .5 inch (1/2 max) collet.  99% of bits and reamers are all straight shaft at that size.  

Won't fit in a drill bit and I'm not removing that engine to turn sideways and use a Bridgeport on it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah reamer.

MSC

12" 41/64 reamer is .64"

of course not, that would be ridiculous, turn the Bridgeport sideways
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Grind a slot in the back of the reamer and use a flat head screwdriver.

-arf.com

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy a hand reamer (it's got a square head) and use a tap handle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]
MSC sells drills with half inch shanks. "Reduced shank" is the term you seek.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#13]
If you just want to use a drill bit use a Silver & Deming set.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you just want to use a drill bit use a Silver & Deming set.
View Quote

Did you read ops post? He said he can't find one LONGER than 6" with a half inch shank. He's already used an S&D drill.

Hey Mouse....you could get a 41/64 on a taper shank. Not sure if at that size if it would be num 2 or 3 Morse taper, but in a pinch you could hand grind a straight diameter on the end to put in your drill chuck. Yeah, it wouldn't true or concentric but you've already run a drill from both ends, so your longer drill would be piloted well enough to continue on through the center section.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Portable line boring machine. Maybe a shop nearby has one?

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#16]
You braise a 1/2" shank onto your current drill bit to make it longer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I'd do given the situation and limitations.

Brazing is often overlooked.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo. Every two years, sure as the sun rising in the east.

ETA: If you’re determined to drill it: W. L. Fuller.  Forget that. I do woodworking and Fuller is the go-to for making round holes in wood, so they’re the first folks to come to mind.  For metal, yeah, MC.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like braised shanks! What time is dinner?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like braised shanks! What time is dinner?
View Quote

Well maybe braze it instead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

12" 41/64 reamer is .64"

View Quote
Chucking reamers are always reduced shank. But I just looked and 41/64 only drops to 9/16 for the shank size.

You're still screwed.

Ball hone on a stick it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#22]
You're going about this all wrong.

The correct answer is "Honey, I hate to do it, but I'm really going to have to buy a new drill."

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Find a guy with a surface grinder and you can chuck the reamer in a rotary fixture in a collet and grind the shaft down.  Bring beer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
12" and 18", respectively.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#25]

There *IS* an app for that

You didn't say but that sure looks like McMaster-Carr. (and I notice it's in the URL as well)

McMaster-Carr is the answer to most of life's questions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You didn't say but that sure looks like McMaster-Carr. (and I notice it's in the URL as well)

View Quote
Hell ya, I love their app.

Also, when ordering those types of drills from them in the past the brand has been Precision Twist, so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Seems like an opportunity to justify the purchase of a large horizontal boring mill for the shop.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seems like an opportunity to justify the purchase of a large horizontal boring mill for the shop.
View Quote
User names checks out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Try a brake cylinder hone
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
User names checks out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
User names checks out.
Guy on PM just picked up a super clean, very tight K&T Autometric Model B.   I'm wildly jealous.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Try a brake cylinder hone
View Quote
Ball hone. 18mm should be $20 ish.

Or the McMaster drills.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
User names checks out.
View Quote
Funny I just sent them an RFQ for a KBT-13A.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amazing how many times that's true.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
User names checks out.
Ugh, only a 44,000lb table capacity?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Guy on PM just picked up a super clean, very tight K&T Autometric Model B.   I'm wildly jealous.  
View Quote
Yeah..PM is interesting.  I only go there once in a while.

It's either old timers resurrecting old iron, which makes me jealous (mostly of having that much time) or dorks tool box racing to chase the last nano meter out of theoretical parts on machines they don't own using software they are shilling.

And everyone is too grumpy to last in GD for more than a day.

Fun distraction once in a while but I get my fill of actual machining and engineering problems most days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ugh, only a 44,000lb table capacity?
View Quote
Pfft...baby mill.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Straight flute reamer, weld hex nut on shank, run with impact wrench or by hand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Straight flute reamer, weld hex nut on shank, run with impact wrench or by hand.
View Quote

You monster.

My tooling just started crying.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Let me check and see what I have...
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You monster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You monster.

I once worked in a captive shop that would burn a dollar to save a dime, so just about everything we did was half-assed.  We were rebuilding a machine that required a new bronze leadscrew nut with a big Acme thread, the block was 10-12" long and required a threaded hole all the way through.  Being half assed, the decision on how to produce this was, I would bore the hole on a lathe in a 4 jaw, then we'd buy a hand tap, clamp that fucker to the Bridgeport table, rig up some kind of guide to try and keep it straight and hand tap the entire thing.

Well that tap was of course 2 stage, so you were turning a lot of god damn tap by time you were 6" in.  I cranked on that for a while at the end of my shift, and the other toolmaker, being in a rush, asked one of the 2nd shift maintenance guys to finish tapping it that night.

This guy made about 3 cranks by hand and decided to find a socket that would fit the tap drive square and beat it through the rest of the way with an impact wrench.  I don't know how long the tap lasted but of course he broke it off.  Being half assed, we had no way to feasibly remove the 8" plus of buried tap.  So we had to buy another big block of bronze, another tap, and do it all over again.

Think of all the money we saved
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I once worked in a captive shop that would burn a dollar to save a dime, so just about everything we did was half-assed.  We were rebuilding a machine that required a new bronze leadscrew nut with a big Acme thread, the block was 10-12" long and required a threaded hole all the way through.  Being half assed, the decision on how to produce this was, I would bore the hole on a lathe in a 4 jaw, then we'd buy a hand tap, clamp that fucker to the Bridgeport table, rig up some kind of guide to try and keep it straight and hand tap the entire thing.

Well that tap was of course 2 stage, so you were turning a lot of god damn tap by time you were 6" in.  I cranked on that for a while at the end of my shift, and the other toolmaker, being in a rush, asked one of the 2nd shift maintenance guys to finish tapping it that night.

This guy made about 3 cranks by hand and decided to find a socket that would fit the tap drive square and beat it through the rest of the way with an impact wrench.  I don't know how long the tap lasted but of course he broke it off.  Being half assed, we had no way to feasibly remove the 8" plus of buried tap.  So we had to buy another big block of bronze, another tap, and do it all over again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You monster.

Yeah - that sounds like shops I've worked at back in the day for sure!
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Speaking of taps- one of my DX6's seized, the nut rusted up.  My fault, didn't check coolant concentration.

Now I gotta procure, or make, 1"-8LH tap to clean up the threads.  Halfway considering buying a bolt and fluting it since I'm just cleaning existing threads.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Speaking of taps- one of my DX6's seized, the nut rusted up.  My fault, didn't check coolant concentration.

Now I gotta procure, or make, 1"-8LH tap to clean up the threads.  Halfway considering buying a bolt and fluting it since I'm just cleaning existing threads.

View Quote
That might work but the bolt is likely too undersize to really clear anything.  I would turn and thread a piece to fit just shy of tight and flute it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That might work but the bolt is likely too undersize to really clear anything.  I would turn and thread a piece to fit just shy of tight and flute it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the way to do it!  I've done that several times myself, usually use ETD-150 since it is hard enough to not wear out right away. I have done a few out of tool steel that I knew would see more than occasional use, those were hardened afterwards of course.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That is the way to do it!  I've done that several times myself, usually use ETD-150 since it is hard enough to not wear out right away. I have done a few out of tool steel that I knew would see more than occasional use, those were hardened afterwards of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just pick something dissimilar enough not to gall

I have a Griffin Spartan permanently married to a Tikka T3 because of tight thread fit and stainless on stainless
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quick and easy solution.

If the hole needs to be a precision size use a reamer to take out the last few thousandths.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

At a sometimes painful price.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I've never threaded on my new quickturn....seems like a great time to try it.  

I'll use stressproof, don't think I have any etd left.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you fellers. I went this route.  

Other ideas were great.  

I really need to get better machining tools and some skills to go along with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top