Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2020 5:09:28 PM EDT
The hero I looked up to all my life passed away on July 19, 2020! SGT Thomas Gibb USMC 1970 Marine CAP unit.

My uncle was my hero! It's why I became a Marine machine gunner like him! In 2003 he gifted to me the Ka-bar that he used in Nam! The story is this.

July 19, 1970, Nam his unit was out on patrol not sure were Cambodian or lost borders and they made contact. His unit was all KIA but one medic! He had an M-79 blow up in his hand taking his left arm and the barrel logged in his head!

We were thought dead and placed in a body bag with the rest of his brothers! In the flight back he pulled his Ka-bar out and cut the body bag that he was in and said "I'm not dead yet MF!"

That Ka-bar stayed in his hand they had to break his fingers to get it out before they did surgery to him!

He liked to tell stories! Yet after my first tour in Iraq, I was given the Ka-bar that he had in Nam! He wanted me to take it on my next tour to protect me as it did for him! I could not take it fear of losing history!

My uncle passed away 50 years to the day when he should have died in Nam!

So now I have his Ka-bar it's a part of history! I'm looking to restore and protect it! The sheath needs to be restitched! I have talked to people about keeping the leather washers on the handle conditioned and in shape!

I want this Ka-bar to be displayed in my home! So others can look at it and know a great man and Marine! An American hero!

I'm looking for a case that I can display this knife in! I have looked it up but $100+ for a simple glass case seems like a lot and if that's so the I think I just much rather make one show my respect!

I really don't have the time to make one but if I can find a good wall hanging case that would be great!

Makes me think will my kids or Grandkids be doing the same thing with the 21st-century Ka-bar that was given to me by my wife before I went to Iraq?

I still abuse that life to this day! Sorry for the long story just getting MY feeling out! It's hard since I can't even get to see him get buried! I can't share the last shot of whiskey with him!
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ustacticalusa.com/products/

Contact Jeff
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
First of all, thank you for your service and I am sorry for the loss of your uncle.      

There are a number of sources for picture boxes that would do the job.   Personally, I would look for something larger and possibly include pictures/patches/medals etc from both era's of service.   Keep in mind that there is potential for this display to survive you as well.  The more that it tells about the whole story then the more valuable this will be to the family.   I would also consider writing up something and stashing it inside the box as well, possibly on the back where it can only be seen when the box is removed from the wall.   That way the story details aren't loss as the years go by.   We have a number of family heirlooms whose value have diminished because details of the story behind them was lost over the generations and I am old enough that I regret their loss.      

I would also discourage restoring the blade or the sheath but I would preserve them.   It is honest wear and a testament to its service and both of yours as well.  

But those are things that I would do and it may not apply to your situation at all.  

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First of all, thank you for your service and I am sorry for the loss of your uncle.      

There are a number of sources for picture boxes that would do the job.   Personally, I would look for something larger and possibly include pictures/patches/medals etc from both era's of service.   Keep in mind that there is potential for this display to survive you as well.  The more that it tells about the whole story then the more valuable this will be to the family.   I would also consider writing up something and stashing it inside the box as well, possibly on the back where it can only be seen when the box is removed from the wall.   That way the story details aren't loss as the years go by.   We have a number of family heirlooms whose value have diminished because details of the story behind them was lost over the generations and I am old enough that I regret their loss.      

I would also discourage restoring the blade or the sheath but I would preserve them.   It is honest wear and a testament to its service and both of yours as well.  

But those are things that I would do and it may not apply to your situation at all.  

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

2Hut8
View Quote

That is a good idea as I feel that my Ka-bar that my wife gave me as a gift might also make it to that box one day!
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top