Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2018 3:39:21 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a under $12,000 4-door 4wd Jeep Wrangler.

Looking at 2007-2010 range.

Models to stay away from, go after, raise budget? Known issues to look for?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can step up a year, the 2011's have the updated interior....
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.
Why 4 door?  This is just a toy right?  If 12k is your limit, do yourself a favor and find a 2 door with the 4L.  You'll be in your price range and get a better engine than the 3.8 in your price range.
You can for 4 people in a 2 door. Just no room for luggage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
4 door - get a Hummer H2 2005-2007

2 door - get a TJ, JK is crap compared to a TJ especially those gay 4 door versions.  Unless Op you are a Basic Bitch, if so then you HAVE to get a white 4 door JK and pay FULL MSRP for it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2 door - get a TJ, JK is crap compared to a TJ especially those gay 4 door versions.  Unless Op you are a Basic Bitch, if so then you HAVE to get a white 4 door JK and pay FULL MSRP for it.
View Quote
Didn't the 4dr come out right at the end of the TJ's reign?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
You need more money
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 4 doors are awesome. Your get storage space for stuff. I just did a 3,000 mile trip with just me and my girlfriend and a 2 door wouldn't have worked.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The 4 doors are awesome. Your get storage space for stuff. I just did a 3,000 mile trip with just me and my girlfriend and a 2 door wouldn't have worked.
View Quote
I've done twice that in a 2 door. How much stuff did you carry?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't listen to most of these posts.

The JKU does fine as long as it's around a 2011.-2018 model.

Hell the 07-11 does fine, my 3.8 besides some cracked manifolds has been kicking for a long while.

These vehicles keep their value like no other SUV.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You need more money
View Quote
around here 12k is a tj 2 door. not even a rubi
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've done twice that in a 2 door. How much stuff did you carry?
View Quote
I had my rolling suitcase, her suitcase, 2 backpacks, my crate of recovery gear, a cooler, a high lift, my tool bag, some blankets and a pillow.  I had the back stuffed and the back seat holding some stuff too. After buying more crap on our trip we couldn't get a 3rd person in there even if they didn't have legs or arms.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at a Jeep LJ. You should be able to find one at your price point. I looked on Cragislist and found multiple for sale in my area. It's not a 4 door, but it is an extended wheelbase which would give you the extra room in the back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You need more money
View Quote
Concur.

12K is TJ money. A JKU for that price certainly has the god-awful 3.8 and probably has issues or has been in collisions.

As long as it's not rust, I'd take issues, but... more money is the answer here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Literally dozens of arfcom threads available.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ar15.com+jeep+jku&oq=ar15.com+jeep+jku&aqs=chrome..69i57.14215j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

_
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
4 door wranglers sucks
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stay away from anything 07-11. Youre welcome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't listen to most of these posts.

The JKU does fine as long as it's around a 2011.-2018 model.

Hell the 07-11 does fine, my 3.8 besides some cracked manifolds has been kicking for a long while.

These vehicles keep their value like no other SUV.
View Quote
Jku 12-18 does fine. The 07-11 doesnt hold any value with that mini van motor that leaks like a sive. Everyone that knows jeeps knows to stay away.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
As said before. Stay FAR away from the 3.8 mini van motor in the 07-11. 4 door jeeps got better in 2012. They switched motors and it made more power. My 04 2dr TJ cost me $11k after taxes and tags. A 2012 and newer keep will run you $22k on the low side with super high miles and an automatic transmission. You should buy a manual if you want real reliability. You probably going to end up around $26-$28K for a 2012. There is 2014 5speed manual 4 door locally to me and it’s $28,500. It has 45,000 miles on it. It looks nice and has everything I want but by time I buy it, pay taxes and tags.....I’ll be darn near $32k. I’m just not spending that much. I’ll wait until my son is driving age in 3-4 years and then I’ll get a 2012 newer and give him my TJ.

The 07-11 leak oil too much. It’s just those damn shitty motors. Now if you got one with a blown motor and swap a hemi into it, then now that would be awesome! However your going to spend another $10k up to $30k just for the hemi swap.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had my rolling suitcase, her suitcase, 2 backpacks, my crate of recovery gear, a cooler, a high lift, my tool bag, some blankets and a pillow.  I had the back stuffed and the back seat holding some stuff too. After buying more crap on our trip we couldn't get a 3rd person in there even if they didn't have legs or arms.
View Quote
Not dogging you at all but you are the person who should not have bought a Jeep but..... because Chrsyler MADE the Jeep fit YOUR lifestyle you bought one.  Vs. you making your lifestyle fit the Jeep.  That's my bitch about the 4 door thing.

Sorta like making a Corvette a 4 door, you'd have people on here be pro 4 door Corvette talking about how much better it is vs a 2 door.  Meanwhile those of us who understand what the vehicle originally stood for would be pulling our hair out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I want a 4-door because I have 3 kids I want to take on the logging roads, stripjobs, and 4x4 trails we have here.

It’s not going on vacations, it’s not carrying anything but sports gear and people.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Meanwhile those of us who understand what the vehicle originally stood for would be pulling our hair out.
View Quote
Freedom?

The "Jeep" has deviated far from the original no matter how many doors it has.  In fact the fact that it even has doors is a deviation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As said before. Stay FAR away from the 3.8 mini van motor in the 07-11. 4 door jeeps got better in 2012. They switched motors and it made more power. My 04 2dr TJ cost me $11k after taxes and tags. A 2012 and newer keep will run you $22k on the low side with super high miles and an automatic transmission. You should buy a manual if you want real reliability. You probably going to end up around $26-$28K for a 2012. There is 2014 5speed manual 4 door locally to me and it’s $28,500. It has 45,000 miles on it. It looks nice and has everything I want but by time I buy it, pay taxes and tags.....I’ll be darn near $32k. I’m just not spending that much. I’ll wait until my son is driving age in 3-4 years and then I’ll get a 2012 newer and give him my TJ.

The 07-11 leak oil too much. It’s just those damn shitty motors. Now if you got one with a blown motor and swap a hemi into it, then now that would be awesome! However your going to spend another $10k up to $30k just for the hemi swap.
View Quote
What leaks?

Valve seals? Rings? Blow by on cylinder walls? Main/Rear Seals? Pan? Burn off?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]
OP,

I have an 07 Wrangler 2door (JK). V6, 6speed, 3" lift, 35" tires.

While the first years of the JK can be more affordable than the newer ones the 3.8L V6 is literally putting 100hp or less to the ground.  If you live in a flat area or don't spend time on the highway it's not bad.  However if you do drive on the highway or live in a hilly area it is terrible.  I never get out of 4th gear on the highway and highway inclines I'm in 3rd gear at 3k rpms just trying to maintain a speed and not the speed limit.

While I live on a Hawaii Island this really doesn't bother me a lot because I'm not on the highway for long.  I don't think I would make any trips longer than 30mins on a highway back in the states with it.

The 3.6 pentastar engine in the new jeeps is a much better engine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Freedom?

The "Jeep" has deviated far from the original no matter how many doors it has.  In fact the fact that it even has doors is a deviation.
View Quote
All I'm saying is think how you would feel about a 4 door Corvette, or a Mustang XUV.  it's the same thing.  There's a formula that should be followed for certain products, and 4 door on a wrangler isn't it.  The Cherokee was the 4 door Jeep and did a hell of job until chrysler screwed that one up too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

All I'm saying is think how you would feel about a 4 door Corvette, or a Mustang XUV.  it's the same thing.  There's a formula that should be followed for certain products, and 4 door on a wrangler isn't it.  The Cherokee was the 4 door Jeep and did a hell of job until chrysler screwed that one up too.
View Quote
Historically Jeeps can be whatever you want them to be.  They even had amphibious ones during the war. There were so many variations it was ridiculous, maybe that is why the 4dr thing doesn't bother me much.

And yes, the new all electric "Mach 1" is an irritation of mine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not dogging you at all but you are the person who should not have bought a Jeep but..... because Chrsyler MADE the Jeep fit YOUR lifestyle you bought one.  Vs. you making your lifestyle fit the Jeep.  That's my bitch about the 4 door thing.

Sorta like making a Corvette a 4 door, you'd have people on here be pro 4 door Corvette talking about how much better it is vs a 2 door.  Meanwhile those of us who understand what the vehicle originally stood for would be pulling our hair out.
View Quote
Hate to burst your bubble but Ahem
You should really stop getting so pissy over what other people do with the things they pay money for.  If you think people want an original Jeep experience, explain why the Mahindra copy isn't selling very well?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trucks in general, never used to have 4 doors either (or crew cabs etc) , do you consider 4 door trucks to not be real trucks?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Trucks in general, never used to have 4 doors either (or crew cabs etc) , do you consider 4 door trucks to not be real trucks?
View Quote
He's basically saying, stop liking what I don't like.
A 4 door Wrangler is just as capable off road as a 2 door.  It has the advantage of being able to move more stuff.
He brought up 4 door Corvettes as an example of things that are blasphemous but didn't mention the 2 wheel drive 2 door Wrangler.  I wonder why? ;-)
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A 4 door Wrangler is just as capable off road as a 2 door.  It has the advantage of being able to move more stuff.
He brought up 4 door Corvettes as an example of things that are blasphemous but didn't mention the 2 wheel drive 2 door Wrangler.  I wonder why? ;-)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shake my head every time i see a 2 wheel drive wrangler. Whether it be two door or four door. I had a four door two wheel drive with pan heater come into the shop the other day. I just shoke my head. Came from cold enough mountains with bad weather to warrant a pan heater but not four wheel drive
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those 2WD drive ones are just for the Basic Bitches to buy/drive.  once basic Bitch trend chooses the new "red Jetta" for all of them to drive instead of the current white or silver 4 door wrangler, you'll see those 2WD drive ones go by the way side.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You need more money
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my 07 Rubi.

Sure the 3.8 blows, especially on 37 beadlocks, but 5:13 gears help, manual trans.

The 3.8 is pretty easy to work on and cheap. When it inevitably dies completely I'm going to swap a 4BT into it...

For how cheap 07-11's are vs 12-17s... you can put the savings into a 4BT swap fund and almost have enough if you can DIY.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a `08 2-door and the 3,8L is just fine as long as you don`t expect it to do sportscar things.
The 0-60 is something like 10 seconds. That is plenty for a Jeep and even okay for regular cars.

For comparison the highly hyped Toyota Hilux trucks take 12,7 sec 0-60 with their anemic 2,4L diesels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I love my 07 Rubi.

Sure the 3.8 blows, especially on 37 beadlocks, but 5:13 gears help, manual trans.

The 3.8 is pretty easy to work on and cheap. When it inevitably dies completely I'm going to swap a 4BT into it...

For how cheap 07-11's are vs 12-17s... you can put the savings into a 4BT swap fund and almost have enough if you can DIY.
View Quote
I agree. I have a similar setup, 37 beadlocks and 5.13's

I have an 08 JKU Sahara with the 3.8, I've owned it for a few years now and haven't had any mechanical issues.

I think the axles are a larger issue than the engine, especially if you intend to put larger tires and wheel it.. d30 has weak ring/pinion, axle tubes, C's the r44 in the Rubicon has a stronger ring/pinion but the same weak axle tubes, C's.

I built a Teraflex r44 housing with ARB locker, 5.13 gears and 35 spline rcv's for the front and got a smoking deal on a Teraflex CRD60 for the rear.

Factory brakes are also inadequate for larger tires and the added weight of real bumpers, etc. I swapped mine out for a rt twin piston big brake kit up front, teraflex big brake kit in the rear and upgraded brake master cylinder.. night and day difference.

My 3.8 only has 65k on it, whenever it goes I'll swap it out for a v8 or diesel..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top