Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2021 4:15:00 AM EDT
Suggestions on two new EDC carry knives one of them being a single blade knife and the other one being a useful Swiss army pocket knife for daily use. Budget of $100 each.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Kershaw Leek - Less than $90 and Made in The USA
Victorinox Fieldmaster - Less than $40
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve carried many single blades over the years, but I’ve had my Camper model in my pocket almost every day since 1977. I feel naked without it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are some nice knives!

I see Swiss Army has a selection of Hunting knives now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
What, no Spyderco knives praised yet? BTW I don't own one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a Victorinox Cybertool S and a  Maxace Goliath 2 every day.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
You can get an accessory pocket clip for the Swiss Army knife that works very well. I received it as a gift so I don't know who makes it. Google it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#7]
With the evolution of multitools/knives/steel choices I'm impressed swiss army style knives are still even a thing.
Not being offensive, don't call the coc police, I just feel like every tool on a Swiss army style knife is useful in concept but mostly dogshit in function when compared to what's available from Leatherman, Gerber, sog, etc.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the evolution of multitools/knives/steel choices I'm impressed swiss army style knives are still even a thing.
Not being offensive, don't call the coc police, I just feel like every tool on a Swiss army style knife is useful in concept but mostly dogshit in function when compared to what's available from Leatherman, Gerber, sog, etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#9]
For the Swiss Army knife I carry the Mechanic.  Single blade is a Benchmade Mini Presidio.  Don’t hate me GD.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What, no Spyderco knives praised yet? BTW I don't own one.
View Quote

Note the budget limitations.

Go take a look at options here:  BladeHQ, Folders under $100

For that price range, Spyderco Tenacious, Cold Steel Code-4, several CRKT and Kershaw choices.  One very good folder under the radar is a bit heavy for a steel framelock, but fit and finish is quite honestly as good as my Sebenza, but at only $30, The Ruike P801:

I think the biggest SAK  I would want for the non-outdoors EDC pocket would be the Huntsman; excellent scissors!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything in a Victorinox tool is better designed and built than any of the domestic multi-tools by leaps and bounds.

Fucking pliers joined at the waist with your other tools sucks copious amounts of ass and completely negates one tool in favor of another, you simply cannot use them in conjunction with each other . While I will allow that one tool is better than no tool, two tools is better than one.

4WR or 5WR Vise Grip is a superior pair of pliers (that lock) than any of the pliers on any of the multi-tools, made by anyone and they are less expensive by a factor of 10. If I need to hold something and turn a fastener while holding it I cannot do that with a "multi-tool" but I can with a 4WR and a Cybertool. And I can do it in a form factor that is lighter and easier to carry.

I own probably 6 or 7 multi-tools, all of which seemed like a great solution, that turned out to be big clunky tools that I quit carrying because they are big and clunky, but most of all because the tools are all siamesed. Brand new Gerber 600 sitting right next to me right now, simply because at under $40 brand new, shipped it was too cheap to turn down, but I'll never carry it on my body even one day.    
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Note the budget limitations.

Go take a look at options here:  BladeHQ, Folders under $100

For that price range, Spyderco Tenacious, Cold Steel Code-4, several CRKT and Kershaw choices.  One very good folder under the radar is a bit heavy for a steel framelock, but fit and finish is quite honestly as good as my Sebenza, but at only $30, The Ruike P801:

https://www.bladehq.com/webp/imgs/knives/manual-knives/RUIKE-P801-FL-SS-SW-RKEP801SF-BHQ-60856-jr.webp

I think the biggest SAK  I would want for the non-outdoors EDC pocket would be the Huntsman; excellent scissors!

ROCK6
View Quote
Thank you very much for the link to Blade headquarters!
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

but fit and finish is quite honestly as good as my Sebenza
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#14]
go here, kershaw guy  you can get a Blem Leek for $40.00 Mine has been great for 5 years. can't tell what the blem was, now it's got wear so it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I daily carry a victorinox electrician. Sort of an uncommon knife in the victorinox listings, but they are still made in smaller batches. The knife is great for every day small tasks. It’s slim and does what I need. I have a number of multitools from leatherman and Gerber. I can’t remember when I used one last. The thing with multitools is that they suck at most of the things they do unless your in a pinch. Generally I am not far from a real tool box where I can use a proper tool.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Go Here: https://kershawguy.com/

My suggestion is a Blur.  Specifically this one:

Blur S30V 1670S30V NIB  $84.  Fast opening, easy to carry, and will do jobs lighter knives will not. In my experience, it is more robust than the Leek.

My other suggestion is a ZT 0350TS; but, it's above your limit. $164

I own both. Both are made in the USA. (Not all Kershaw knives are, check before you buy.)

Not for me, but Dave also has a page of imported knives (China) if you are unconcerned about the country of origin; prices are lower. https://kershawguy.com/products-page/low-priced-imported-items/
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the Huntsman for an SAK.

Hard to Argue the Kershaw Leek or one of my other favorites, the Spyderco Tenacious

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd rather carry a Tinker than a Leatherman or Gerber everyday, mostly because I use a screwdriver at least once a day for something.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Definitely check out the Kershaw Cryo 2.
For the sak my all time favorite is the super tinker. I've had many a different sak/leatherman, but that is the one that stays in my pocket the most. Both can be had for under your budget.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd rather carry a Tinker than a Leatherman or Gerber everyday, mostly because I use a screwdriver at least once a day for something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Leatherman is an impressively functional tool especially for its compact size, but I just don't need pliers that often.  Once I got a Gerber Shortcut, the Leatherman went into a drawer and stayed there.   It'll do for most screwdriver needs and I use scissors a lot more than pliers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Deluxe Tinker all the way.  It has served me well on patrol for years.  It has handled almost every task I have encountered.

I also carry a Cold Steel Code 4 Tanto blade non serrated.  I bought it before the company was sold, so I can't comment on the quality now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Victorinox Compact has been my EDC for a very long time. I have spares, just in case. Perfect size and tool set for my needs. I don't need two main blades (I use the scissors as much as the blade) and the multi-function bottle/can opener works well. It's also very light in the pocket, yet still a decent size for performing tasks.

Victorinox Compact

For a single blade, spend the ~$60 you will have left over from your Compact budget and add it to your main blade budget. Get a Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

All of your life's problems are now solved. I doubt there is a better combination out there for $200.00.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You can get an accessory pocket clip for the Swiss Army knife that works very well. I received it as a gift so I don't know who makes it. Google it.
View Quote

It's called a SwissQlip and you can find them at Amazon. They don't fit all the models so make sure you check their compatibility list.

I have a Victorinox Fieldmaster fitted with a SwissQlip in my pocket at the moment. I've been using it for a couple months and like it a lot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’ve carried many single blades over the years, but I’ve had my Camper model in my pocket almost every day since 1977. I feel naked without it.
View Quote

the Camper has a decent selection of blades for the price. I used to carry one before TX made autos legal.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry a Trekker by Victorinox.  Both main blades and the screwdriver all have lined locks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I like my Swiss army tourist, it's a little smaller than average. There's a small tinker if you want an extra Phillips instead of a cork screw.

I may get the climber so I can have scissors
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Kershaw Leek - Less than $90 and Made in The USA
Victorinox Fieldmaster - Less than $40
View Quote

Leek for $90? You got had man.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VC9Y0?tag=arfcom00-20

ETA no idea why hotlinking isnt working
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Victorinox Compact has been my EDC for a very long time. I have spares, just in case. Perfect size and tool set for my needs. I don't need two main blades (I use the scissors as much as the blade) and the multi-function bottle/can opener works well. It's also very light in the pocket, yet still a decent size for performing tasks.

Victorinox Compact

For a single blade, spend the ~$60 you will have left over from your Compact budget and add it to your main blade budget. Get a Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

All of your life's problems are now solved. I doubt there is a better combination out there for $200.00.
View Quote

This.  The compact is a perfect model.  Last time I traveled internationally, that's what I took.  I also have spares.  Don't forget the ballpoint pen, pin or needle pocket, and tiny screwdriver (now there are mini ferro rods to replace the mini screwdriver, if you need that.)
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I always have at least one Alox Victorinox on me. Alox Bantam in my wallet and a Pioneer in a Hank's sheath. I don't carry or use a Cadet much anymore though this red Cadet stays next to my chair. I have a problem with SAKs slipping out of my pockets hence the wallet and sheath carry.
I've got a bunch of locking knives I just don't use anymore- Spyderco, Cold Steel, various cheap things,... I really should sell them.

Edit-forgot picture
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny you say that, but after 35 years with the same Victorinox Ranger (op, it's what I recommend) in my pocket I think the opposite. Deployments, car repairs, field craft, 4 continents. I finally needed to retire and replace it last year, after trying various multi tools with varying success.

Not that I think multitools aren't useful, but for me they're not edc items, one rides in a pistol mag pouch on most of my backpacks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I also carry a Victorinox Fieldmaster which handles all my needs.   I also carry a locking folder of several brands which varies weekly for cutting meat when eating out. Any folders of the major companies will suffice. I look for blades made of higher grade steels like 440C, D-2, 14C28N, 12C27, 8CR14, AUS8A, among others as those steels will take an awesome edge and keep it a long time! A $200 budget will be more than needed to get you a nice pair of EDC knives!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#33]
In Swiss Army Knifes, you want the Explorer.  One of the few models that have the Phillips screwdriver at the end vice the middle.
It has virtually everything you need.  Blades, Can opener, bottle opener, wine opener, scissors, big and small straight slots, wires tripper, mag glass.
I can take apart a Navy P-3 Orion aircraft with one of those.  All my avionics techs carried them (illegally).

TYCOM
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I’ve carried a Swiss army Recruit for the better part of the last 10 years.  It’s small and handy.  I’ve thought about upgrading it so this has my interest.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I haven’t been too impressed with the current quality of Victorinox or Wenger….
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top