Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2019 12:19:16 PM EDT
Long time all grain brewer and kegger (havn't done it in a long time however).  A local brew pub has a pretty good selection of ciders that rotate every month or so.  Virtually every cider I've tasted there has been good to fantastic.  I HATE the taste of coconut so I avoid all of those.  I've been purchasing growlers semi weekly and have become more enamored with the thought of making my own.

I don't want the typical hard apple cider.  He has ones that have melon or pomegranate or star fruit and other crazy sounding concoctions.  From what I understand theres no mashing in with 10 lbs of grain, step mashing, sparging and boils with multiple hop additions.  Kinda seems like it takes all the fun out of it really....

I will probably go knock heads with the brewer there but can someone here explain in a nutshell the whole operation?  I imagine its getting 5 gallons of cider (aka the mash) compounded with the flavors you want.  I guess its mostly apple juice with some pomegranate juice that you just ferment and keg?

Where do you guys get "brewable" juices.  Do you add any hops?  Is there a real boil? do I need to use my wort chiller (I would assume so so that I can get the temp to a yeast hospitable temp.  Regular blow offs for primary fermentation? Do you secondary?  Ever add irish moss or gelatin to help clarity?  Is there an acceptable carbonation level?  I used to crash cool the secondary carboy, rack into kegs force carbonate in corny kegs then blow off headspace gas (outside so I don't make another mess like the first time I got the valve stuck open in the basement.....) and serve at 4-5 psi.

Ive got jockey boxes and tons of glass carboys for primaries and scecondaries 20 or so pepsi corny kegs and all the tools to all grain brew beer.  My coworker just started homebrewing again (he was my mentor and teacher (but I got a lot better than he did).  I hear you cant get Klages anymore and I used B-brite and grain alcohol as sanitizers if that gives you an idea how long I've been out of the game.  His enthusiasm has got me wanting to brew again- I just don't want to make my favorite pale ales (A Sierra Nevada Clone) or my most excellent IPA (close to a Stone IPA or even a Stone Ruination.  I always was a hop head even before it was a fad, which seems to have mostly run its course.

Some of these ciders from my local place are really amazing and delicious and like I said I have turned on 20-30 friends to their taste and they all go get growlers now.
I could brew a spot on batch of a Sierra Pale Ale clone for 24 bucks and get 52-54 beers out of it from the keg.  It breaks my heart to buy a six pack of Dogfish 60 for 13 bucks and change when I know I could make it for a hell of a lot less.

I realize I have a lot of research to do but this is my first real question into cider making and ARFCOM has always answered my questions or at least made me laugh with some replies.  All help is greatly appreciated...
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Just in time for Christmas finished up my holiday cider (dubbed "Angry Elf").

5 gallons of apple cider from Whole Foods, a couple lbs of turbinado sugar, packet of Nottingham pitched directly into the cider all swirled around a few times and let it do its thing! ~10 days in primary, then racked to a glass carboy while adding Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate to kill off yeast and prevent it from kicking up again. ~20 days in carboy then I added Pectic Enzyme and some gelatin to clear it up a bit more (because it was cloudy cider to begin with, it needed some pushing to clear up a bit more). Wasn't 100% clear but good enough for me to throw in a keg.

Before adding the CO2, added some tart cherry concentrate to taste. Gave the cider a very smooth, warming, Christmas-y flavor. Got close to 30 500ML bottles out of the 5gal batch. They lasted less than a week with friends and family

Starting this today:
5gal apple juice (cheap stuff from grocery store without any additives other than vit C)
1 can white grape juice concentrate
1 can pomegranate juice concentrate
10t Tartaric Acid
6t Pectic Enzyme
3t Tannins
6t Yeast Nutrient
1 pack premier cuvee

From primary to full bottle conditioning will take 4-6 weeks.

I really enjoy making cider right now, it's more idiot-proof than beer
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
There's many ways to do this.
I'm guessing what he's doing is adding fruit in secondary after fermentation is complete. He probably "brews" a big batch of cider and then splits it out with different fruits.

Pure cider is actually wine, not beer. It doesn't contain grains, just apple juice and possibly sugar. It's possible to make a beer-cider, but not practical for a small brewery.

Ways:
1) add fruit in primary along with apple juice
2) stabilize and back sweeten with fruit juice concentrate
3) add fruit in secondary, possibly in a mesh bag

and there are probably more ways than that.
A local place makes a base batch and does all the flavoring after fermentation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top