Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2019 6:36:18 PM EDT
My cheapie Van der Hagen came apart and looking for a replacement. I use mainly soap sticks or from a bowl. any recommendations on type and where to buy from. Not looking to spend a huge amount but would like something at least decent. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of brush are you thinking about getting (boar, badger, synthetic, horse) ?
What are the main aspects you looking for in a brush (lots of backbone or floppy, pillowy soft or something with a lot of scritch/scrub, small or large, ect.) ?
What is your budget?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help! I'm thinking pure badger. I use soaps mostly, not creams and don't mind a course brush. I want something that won't shed either like my last one. How important is it to let the brush hang when done? A cheap stand would be nice too, but thing about $40 at the very most. I'd even be up for a quality set of razor, brush, and stand. My razor is a plastic Feather. I would benefit from something with some more weight I think.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
cheap brush - great reviews and doesn't break the bank.

cheap stand, works good enough

Merkur 34c

this is a bit over your budget but not by much.  just a stab.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been happy with this one:

Syntheic Brush
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Ended up getting everything from WCS and took advantage of the first time 10% off. Got a 34c coming too and cheaper than Amazon.  Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#6]
WCS makes some nice brushes and some great deals with their free shipping.

I have a Semogue owners club boar brush and really like it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm late to the party, but if you look for another brush - check out whipped dog.  I have two of his 30mm brushes that I purchased back in early 2016 that I absolutely love.  I can count on one hand the number of hairs they've shed in 3 years of use.   One is a badger, the other synthetic - both drilled an extra 5mm deep to firm them up a little bit.  To get the stench out of a good badger brush, wash in Dawn dish washing liquid several times, then lather it up with your favorite shave soap and let it sit for a few hours (not upside down, you never want to intentionally push water up into the knot).

I you use a straight razor, I also recommend trying out his inexpensive balsa strop solution.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
So I ordered from WCS on Saturday and got a confirmation email right away. Except for some emails about shaving tips, nothing else about my order till today. They said I need to respond to the email to verify that I placed an order and confirm if address is correct. Respond within 48hrs or they will cancel my order. Is this SOP for these guys? Kinda weird and seems to be dragging out a bit to fill an order.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I placed an order and got an order confirmation right away then got a shipping confirmation a couple of days later. I never had to verify that I placed an order or had to reconfirm my shipping address (I not sure if it makes a difference but I had created an account with them before I placed an order).

The only thing that comes to mind is that they might be checking for fraud if your shipping address and name doesn't match exactly to the ones on your payment source? Although I have never checked out as a guest at West Coast Shaving I have never had a such a problem as you describe checking out as a guest at other places (such as Maggard Razors or Connaught Shaving) and using PayPal to pay.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been ordering from WCS for a few years now.  I just placed an order on Sunday and it arrives tomorrow.  I have never had an email sent to me to verify my address.  Maybe they are verifying your shipping address with your card address.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm thinking of emailing them back to find out what the hell the problem is. Ordered Saturday and still no tracking even though she said she approved it to ship. Should have just gotten the stuff from Amazon.  Would have had it by now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
So I sent an email last night asking what's the issue. Got a tracking number that said label printed around lunchtime and being shipped from MD. They just got back to me and the only thing they said was that it was shipped yesterday and it will arrive in 4-8 days. Now tracking is updated that package was picked  up in Delaware. WTF? I don't think I'm dealing with these people again. Won't  be here till next Wed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I was put off by WCS. Had to wait almost two weeks for delivery due to them using smart post for their free shipping. I know, I fell for the "new customer discount and free shipping". Had I known it was smart post, I would have paid for Priority Mail.

As for the brush, a bit late too but today I tried the Maggard 26mm Granite synthetic and it was awesome. Coming from a tiny badger brush, this one had no problems. Soft and with backbone. No problems lathering on a smooth bowl.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally got my kit today. The short handle of the 34c only took a few strokes to get used to, but I really like it. The brush is really nice. Washed out and soaked on Dawn for a few minutes and then lathered it up and left it hang for an hour. Rinsed her back out and then jumped right back into the lather for a shave. Man did that brush make a nice lather! I was using Arko. Really happy, but sadly I did not like the buying experience  with WCS and will likely not buy from again. Thanks for the guidance everyone.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, you got the stank out of it that easy?

It usually takes me a gooooooood while to get the stank out of a new brush.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#17]
It really wasn't that bad out of the box. Only conditioned it for a few hours.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Fix the old brush with a new Badger Knot.

You take out the old knot and glue in the new knot.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Omega (Italy) boar brushes have worked out well for me. I like the "chunky chub". Shoebox Shave Shop.

Tip: All brushes "leak" individual bristles. Cold water shaving will help reduce this.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Omega (Italy) boar brushes have worked out well for me. I like the "chunky chub". Shoebox Shave Shop.

Tip: All brushes "leak" individual bristles. Cold water shaving will help reduce this.
View Quote
Semogue boar isn't too bad either.

Remember, with boars a good soaking for a few minutes beforehand is a must.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#21]
This is gong to sound a bit odd, but make your own.  Go online (i used The Golden Nib) and purchase the type of knot you want, ream out your old handle and use a two part epoxy to glue in the new knot (lots of how to's on line).  For around $30 to $50 you can end up with what amounts to a $300 top quality silver badger brush.

I will never pay full price for a good quality brush again.

MLG
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Take a look at Yaqi brand brushes. I've got several synthetics and one Badger brush made by Yaqi. I've ordered 3 times from the Yaqi store on AliExpress. I've yet to be disappointed. Great brushes and great value. M6 favorite right now is the Purple Haze synthetic. Pretty fast shipping from China also.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Love my Stirling Synthetic 26mm 'Kong' Brush Can be had for $21 !!
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Im noob to this, but this is what i have and is awesome!

Brush.
Perfecto 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush-Black Handle- Engineered for The Best Shave of Your Life. for, Safety Razor, Double Edge Razor, Straight Razor or Shaving Razor, Its The Best Badger Brush. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VF1NI5M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0mU3Eb0KJM1X9

Stand.
Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand - The Best Safety Razor Stand. This Will Prolong The Life of Your Shaving Brush. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO46CTA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0nU3EbTVMRWG5

Cream.
Proraso Shaving Soap In A Bowl - Refresh, 5.2 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837YY18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EoU3EbGY5ZPSM

Blades.

Astra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades ,100 Count (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ppU3EbN1ES07J

My razor came from manscaped, was gift thing, i like ot its heavy as fuck, easy to cleay and has a nice cut angle.

I warm  the razor in hot water, soak the brush in normal tap water temp, float the cream in the same water as the razor.
Its heaven!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top