Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2020 11:13:04 AM EDT
I'm starting to play and have stumbled head first back into Logic and I'm hearing a need for a real live plucked bass instrument to record straight into my mix.

SR series looks to be a decent low-mid tier bass with some nice features - looking at you, Bartolini pickups and active three band eq.

It seems like for recording, it would cover most if not all of the bases (no pun intended) for tonal range needed to make bedroom rock and slower tempo instrumental guitar jams.

This would never leave the "studio" and would be used for recording only.

I'd appreciate any feedback from guys who have them or guys who don't and are using a different bass for home recording that they really enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm starting to play and have stumbled head first back into Logic and I'm hearing a need for a real live plucked bass instrument to record straight into my mix.

SR series looks to be a decent low-mid tier bass with some nice features - looking at you, Bartolini pickups and active three band eq.

It seems like for recording, it would cover most if not all of the bases (no pun intended) for tonal range needed to make bedroom rock and slower tempo instrumental guitar jams.

This would never leave the "studio" and would be used for recording only.

I'd appreciate any feedback from guys who have them or guys who don't and are using a different bass for home recording that they really enjoy.
View Quote

I have never played that bass but Ibanez makes decent products. I am sure it is OK. If you ask studio musicians which bass for recording - 90% will tell you P-bass.

Is this for a final product or just demos and ideas? Are you a bass player or a multi instrumentalist looking to get into bass playing?  

Using active pickups through interface will be OK, but if the only reason you are buying an active bass is to allow you to record direct, you might be disappointed im the sound.  If you go that route, using amp emulating software or even blending DI and through an amp will sound better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should have included more info.

I doubt I will ever produce anything professional, but who knows. I will probably always record direct for everything I do. Right now, I’m just cleaning out ideas and bouncing tracks for my personal enjoyment.

If I ever get really serious, I’ll probably throw money at some UA gear.

I don’t know how useful the active EQ will be in recording. It seems like a nice feature. I owned a Lakland many years back that also had an active eq, and it yielded a variety of tones so it left me with a favorable impression.

I like the 5 string for access to the lower registers since I won’t be playing any fancy stuff like jazz chord shapes that might require a high C which is why I wasn’t really looking at any 6 string options.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I don't think you can go wrong with the Ibanez as you describe things. I have not used any of these, but something to look into.

https://thehomerecordings.com/free-bass-amp-vst/
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
That was the last bass i owned.  While it was pretty solid, for the money I'd recommend the Sire M2 over the SR500. My son just got one and it just exceeds the SR500 in about every way. The electronics are outstanding. Rolled fret board edges/frets, etc.

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got an SR500, it's a solid bass and ideal for recording. Quiet, versatile electronics, and very easy to play so fatigue isn't an issue.

I use it a lot, and vary between it and a Talman bass (which, in spite of its insanely cheap price is superb on classic or vintage type sounds/recordings).

Can't beat Ibanez for the $$.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looking at the 655E with stained walnut finish now. Nice pickups. Biggest criticism I've read online is sharp fret edges which can be remedied with a little fret dressing.

Seems like it has some good pickups.

The question I have now is whether a 35" scale would be better for the low B over the standard 34" scale that is offered on what seems like all of Ibanez's models.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looking at the 655E with stained walnut finish now. Nice pickups. Biggest criticism I've read online is sharp fret edges which can be remedied with a little fret dressing.

Seems like it has some good pickups.

The question I have now is whether a 35" scale would be better for the low B over the standard 34" scale that is offered on what seems like all of Ibanez's models.
View Quote

No better or worse with those scales, it's really a feel issue more than anything else, sound difference is negligible and comes down to strings/PU too. I prefer the 34" having played them both, but I like a longer scale in guitars, so who knows.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
What year for the SR500?   Ibanez recycles their model names over the years.  So a 1990's SR500 is quite different from a current one.

I've recorded with a 90's version of the SR500 with the PJ pickup configuration.  I thought it was good and sounded good.  Played a SR500 from the current configuration and thought it was okay.

If you are looking for a bass to record and you don't have one, it's probably best to stick with one that is a precision type pickup configuration.  I mostly record on a Keisel Vanquish 5 now, and sometimes on a Music Man, and few times on a 1980 Precision.  I would not consider using an SR500 over those three.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
So, yesterday I randomly looked at Guitar Center’s website and saw that the Round Rock location had a used SR655 for $459. I had a $200 gift card that I had been sitting on since May. I went by and made sure everything worked, and I walked out with it and a pack of strings for about $325. I’m pretty happy with my out of pocket cost for this.

I’m taking my iMac in today to get looked at. It randomly stopped booting up and is giving me an error message. I’m hoping it is something small (Apple repair shop is right around the corner), and they can get it back up and running. I’m anxious to begin recording again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, yesterday I randomly looked at Guitar Center's website and saw that the Round Rock location had a used SR655 for $459. I had a $200 gift card that I had been sitting on since May. I went by and made sure everything worked, and I walked out with it and a pack of strings for about $325. I'm pretty happy with my out of pocket cost for this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/87517/16214287-5C98-4BEC-8B10-786F776FBAFA-1709297.jpg

I'm taking my iMac in today to get looked at. It randomly stopped booting up and is giving me an error message. I'm hoping it is something small (Apple repair shop is right around the corner), and they can get it back up and running. I'm anxious to begin recording again.
View Quote

Small world, I was just in that location looking at basses this weekend, don't remember seeing that one but I might have missed it. I picked up a couple pedals I ordered. Enjoy it, looks like a good choice. Didn't realize you were in my area!

I love Black Friday for all the recording deals...got the free CLA Echosphere plugin waves was giving away, nabbed a slew of drum kits from Toontrack, and nabbed a few mics on deep discount. That'll keep me busy for a few months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top