Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2021 11:35:35 AM EDT
Now that our Starlink is up and working well I'm looking to add a different router and expand the wifi coverage inside (and possibly outside) the house.

2 story home, approx 2k sq ft per level.  Unfinished lower level, with full access to walls and joists for top level.  Starlink cable feeds into my mechanical room / hobby room in the lower level, essentially centrally located in the home.  Can run wiring wherever I need to.

We have a bunch of devices.  3 TV's w/ xbox each, 3 computers, 2-3 tablets, 4 or so smart phones, 3 or 4 Alexa devices, I'm putting together my NAS, smart thermostat, smart garage door opener, I'd like to add security cameras now that I have sufficient connectivity, etc.

Looking for suggestions on routers / wifi expansion devices.  Prior to the Starlink, I was using my ancient WRT-54G running aftermarket firmware.  A router on which I can run ExpressVPN is a bonus.

Questions on the stuff I don't know that I don't know?  Suggestions?  
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have less than 24hrs on my Orbi mesh install.  They have really sped up my whole ~2600 sq. foot house.  Easy install as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it depends on your knowlege.  how much you want to spend and time on what we can suggest

https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-router#recommended-routers

the website lists those compatible with their service..

a wrt54g

good grief

View Quote

My wife says I don't do well with change.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go poke around SNBForums and form your own opinion.
IMHO, just about anything on the market now will have you better off.
Personally I run ASUS gear since it can be expanded into a mesh system (AIMesh).

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
https://amplifi.com/alien

I got this for my 2400sf single story and it is amazing
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have less than 24hrs on my Orbi mesh install.  They have really sped up my whole ~2600 sq. foot house.  Easy install as well.
View Quote

+1 on the Orbi system.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now that our Starlink is up and working well I'm looking to add a different router and expand the wifi coverage inside (and possibly outside) the house.

2 story home, approx 2k sq ft per level.  Unfinished lower level, with full access to walls and joists for top level.  Starlink cable feeds into my mechanical room / hobby room in the lower level, essentially centrally located in the home.  Can run wiring wherever I need to.

We have a bunch of devices.  3 TV's w/ xbox each, 3 computers, 2-3 tablets, 4 or so smart phones, 3 or 4 Alexa devices, I'm putting together my NAS, smart thermostat, smart garage door opener, I'd like to add security cameras now that I have sufficient connectivity, etc.

Looking for suggestions on routers / wifi expansion devices.  Prior to the Starlink, I was using my ancient WRT-54G running aftermarket firmware.  A router on which I can run ExpressVPN is a bonus.

Questions on the stuff I don't know that I don't know?  Suggestions?
View Quote
DD-WRT on a WRT-54G was pretty awesome.

In 2006.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Purchased a Linksys WRT3200ACM so I can put ExpressVPN on the router for the house.  So I'm moving from 2005 technology up to 2016 tech!  Woot!
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
im building a house, do I really need a "mesh" system?  Ive identified 3 locs to do coverage from, can I just get 3 of those ubiquity flying saucer AP dealios, all on different wifi channels, and all their ethernet wired to my firewall/router/dhcp server?  would my wireless clients then seamlessly switch back and forth to whatever AP is a good enough signal?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
im building a house, do I really need a "mesh" system?  Ive identified 3 locs to do coverage from, can I just get 3 of those ubiquity flying saucer AP dealios, all on different wifi channels, and all their ethernet wired to my firewall/router/dhcp server?  would my wireless clients then seamlessly switch back and forth to whatever AP is a good enough signal?
View Quote

If the access points are all wired back to the network, no.  Mesh will wirelessly uplink to your network and extend coverage, though you will lose 50% throughput per wireless hop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top