Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2021 3:19:30 PM EDT
So I have a extra PI I’d like to use to build a car “computer” to act like a auxiliary light switch to control off road lights and maybe be a entertainment type system for music and video.  I have a 2021 gladiator that doesn’t have the auxiliary panel for lights and from what I have read it’s a pita to install due to having to remove the entire dash to install it, so I am thinking I could power the the PI using the 12v lighter with some kind of step down to the 5v needed for the PI.  I’d also want to mount a small touch screen inside on the dash as well as to be able to control the PI from a smartphone or tablet via wifi or hardwired cell service.  Anyone done this before?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I know there is a Bluetooth controlled relay module that some overlanders have been using. As for doing it with a Pi...I don't know of a solution right now (though I'm sure one exists).
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know there is a Bluetooth controlled relay module that some overlanders have been using. As for doing it with a Pi...I don't know of a solution right now (though I'm sure one exists).
View Quote

Thanks for sharing this. I don’t know what I need one of these for but for $16.99 in an enclosure I think I will figure something out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have built a bunch of pi drop boxes. What you are describing will create more issues than it will solve. G check out carpc forums. You need to get a good solid state relay board and pay someone who knows how to take your dash apart and put it back together. Or spend the weekend with a plastic spudge tool inside your truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top