Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2021 11:23:54 AM EDT
I am looking for books on the M1 Grand. What would you recommend? Print and out of print books. Hopefully I can find out of print books on eBay. I have a rifle and I am just trying to learn more about it and the history of it.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Snip
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is no problem asking a question like that in this forum.
View Quote

You are absolutely correct
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]
deleted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I am asking the question in two places. One is a collectors area and one is from readers. I see nothing wrong with it. I may get a few different answers. People don't hangout on both sides of ARFcom.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Book of the Garand by Major General Julian Hatcher.
Book of the Garand
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
As above, Hatcher's book is excellent for the early history of the M1.

For the mechanical details nothing is better then the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual...........

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/books-amp-videos/books/rifle-gunsmithing-books/us-30-caliber-service-rifles-volumes-i-ii-shop-manual-prod25718.aspx

Another very good book.....
"The M1 Rifle" by Bruce Canfield.  He's an editor for the NRA and an internationally known military firearms expert.

The US Ordnance Field Manuals.  These are the operator's Field manual and the Ordnance repair Field manual.
You can get them online here.........
NOTE: The info on what user name and password to use to get access..........

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone! I did order a few books this week. I have two of them in and I'm waiting on the next two to arrive. It will be sometime next week.

What I ordered so far -

M1 Garnnd Rifle by Bruce N Canfield.

Book of the Garand by Julian S Hatcher.

The M1 Garand WWII History and Development, 1900 through 2 September 1945 by Scott Duff (waiting for this one to come in).

The M1 Garand Post WWII by Scott Duff (waiting for this one to come in).

Next up are some manuals on maintenance and a couple other books that have been mentioned to me. If you have anything else to suggest, please feel free to do so.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top