Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2022 7:39:30 PM EDT
I neve had it, and I see that it is a blend promarily of a cab, which I am not a fan of dry wines, that's why I like merlot, but how is this wine? fairly dry? Looking to celebrate a goal I achieved today.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had it in a long time, but I remember it being like a big bold Cab. I didn't think it was worth the price tag at the time and it wasn't even close to $400.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't had it in a long time, but I remember it being like a big bold Cab. I didn't think it was worth the price tag at the time and it wasn't even close to $400.
View Quote

was it very dry?

yeah this is a 2014, where I have read that the 2013 or the 2019 were better years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I had some several years ago and I was underwhelmed. Now Jarvis is a whole other story.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, Opus One, I haven't had it in a very long time. I was a big Robert Mondavi guy back in the 1980s and 90s. My dad had cases of the Mondavi 1977 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon in the basement around 1987/88 and I used to sneak a bottle, buy some 2-inch thick steaks and my buddies and I would be in heaven (sometimes we would even let the girlfriends in!). When Mondavi and Rothschild got together it was a big deal in the wine world.

$400 tho...
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a very fair price, retail in fact without the usual 2-3x restaurant markup.
My personal opinion of Opus is that it's a great $100 wine. That's still a helluva compliment.

What else do they have on the list? How about Bordeaux?

ETA: Store price? Nah. It would be a fair restaurant find, but nothing special about that store price or even that wine really.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Jarvis for Cabs or California red. Jarvis is the best wine I’ve ever tried and I’ve been able to try a lot.  ( Restaurant business in past life).  I’ve had many good ones at all different price points, but this is one that always stood out from the others. It’s like drinking silk.  I’m a Scotch guy these days but your thread has me thinking about picking up a bottle tomorrow if I can find it.
On the flip side sometimes when you celebrate you have to scratch the itch.  If you’ve always wanted to try it then pop the cork.  You only live once and what people like here is subjective.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
So what makes this worth $400?

Serious question
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I would take a bottle of Venge over Opus
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would take a bottle of Venge over Opus
View Quote
Or Quintessa
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jarvis for Cabs or California red. Jarvis is the best wine I’ve ever tried and I’ve been able to try a lot.  ( Restaurant business in past life).  I’ve had many good ones at all different price points, but this is one that always stood out from the others. It’s like drinking silk.  I’m a Scotch guy these days but your thread has me thinking about picking up a bottle tomorrow if I can find it.
On the flip side sometimes when you celebrate you have to scratch the itch.  If you’ve always wanted to try it then pop the cork.  You only live once and what people like here is subjective.
View Quote

I'm going to try Jarvis this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation. I was a scotch guy too for may years - Johnnie Walker Blue was a blend that beat many of the single malts I liked. So if you say Jarvis is smooth, I want to try it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a very fair price, retail in fact without the usual 2-3x restaurant markup.
My personal opinion of Opus is that it's a great $100 wine. That's still a helluva compliment.

ETA: Store price? Nah. It would be a fair restaurant find, but nothing special about that store price or even that wine really.
View Quote

I had a couple cases of Opus when it was approximately $120-ish a bottle and it was great. $400 great, no way Jose. There are a bunch of great wines in the $100-$125 range. I don’t see a $90 Caymus being 1/4 as good as a $400 Opus, they are about even.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So what makes this worth $400?

Serious question
View Quote

It's hard to say if you're not heavy into wines and their production, pedegree, and process. The fact Baron Philipe and Mondavi were involved adds to it too.

The bottle I showed just above was about 360-380, and that was with industry discount and I picked it up directly from the winemaker at Opus One.

Their facility is out of this world. It looks like a James Bond villian's lair. Their attention to detail is incredible in the vinification process, more so than any I've ever seen at a winery that size.

Are there better wines? Yes. Cheaper too.

But the same can be said for Mercedes, Louis Vuitton, etc.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had Opus when it was cheaper.   It was good but I don’t know if I would pay that.   But if you want it go for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had a couple cases of Opus when it was approximately $120-ish a bottle and it was great. $400 great, no way Jose. There are a bunch of great wines in the $100-$125 range. I don’t see a $90 Caymus being 1/4 as good as a $400 Opus, they are about even.
View Quote

Good winemaking team, good grapes, they have it going on pretty reliably in good vintages. I'm a big fan of the Bordeaux style blend too, like Opus and Dominus.
I did the cult winery mailing list thing. Wines like Araujo and Bryant and Colgin were amazing wines under $150, until they weren't. Chuck Wagners good but woody Caymus Reserve was similarly priced, and a whole lot easier to find for most.

California, especially Napa Cabernets, is richly priced vs. similar wines from overseas imho. I can always find a better, cheaper wine from there.
Not many people going to appreciate a humble brag about Leoville Las Cases on AR15 though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#16]
IWGBPSE
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife & I bought a bottle for our wedding, year ago…we were disappointed when it was compared to lesser expensive ($80-$100/bottle) cabs.

But YOLO.  If you can afford it & want to try it—buy it.

Typical vintage Caymus cab is better than Opus One, but maybe my palate is “stunted.”

ETA: yes, it’s dry. A “greener” version/less currant/cherry than Caymus or Steltzner Reserve.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a bottle of 1976 Opus One, it was a futures wine given to me as a gift in 76, I properly stored it until I drank it sometime in the 90's.
It was an excellent wine and at the time I drank it the replacement cost was $350/bottle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I was working in the Napa Valley when that was a $100.00 bottle.  We had t-shirts that said “It takes a lot of beer to make good wine”.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Do it.

And then you'll be like "Why the fuck did I just drop $400 bucks on this?"
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Never had it.  

However, I have been underwhelmed by almost every over $100 bottle I’ve had the luxury to sample.  

There are so many really good sub $20-50 bottles these days.  

The best red I ever had was a $75 petite Syrah from Washington state.  Roc Bloc I believe.  

Personally, while I’ve had very expensive wine… Never paid more than $75 on my dime.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
$400 is high even for Opus.

You can get wines that are less money that are every bit as good or better than Opus.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I’d rather spend $75 on a bottle of Silver Oak (Alexander Valley) and then spend the rest on some quality A5 Wagyu
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm going to try Jarvis this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation. I was a scotch guy too for may years - Johnnie Walker Blue was a blend that beat many of the single malts I liked. So if you say Jarvis is smooth, I want to try it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue is some great stuff.  
On a recommendation I bought a $60 bottle of Cardhu and I’d recommend you try it.  Better than Black maybe not as good as Blue but damn good.
    As far as the Jarvis I hope you like it as much as I hyped it.
I typically find high priced spirts to be hit or miss. Some is worth every penny and others feel like a giant waste of cash.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#27]
ahh I am glad I made this thread, sounds like it's going to be too dry for me.

Any recommendations on a good merlot or similar sweetness? I just can't do dry, reminds me too much of communion wine as a kid
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Fuck that. By a nice bottle of bourbon or scotch. You can nurse a bottle over a few years, one maybe two nights for a bottle of wine.

Go grab a Glenfiddich 21 or Mccallan 18 and still have $100 left over for another decent bottle.

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#29]

When I grew up in the mid 90's, my parents had verticals of Opus One. I can only imagine what was in that 700 bottle fridge.

So many great wines around $100. Beyond that price point the returns are diminishing quickly. That ego, though....
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it. Caymus is excellent. I like Del Dotto, a lot, also. So much good wine, so little time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fuck that. By a nice bottle of bourbon or scotch. You can nurse a bottle over a few years, one maybe two nights for a bottle of wine.

Go grab a Glenfiddich 21 or Mccallan 18 and still have $100 left over for another decent bottle.

View Quote

I can't stand bourbon, scotch, whiskey,  etc. I've tried some quality ones as my good buddy is a scotch aficionado and I just don't like it. I do really like Rum and Tequila but you have to watch the Rum as they try to make it taste like whiskey or someshit
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate Scotch. Buy some nice bourbon and a bottle of Caymus. You'll be happier.

Merlot? Fuck it, buy some Duck Horn.

Put the rest on black.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Put the rest on black.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put the rest on black.

I do like Duck Horn

I just don't liek cabs
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Any recommendations on a good merlot or similar sweetness? I just can't do dry, reminds me too much of communion wine as a kid
View Quote

Rombauer is a favorite of mine and about $50-60 a bottle. If your not a wine drinker regularly, don't spend much more than that.

You probably won't find it for sale locally, but Williamsburg Winery Adagio is amazing ($68). Its a meritage blend. probably a little more tannins than a merlot, but not at much as a cab. Right now you can get 2017 vintage which was a great year for east coast wines. Buy 2, drink one, put one aside for a decade. I think we killed a 2008 at Christmas and have 5 other bottles in rotation. Need to order some more while 2017 is available. The winery will also sell older bottles out of the cellar if available.
https://store.nexternal.com/wmbgstore/2017-adagio-p775.aspx
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Rombauer is a favorite of mine and about $50-60 a bottle. If your not a wine drinker regularly, don't spend much more than that.

You probably won't find it for sale locally, but Williamsburg Winery Adagio is amazing ($68). Its a meritage blend. probably a little more tannins than a merlot, but not at much as a cab. Right now you can get 2017 vintage which was a great year for east coast wines. Buy 2, drink one, put one aside for a decade. I think we killed a 2008 at Christmas and have 5 other bottles in rotation. Need to order some more while 2017 is available. The winery will also sell older bottles out of the cellar if available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting...I'll look for them

In Nola there is a place called Martin's Wine Cellar...if they don't have it, no one will. So Ill make a pass necxt time Im over there
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:45:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Cabs can be very sweet or more aged and refined, to me still sweet. Cabs are overdone,  most everything has been overdone. We need a new wine, new soil and climate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Meh..
That’s 2 bottles of  Seasmoke “Ten” Pinot Nor
and 2 Bottles of Blanton's.

That goes a lot further for me !
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I do like Duck Horn

I just don't liek cabs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put the rest on black.

I do like Duck Horn

I just don't liek cabs

Nothing wrong with Duck Horn. Stag's Leap makes a darn good merlot, also.

Point being, unless you're showing off of just flat have cash to burn, it's hard to get your return on a $400 bottle of wine. Not to say that Opus isn't excellent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cabs can be very sweet or more aged and refined, to me still sweet. Cabs are overdone,  most everything has been overdone. We need a new wine, new soil and climate.
View Quote

Have you tried South American or French wines? The flavor profile is very different from Napa valley wines. If you're bored with Napa wines, explore wines from different countries.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I neve had it, and I see that it is a blend promarily of a cab, which I am not a fan of dry wines, that's why I like merlot, but how is this wine? fairly dry? Looking to celebrate a goal I achieved today.
View Quote

If it was $100, I would maybe think about it.  @$400.  Not a chance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Fo or not to fo is not a question I can answer for you.
I can offer congrats on your personal milestone.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fo or not to fo is not a question I can answer for you.
I can offer congrats on your personal milestone.  

View Quote

thanks man!

it's somthing I have been working on since 2006
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#43]
We've enjoyed most of the "big booming cabs" and Caymus, Opus and others were well enjoyed. Now we prefer Gergich Hills and Jordan. Most bottles that are over $100 aren't worth it IMHO. Being older and less tolerant of tannins I'm a fan of what my stomach can take that matches what my mouth likes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
What goal?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What goal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What goal?

finally got a center console to fish pelagics, a real deal offshore machine, it's a 2016 and has the engines I wanted.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#46]
F0 ! and F0 HARD !!
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

finally got a center console to fish pelagics, a real deal offshore machine, it's a 2016 and has the engines I wanted.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/TwinVee_jpeg-2253890.JPG
View Quote

@2011

Congratulations!! I am looking  at a Prowler 31’ tomorrow. First soirée into twin-vee hulls.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Gundlach Bundschu Vintage Reserve Cab
Gundlach Bundschu estate Merlot
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#49]
What, $400.00 for Opus!

Buy two.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@2011

Congratulations!! I am looking  at a Prowler 31’ tomorrow. First soirée into twin-vee hulls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/TwinVee_jpeg-2253890.JPG

@2011

Congrats man!

Dude, I got to check out the 31 prowler at the Miami Show, that's a freaking beasts of a hull.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top