Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 1:12:40 PM EDT
So don't know what another place to post this! I have not seen other aquatic places to post this question.

So last year I had the joy of helping with a Boy Scout camp me being an amphibious Marine infantry they wanted me to help out at the river. This river was awesome! I loved spending time teaching young men how to swim!

The problem was my footgear was Walmart cheap since it was from Walmart with the short notice I was given!

So I'm looking for a footgear that would be good in a rocky river. I felt every rock the same if I was barefoot with the cheap ones. So looking for ideas on a better footgear for the next outing!

Really I do hope there is one this year! Pains me to see these boys trying to become Eagle Scout's and they can't do much because of the virus going around!

Also, shame on Texas state parks not allowing people to get out and be healthy!! They closed them all down at the risk! Yet you have about 1,000,000 times the risk of getting the virus at your local grocery store then you do out in the open wild! Yet they are not closed! Rant later about that!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear these with my drysuit when kayaking. Great traction in slippery conditions.

NRS ATB Wetshoes

I have two other styles of NRS water shoes, both of which are lighter than the ATB's, that I use in warmer conditions.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I LOVE these. Great traction, low weight/low profile, sand and pebbles don't usually get in. Dry fast and are fine for hiking as well.

https://olukai.com/collections/men/products/eleu-trainer-mens-athletic-shoes?variant=27707884208227
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Tennis shoes have always served me well in the river or creeks. No particular brand.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tennis shoes have always served me well in the river or creeks. No particular brand.
View Quote

Ditto this. I used to go to Payless and get 2-3 pairs of the cheapest sneakers they had. They were designated river/lake shoes. Work great, plenty comfortable enough, and when they wear or rot out toss 'em.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are doing a lot of standing and walking in rivers while teaching the kids you might want to look at wading boots used by fishermen. Studded work great on slimy rocks.

ETA: $79 and comes with studs you can install for slimy rocks.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-ULTRALIGHT-LUG-WADING-BOOTS/1921135.uts?slotId=11

I use studded wading boots for river or jetty fishing, they work great. You can put them on at the truck and hike where you need to go.

Felt soles work well in rocks but wear out quickly, and more and more states are banning them because the transmit parasites from river to river.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Those hippie sandals (not the Tevas).... Chacos.  They can take a beating. Keen is also GTG.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]

I use these when kayaking around oyster beds.

https://www.levelsix.com/products/creek-boot-2-0
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Altama Maritime Assault - Low's or Mid's

Altama Maritime Assault low's

I wear them with wetsuits, drysuits, any water activity really.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Canyoneering folks wear special footwear that might fit your needs.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top