Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 11:33:25 AM EDT
So I'm looking to get a new lense and looking for ideas I mostly like to take scenic photos I have read to get a wide-angle lens.

I also a few days ago during a storm tried to take photos of the lighting but learned too late how to do it but I did get a few good photos of the moon. So I'd like to know a good lense for astrophotography and one with a good zoom for the moon.

I'd also like to try taking photos of the lighting again so looking for any advice on that and tools that might be needed. I know a good tripod but is there anything else?

Thank!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak to astrophotography, but for lightning, I set my 24-120 to 24mm and use the Nikon remote. For anything your doing with a tripod, stability is key. Once you get the settings for lightning, it's hitting the remote or the shutter button.

With a D5600, remember the crop factor. Using a 24mm lens makes it more like a 35mm lens on a full frame. Something for lightning or landscape, you probably want to go with something like a 16mm lens. Those 18-55 DX kit lenses can be good for that, if you're on a budget.

What is your budget?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
For lightning and star photography, the internet will tell you to shoot with a wide aperture and high ISO. But...i seem to get better results at ISO 400-800 and F5.6. Usually with a 10-15 second shutter.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For lightning and star photography, the internet will tell you to shoot with a wide aperture and high ISO. But...i seem to get better results at ISO 400-800 and F5.6. Usually with a 10-15 second shutter.

View Quote

This..Night lightning isn't all that hard because you can go with those long exposures.

18mm, 25 sec, f/9, ISO 800

DSC_4337_SuperBolt-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr

16mm, 8 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100

Small Cell 20170718 by FredMan, on Flickr

Day lightning is a different animal.  I just put it on Ch and blast away hoping to get a frame.

11mm, 1/2 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100

Lightning Rainbow 20180514 by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok I was reading that I would need a 10-20mm for the landscape.

Money now is kind of tight but willing to spend $250 or so for a lense even more if I can see the lense is worth it.

This whole lens thing is new to me when I did photography with old 35mm back in the 90's all I had was one lens. I know you could by more just never saw the need to back then. After all it was just a hight school class.

Now that I'm getting back into it I see a lot has changed or I was not taught a lot back in my photography class.

Thank!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Money now is kind of tight but willing to spend $250 or so for a lense even more if I can see the lense is worth it.

This whole lens thing is new to me when I did photography with old 35mm back in the 90's all I had was one lens. I know you could by more just never saw the need to back then. After all it was just a hight school class.

Now that I'm getting back into it I see a lot has changed or I was not taught a lot back in my photography class.

Thank!
View Quote

KEH has the Tokina 11-16 for about $250.  Ex+ condition.

This is a hell of a good lens.

KEH Link
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This whole lens thing is new to me when I did photography with old 35mm back in the 90's all I had was one lens. I know you could by more just never saw the need to back then. After all it was just a high school class.

Thank!
View Quote

10-20mm is good if you want to go that wide. Half of my landscapes are done with a 70-200mm. It all depends on what your artistic vision is for the shot. Get the right lens for the job.

Since wide angle is not really my thing, I am looking to get a 18-35mm (or similar) just to round out the lens collection for those few times I want something wider than 24mm on my full-frame DSLR.

Keep in mind you are using a DX sensor, which give you a narrower angle of view. This often means you need a very wide lens when you want a visually wide image.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Done this before, but here's what different focal lengths give you from a stationary location.  D500, so crop sensor.

11mm by FredMan, on Flickr

16mm by FredMan, on Flickr

24mm by FredMan, on Flickr

35mm by FredMan, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top