Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2022 9:25:58 PM EDT
In the past 1.5 years I went from over 300 to 250 pounds using a combination of better eating, no pop or alcohol and putting over 100 miles a week on my bike (thanks to covid working from home ) I'll be turning 49 this year.

In the new year I'm looking at adding light weight training. I'm looking to add some strength mostly core to help with past back problems.

The only gyms in town are the Anytime type. I've been reading about sandbag training and wonder if this is the better way to go.

So I'm looking for advice if the gym would be better or get some at home equipment.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Any reason you're avoiding traditional barbell strength training?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have and have used lots of equipment.  However, two or three kettlebells used wisely can do most anything you need.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are rooted, and have the room for it, you can't beat a home gym.

Can be a little pricey, but a rack, some weights and a bar, and maybe some dumbbells or kettlebells will do a lot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In the past 1.5 years I went from over 300 to 250 pounds using a combination of better eating, no pop or alcohol and putting over 100 miles a week on my bike (thanks to covid working from home ) I'll be turning 49 this year.

In the new year I'm looking at adding light weight training. I'm looking to add some strength mostly core to help with past back problems.

The only gyms in town are the Anytime type. I've been reading about sandbag training and wonder if this is the better way to go.

So I'm looking for advice if the gym would be better or get some at home equipment.
View Quote

For core training and back problems, I would look into kettlebell training.

Inversion table, and reverse hyper can be magic with back problems, if you have the space and budget.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
For your use, get a 30-35lb kettlebell and start doing Simple and Sinister (100 Swings and 10 Turkish Get Ups). It’s a quick workout that will let you build up some work capacity and core strength. Get a coach to run you through both movements.

After 6 months, add a 53lb bell and keep going. Then a 70lber after another 6 months.

From there you can look at barbell work (or before, it’s not a prerequisite) and learn the basics, Squat, Deadlift, bench, and OHP. Higher weights for shorter sets.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
So I've decided to get a gym membership so I have more access to equipment.

Where is a good place to read about setting up a couple lifting routines and ser/rep for starting out?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where is a good place to read about setting up a couple lifting routines and ser/rep for starting out?
View Quote

Starting Strength
Stronglifts 5x5
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Was going to say kettle balls.  You only need a few

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like using machines since I can get in and get out without relying on a partner for spotting. Just make sure that any routine is hitting all the muscle groups you need to exercise. I do supplement with free weights for shoulder shrugs, and bands for working the rotator cuffs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I like both barbell training and sandbag work. Pick up a light sand bag, and do barbell training first then finish with a sandbag.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can be a little pricey, but a rack, some weights and a bar, and maybe some dumbbells or kettlebells will do a lot.
View Quote

^^^This is the answer.  I have a squat rack a couple benches, couple barbells, adjustable dumbbells, and all the weights I need.  That's it nothing fancy.  For a busy life style it's the way to go.  No time wasted driving to a gym or waiting on other people or being distracted during a workout.  Never have to be rushed or worry about forgetting something like my EAA's because everything is right here at home.  Workout when ever I'm feeling it.  Want to get a quick pump after a big carb loaded supper go grab a barbell and do a few sets.  

The convenience and lack of dealing with the public or distractions has been huge for me.  I never miss a workout ever and I can always have a meal pre and post workout on time every time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

^^^This is the answer.  I have a squat rack a couple benches, couple barbells, adjustable dumbbells, and all the weights I need.  That's it nothing fancy.  For a busy life style it's the way to go.  No time wasted driving to a gym or waiting on other people or being distracted during a workout.  Never have to be rushed or worry about forgetting something like my EAA's because everything is right here at home.  Workout when ever I'm feeling it.  Want to get a quick pump after a big carb loaded supper go grab a barbell and do a few sets.  

The convenience and lack of dealing with the public or distractions has been huge for me.  I never miss a workout ever and I can always have a meal pre and post workout on time every time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was done in 30 minutes today.

I hit a top set on rows and squats, then just worked triples until I didn't want to anymore....then ate a half a sub I found in the fridge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top