Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2021 1:48:24 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a small lithium jump starter to keep in my F150 when I go to remote places.
I want something small that I can keep in my glove compartment without having to charge it every week but with sufficient power to jump start my F150 truck.
I've done some preliminary checking and it seems there are models that cost from $39 to $149 that fit my need.  I want one that will last couple years.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
NOCO is the way to go.

I have one in each vehicle and a small one for my motorcycle for long trips

They are great. They hold a charge even in winter. Also its a lot easier to help someone out without positioning your vehicle

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=noco+jump+starter&qid=1614275356&sr=8-3
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NOCO is the way to go.

They are great. They hold a charge even in winter. Also its a lot easier to help someone out without positioning your vehicle

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=noco+jump+starter&qid=1614275356&sr=8-3
View Quote

I've been using that same one for a couple of years and it has started everything I've hooked it up to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Noco's are really nice. I have a few along with some of the cheaper chinesium ones.

Set reminders in your phone or something to check them every couple of months though to make sure there's no discharge issues. Nocos should be solid but it's good to know what kind of discharge rate the pack has so you don't have a dead pack when you actually need it.

I try to check mine every 3-6 months as a rule of thumb or before any big road trip and top them off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=67T590OH97QB&dchild=1&keywords=jump+and+carry+660&qid=1614275550&sprefix=jump+and+carry%2Caps%2C413&sr=8-3

I know it's not small, and you can't store it in your glovebox, but you are driving a truck.

This will be much more reliable, and for jump starters that is kinda important.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
no bars digital readout for amount charge left and how much you lost on a jump.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw a youtube video on one that can charge off of a dead battery....]

a capacitor system...

Might want to do some research.

Red
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several NOCOs and have been happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NOCO is the way to go.

View Quote

This, although I would go up to the gb70, now called HD

They go on sale, I think I paid $160 for the gb70
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
NOCO is the way to go.

View Quote

Maybe this.  But if you have a v8 you may want to consider the next size up, I believe it’s the gb70.  Also rtfm and learn how to override the line voltage sensor.  A lot of these need to detect a minimum voltage in the line in order to kick on to start an engine, something like 7 volts, meaning they won’t start battery-less or with a totally failed battery.  These and others enable you to override that by pressing and holding a button.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a GB40 in each vehicle, and also in my parents and mother in law's vehicles.  The most recent ones I bought were made in Malaysia (moved from being made in China, which to me is a bonus).
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=67T590OH97QB&dchild=1&keywords=jump+and+carry+660&qid=1614275550&sprefix=jump+and+carry%2Caps%2C413&sr=8-3

I know it's not small, and you can't store it in your glovebox, but you are driving a truck.

This will be much more reliable, and for jump starters that is kinda important.
View Quote

I had one like that when I drove a van.
It work well few times I jumped my van and other people's cars but the battery wouldn't hold a charge after a while.
I ended up getting rid of it after about 3 years.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe this.  But if you have a v8 you may want to consider the next size up, I believe it’s the gb70.  Also rtfm and learn how to override the line voltage sensor.  A lot of these need to detect a minimum voltage in the line in order to kick on to start an engine, something like 7 volts, meaning they won’t start battery-less or with a totally failed battery.  These and others enable you to override that by pressing and holding a button.
View Quote

I have the F150 with 2.7EB if that matters
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.harborfreight.com/450-peak-amp-lithium-ion-jump-starter-and-12v-power-pack-usb-led-work-light-62749.html

Good to go here.   This works flawlessly.  

This pack uses real LifePo4 batteries that blows away Lithium Ion or Lithium polymer.  Specs on ad and website are wrong apparently.  

From the manual -

Page 5
For technical questions, please call 1-888-866-5797.
Item 62749

SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Specifications
Starting Current 221 A
Peak Current 450 A
Battery
Lithium Iron Phosphate 12,000 mAh
12 VDC Power Output6 A
USB Output
5 VDC, 2 A
LED Flashlight
3 W / 250 Lumens

The charge holds for months at a time on mine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an xp-10 by antigravity.  It is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a noco and the only thing it’s good for is using it as a battery pack to charge cell phones

It’s junk.

Maybe I need a bigger one but it never starts vehicles when I need it to
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Noco's are really nice. I have a few along with some of the cheaper chinesium ones.

Set reminders in your phone or something to check them every couple of months though to make sure there's no discharge issues. Nocos should be solid but it's good to know what kind of discharge rate the pack has so you don't have a dead pack when you actually need it.

I try to check mine every 3-6 months as a rule of thumb or before any big road trip and top them off.
View Quote

This.

And plan on having to replace it every 2-3 years. They are disposable for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I had two Rugged Geeks.  After several years, the battery in one of them swelled up, so I tossed it and replaced it with a NOCO.  Both brands have worked great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
TopVision
View Quote

Over the last year or so I've bought 3 of those TopVision models, one for my dad, one for my wife and one for me.

They have been used a number of times and I'm happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought this brand last year. Model I bought is no longer available.
Very satisfied with it. I also have a noco jumper but it will not hold a charge plus even charged has failed to start trucks that the Tacklife has started
with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Same here. I started my 70hp tractor during Snowvid 19 with it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
The Audew can be had today for $65 using the discount code AUDEWST1 at checkout at Amazon.

Amazon - Audew Upgraded Car Jump Starters, Jump Box 2000A Peak 20000mAh Battery Charger Automotive(up to All Gas and 8.5L Diesel), 12V Battery Booster with 3 Modes LED Flashlight and Dual QC USB Ports

Here's the ProjectFarm review of an earlier version:
Which Car Jump Starter Is Best? Let's find out! NOCO GB40 vs Duracell vs Audew

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#24]
first post nailed it

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I have used DBPower twice on my wife's vehicle and it has worked perfectly every time.  Now, if I could only get my wife to not leave her dome lights on all day and night.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have used DBPower twice on my wife's vehicle and it has worked perfectly every time.  Now, if I could only get my wife to not leave her dome lights on all day and night.
View Quote
Switch to LED if you haven't already.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
NOCO is the way to go.

View Quote
This is the way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I got the Noco GB40 for $65 shipped during black Friday. It's saved my bacon at least once. Started my Hemi no problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#29]

I've had that Audew for 2 years now.

Used it to jumpstart a 6.0l V8 easily (battery was so dead, there wasn't even a click when you turned the key. No accessory/instrument lights even tried turning on). Also started numerous other vehicles with it.

Aside from the fact that it's powerful and starts vehicles easily, one of the features I REALLY like about that model is the digital battery life readout that shows battery life percentage as opposed to using 3-4 LEDs to indicate state of remaining charge (never know if those LEDs are like some gas gauges, i.e. continue to show Full for 150 miles, but once it moves from Full, the remaining markers aren't anywhere comparable. The last 1/4 only goes ~65 miles where from Full to 3/4 goes about 225 miles).

I left the Audew in the Yukon 24/7 from 2019. Checked it every month. From Fall 2019 when I fully charged it, to ~Fall 2020, it had dropped from 100% to 97% through a Michigan winter and summer (Yukon is always outside).

When I used it to jump the dead V8 last Fall (and it immediately started up on the first crank, with that flat battery) it went from 97% to 92%.

I've used it to jump 5 different vehicles in 2 years. 100% recommended. Out of ALL the people I've helped jumpstart (who were ALL impressed that something so small could easily jumpstart a vehicle), only ONE person bought their own jump pack (and it was some cheap generic). The others just said, "Well, if I need a jumpstart, I'll just ask you". ... because I'll always be around when you might need a jump? WTF.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I was talking to a coworker here and he said his NOCO GB40 couldn't start his Ram 1500 last year but did start his daughter's Hyundai Elantra twice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Thanks buddy!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOCO is the way to go.

I have the GB70, it is an amazing piece of technology. I recently jumped my dads old truck, a 1999 F-250 V-10 with no issues at all. I'll never carry jumper cables again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#33]
GB70 here
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Look for a test report on youtube. I have 2 of GB40 and it won't start my fork lift. Not very impressed with it. The other one failed in about a year and a half
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Check out this Project Farm video
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought an NOCO 5000? on Amazon during Cyber Monday last year for the exact same reason. Used it to start the woman unit's car a couple times in sub zero weather a few weeks ago. Hard to use jumper cables when vehicle is parked nose in, random office building parking lot.

Note to self: When you tell woman unit to get her battery checked in July, make sure it is done before winter.

Second note to self: When you jump start your woman's car at her office, because the battery you told her to get replaced is frozen solid, tell her not to stop at the drug store on the way home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't think I'd trust any of those damn things. Manual transmission bump start master race.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Go one size bigger than the one the manufacturer says can start your biggest engine. Just in case.

Haven’t had to test the limits of my BEATIT unit. They say it’s good for 7.0L gas engines, but I’ve only needed it so far for 3.5 and 3L gas engines.

Wonder if it’ll crank my 5.0 V8?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Don't think I'd trust any of those damn things. Manual transmission bump start master race.
View Quote

Doesn't work so well on flat, snow covered ground, much less if you have to try it solo in those conditions.

It's also why I switched from jumper cables to jump packs. TWO separate occasions so far, when I was stuck with a dead battery in the middle of Winter, with no one around to give me a jump start, despite always carrying jumper cables. Once was out in the sticks at ~2-3 a.m when it was -12f. Didn't see ANY vehicles to flag someone down for a jump (and didn't have AAA at the time). Finally got ONE friend to answer my call, who was willing to drive out to give me a jump. Bought one of those bulky lead-acid jump packs after that.

Another time was when a semi ran me off the road in a snowstorm. The lead acid jump pack had died a few years prior and I'd never replaced it. My mistake. Was stuck in the snow for hours before the tow truck arrived to pull me out. Battery had drained enough by that time, that it failed to turn the starter enough to start after the wrecker pulled me out (didn't want to chance running  the vehicle, as the snow was up to the windows and I didn't want to risk CO poisoning).

I asked if I could get a jump so I could be on my way. Driver told me, "This is a big rig wrecker with a 24v system. Can't give you a jump. It would fry your ECU. This isn't setup to be able to tow your vehicle, but I can rig a tow rope and pull you back to the shop. You'll have to stay alert to get on the brakes so you don't rearend me when I slow/stop, but we have a jump pack at the shop".

Well, their jump pack at the shop was dead, the only guy there was fielding calls nonstop, so I had to wait for a 12v truck to return to the shop, except they had so many calls, the trucks were going straight from one call to the next. After waiting a few hours at the shop, with no trucks returning so I could get a jump, I talked a customer who walked in into giving me a jump. I keep jump packs in ALL vehicles now, and check them monthly. Haven't bothered with jumper cables in years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a cobra model but I've never had to use it yet, I got it last Christmas but it is small.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Check out this Project Farm video
View Quote

Came here to post this video.

It's well worth watching the entire video especially him trying to start a diesel tractor with a cold pack towards the end of the video.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a GB40 on my dryer. I only drive local, so I only carry my ice shanty now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have an xp-10 by antigravity.  It is pretty awesome.
View Quote

same here. that things is great. its case slides easily under the driver's seat of my 4runner. also got the tire inflator/air pump you can hook into it.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#45]

That the one. Mine has served me well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine is in my wallet.  AAA+ membership card.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I have one from Jumptop that has started everything I've thrown at it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Mine is in my wallet.  AAA+ membership card.
View Quote

I have one of those too but it's not going to do me any good when I'm hunting on state land that's 5 miles from the nearest paved road.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://www.harborfreight.com/450-peak-amp-lithium-ion-jump-starter-and-12v-power-pack-usb-led-work-light-62749.html

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/2/62749_zzz_alt_500.jpg.jpeg

Good to go here.   This works flawlessly.  

This pack uses real LifePo4 batteries that blows away Lithium Ion or Lithium polymer.  Specs on ad and website are wrong apparently.  

From the manual -

Page 5
For technical questions, please call 1-888-866-5797.
Item 62749

SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Specifications
Starting Current 221 A
Peak Current 450 A
Battery
Lithium Iron Phosphate 12,000 mAh
12 VDC Power Output6 A
USB Output
5 VDC, 2 A
LED Flashlight
3 W / 250 Lumens

The charge holds for months at a time on mine.
View Quote
I have two of these and they work great, I have used them quite a bit without any complaints.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Had a $50 gift card from Team Gift Exchange, with the discount code it ended up costing me about $20 out of pocket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top