Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 8:05:39 AM EDT
'Looking for an app that tracks my daily nutrient intake.
Specifically: Calories, protein, fat, carbs, fiber, micronutrients, etc..
I'm on a highly restrictive diet to correct "pre" heart disease and I want to make sure I'm getting enough of what I need.

I just downloaded Cronometer last night and it looks pretty good. Anything better out there?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
My Fitness Pal
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Unsure if its on apple and dont know how the micronutrients are as i only really paid attention to the macronutrients, but i like fatsecret.

Its free, but there are no ads, the paid part just gives access to some random stuff, but most of the normal stuff is free. I really like their reports, easy to read with multiple views, good userface, did i mention no ads?!

It also connects to fitness trackers in the free version, which is nice. Has a "facebook style" feed page to connect with other people about losing weight and blah blah. So i like it (well as much as anyone can like a tracking program...) and i tried quite a bit, including cronometer. Also ANYTHING else is better than myfitnesspal, that app sucks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to use myfitnesspal, but the app has gone to garbage after Under Armor bought them out. All kinds of annoying bugs.

Cronometer is what I use now, with 0 issues.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Cronometer is excellent.
I did not try the others mentioned but just the first few days with it has been a positive experience.

As mentioned in my opening post. I'm on what might be considered a pretty extreme diet, in an attempt to reverse a bit of atherosclerosis picked up on a calcium heart scan I had in July of this year.
I've been doing a 100% whole food/plant based diet (although my compliance factor is maybe @ 95%) and OMAD.

After learning a few things about possible micronutrient deficiencies on this type of diet, I wanted to make sure I wasn't lacking anything.
This app did the trick.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are some dissected screen shots from Cronometer, re-assembled below.
This represents one day of intake, consumed in one meal after a 20 hour fast.
This is all I will eat today.

I like how everything is laid out in the app.
The copy and paste feature is nice, too. If you are someone who eats similar things day to day like me,
you can copy and paste any previous day to the current day and then edit as needed.

I'm not sure where their protein intake target comes from. I'm not an athlete and I'm not in the business of building muscle right now.
Minimum of 55 grams of protein should be fine for me? (according to Dr. Google and a bit of research I did)
ETA: 47 year old male, not sedentary

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Man...4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar?! Can you taste anything besides that?!

Cronometer isnt bad and those micronutrients are useful since thats what you need. I just dont like the multiple screen layout, ads and those thin "meter" bars are hard to see at times.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man...4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar?! Can you taste anything besides that?!

Cronometer isnt bad and those micronutrients are useful since thats what you need. I just dont like the multiple screen layout, ads and those thin "meter" bars are hard to see at times.
View Quote
It's an "acquired taste".
I add it to a very large salad and it's just enough to coat everything. It's mixed with a bit of ranch powder to make kind of a spiced slurry. I can't eat a dry salad
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have never tried a calorie counting app before, but decided to give FatSecret a try and it is really nice. It is easy to use, you can get very specific about what you eat (it had tuna creations with red curry and coconut already in there), and the info it gives you is easy to read.

I’m not the OP, but thank you for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never tried a calorie counting app before, but decided to give FatSecret a try and it is really nice. It is easy to use, you can get very specific about what you eat (it had tuna creations with red curry and coconut already in there), and the info it gives you is easy to read.

I’m not the OP, but thank you for the suggestion!
View Quote

No problem!

I hate counting calories (even though it is extremely useful and helpful) so when i do, i do it there. There is another that is really close as well, but i think the reports on fatsecret make it more useful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top