Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2022 2:02:12 AM EDT
I am on the market for a new bike and really want to get an EMBT. It is crazy how dialed in the bike industry has their pricing.

Anyway, I came across a used 2020 canyon spectral CF 9.0 (27.5) for $2,800. I would really like to slap a motor on there. Any thoughts or should I just drop the dime on a pure EMBT.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been researching this as well but for a flat bar gravel bike.  I reached out to my local shop and they recommended going with a ebike over conversion.  Not sure if they were just trying to get another sale, but i was also asking them to do the conversion.  They were aware i would buy and have the install done by them though

They said the ebikes are built a little different and offer better experience.  I do know i would have been in it 1k just for the kit and the battery, so currently looking at ebikes

Yamaha seems to have some good options and you wouldn't be to far off the price of converting that bike

https://www.yamahabicycles.com/mountain-bikes/
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2W0X1] [#2]
How much work are you comfortable with on the build? If you don't mind spot welding your own pack and doing all the wiring, you can build a something that will outperform retail bikes for around 5K.

https://icancycling.com/collections/e-bike-frame/products/carbon-enduro-ebike-frame-e11

Build using the 500w bafang M600 motor and gut the batter pack to build your own using sanyo 18650G cells. You will get a 17.5ah battery out of the build. Top it off with fox suspension and carbon wheelset.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I’m completely priced out of the E MBT market.

The more research I do, the more I realize $4-5,000 is considered entry level.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:44:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flgfish] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hasty1:
I think I’m completely priced out of the E MBT market.

The more research I do, the more I realize $4-5,000 is considered entry level.
View Quote

Yeah.  That’s a mid-level FS analog bike.   My “value” FS bike was over $3k.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Bikes Direct and look at the Hal Eboost 600. It is equipped with Sram Eagle 12 drive train, Sram hydraulic brakes, Rock Shok forks, Rock Shox rear shock, WTB 27.5 wheels, WTB seat and a remote dropper post. They've gone up 1k since I ordered mine, but they are still less than half of what you are going to pay for a similarly equipped full suspension MTB and a great bike for the money.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hasty1:
I am on the market for a new bike and really want to get an EMBT. It is crazy how dialed in the bike industry has their pricing.

Anyway, I came across a used 2020 canyon spectral CF 9.0 (27.5) for $2,800. I would really like to slap a motor on there. Any thoughts or should I just drop the dime on a pure EMBT.
View Quote

i have a 21 levo comp...they are awesome. Yamaha's were not out when i bought mine...but they are great, a few Friends have them and or the husky ebike...also great
i highly reccomend any of these
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top