Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2019 5:32:23 PM EDT
Here is a list of my favorite Fantasy Book Series in no particular order. (I haven't read anything in the last year. I bet some of them have the next books out in the last year, and I have a lot of catching up to do). Of course A Song of Fire and Ice, and the Gunslinger series don't even have to be mentioned.

Robin Hobb -The Farseer Series
Mark Lawrence -  The Broken Empire Series and Red Queens War Series
Peter V. Brett - The Demon Cycle Series
Curtis Jobling - Wereworld Series
Raymond E. Feist -  Magician Series and follow ups
Jennifer A. Neilson - Ascendance Trilogy
Trudi Caravan - Magician' Guild Series
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Series
I've finished quite a few other series, but they weren't my favorites like these few.

I've tried and quit a few other more famous series in the genre that I didn't find as interesting as obviously other people with better taste than me did by Patrick Rothfuss, Steven Erikson, Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Peter v Brett and Joe Abercrombie are solid.

I am finishing the core currently.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Song of WHEN THE HELL WILL I EVER FINISH THIS? NEVER!!! - GRR Martin
Whatever the hell Patrick Rothfus's books are called, but it doesn't matter because he got geek famous and will never finish the series either.
The Fool and Fitz stuff by Robin Hobb. Actually, her other books are good too.
Dawn of Wonder - Johnathan Renshaw - Another GRR wanna be who can't finish a sequel
Conan - at least the Robert Jordan and Robert E Howard ones.

And for nostalgia the Dragonlance books - at least the main series and legend of Huma and the Raistlin trilogy. Not as great as when I was a kid, but still good. The spin-off books were largely misses written by the same trash writers who did the Forgotten Realms and other D&D books.

I like fantasy, but I tend to read way more sci-fi stuff. Probably because most of my favorite authors just stop writing mid-series. (Robert Jordan is excused. He got sick and then died, so in no way was he at fault.)
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And for nostalgia the Dragonlance books - at least the main series and legend of Huma and the Raistlin trilogy. Not as great as when I was a kid, but still good. The spin-off books were largely misses written by the same trash writers who did the Forgotten Realms and other D&D books.
View Quote
I liked the Icewind Dale trilogy and most of the Ravenloft novels.

Richard A. Knaak is good for folks who have played WoW and like the lore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The Myst Series from Rand and Robyn Miller. Very good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple I've enjoyed over the last year or so:

The Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan, starting with Promise of Blood.  Set in a world in the middle of an industrial revolution, it's got lots of war.  Think Napoleonic Era with magic mixed in.  One type of magic revolves around snorting black powder which unlocks an individual's power to make shots over a mile with a flintlock, among many other things.

Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series.  It's far more than a trilogy with, I believe, over ten installments.  It's also set in a world during an industrial revolution, though very different from the above series by McClellan.  The Shadows series eschews traditional fantasy races of dwarves, elves, and halflings, instead having many races which are men which have aspects of different insect species.  The beetles and ants are the most numerous, and most industrial.  Spiders, Mantis, and Moths have lost their hold on the other races, as their magic fades.

Neither series is perfect, with Shadows of the Apt showing more signs of a new author, especially in the first book or two.  However, I don't think I've wasted my time reading them.  For reasons unknown to me, there are no audiobook versions of the Shadows of the Apt series.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Terry Pratchett-Disc World series
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Sword of Truth was pretty good as a teenager but just got freaking weird when the worlds split.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Joe Abercrombie's already been mentioned.  That'd be my #2 series

R Scott Bakker's the Prince of Nothing trilogy was the most awesome, terrifying shit I've ever read.

Think LOTR mixed with rapey space aliens, medieval politics, Crusades against Islam, magic, and a Jesus/Buddha messiah type figure whose out to save the world with knowledge bombs.

The first book starts off with all the characters all across the world, and it takes a bit of cross referencing to remember whose who, and whose where...etc.  The names are also a bit over the top.  It takes awhile to figure out wtf is even going on since everybodys actions dont relate for like 1/3 of the book.  But once the world building and characters are established and shit gets going, it's prob the most unique and compelling story I've ever read.

Avoid if you are squeamish cuz there is some naaaaasty shit that happens in the books. If you can persevere, do it, it's worth the effort!

Story also gets bonus points cuz it shows women the way women were actually treated in medieval type societies.  No strong empowered sisterhood bullshit here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sword of Truth was pretty good as a teenager but just got freaking weird when the worlds split.
View Quote
yes.  I enjoyed them when I was like 17-19 but by book 12 or so I was bored af.  Left the series for a few years and came back to check out the new books after the godawful tv show came out.  Trash.

Honestly, that shit is so predictable, it should only be sold as YA stuff.  Which is a shame cuz its so rare to see an author preach conservative viewpoints.  But if your actual storytelling abilities suck, I'm not gonna subsidize your substandard work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Robert Kroese's "Dis" trilogy is hilarious.  First two books were better than the third, but the third was still good.

He has a new pentology coming out, all five over the next six months, for which the first book was released yesterday.  Descriptions and links on his website:

https://badnovelist.com/
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Richard K Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs Novels (Altered Carbon series on Netflix).
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Yesterday the first of a new series by Joe Abercrombie was released.  Like his others, this one is set in the nation of Adua.  I'll be getting it for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yesterday the first of a new series by Joe Abercrombie was released.  Like his others, this one is set in the nation of Adua.  I'll be getting it for sure.
View Quote
Just picked it up on kindle over the weekend.  Shoulda reread the standalone novels if not the First Law books too just to get primed.  Some of the names like Dan Brock left me forgetting who their ancestor was.

Was that the big swordsman or the general.  (I've since figured it out but it was confusing for about the first hundred pages)

As like all Abercrombies work, its great so far.  But still got half the book to go!
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. folks re-read this 14 book series multiple times
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working through it for the first time. I like it. On book 8. I loved Rothfuss - Name of the Wind, can't wait for the last one. Disc World- a great way to break up the other Fantasy books.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Jerry Pournelle's Lord Kalvan

Stephen Hunt's Jackelian series. Best steampunk there is has it all.

Brett is very good as is Abercrombie.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#17]
The Books of Swords “Wound Healer’s Story” and etc. and the prequel series were good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Malazan Book of the fallen. 10 book series, starting with Gardens of the moon. There are also around a dozen prequels, sequels, etc
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Working on my latest re-read. Started in January. On book 9, but I had to take a break to read the newest Pierce Brown book.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't read fantasy series any more (haven't for a long time) but the two I remember from my youth that I really enjoyed...

Zelazny - The Amber Series
Lustbader - Sunset Warrior Trilogy

It would be interesting to read them now and see how they are.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The Executioner
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The Black Company (about 9 books) by Glen Cook is the best fantasy since JRR Tolkin.

No good guys, just flavors of self-interested bad guys fighting an even greater evil.

If you like fantasy stuff, you are doing a great disservice to yourself by skipping this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Sean Grigsby, an Arkansas firefighter, has a couple of urban-fantasy novels out about firefighting.  The first one was not exactly what I'd call great literature, or great, or literature, but definitely way different from all the near-copypasta "I'm a good wizard killing evil baddies and werewolves and vampires" stuff that's out there.

I'm five chapters into the second, and so far the only SJW talking points he's missed covering are about religious bigots wanting to ban a woman's right to abortion.  I'm sure he'll get to that before the end of the book.  He's already talked about how evil racist white people used to lynch blacks for no reason (because that's relevant to a future-fantasy novel about dragons destroying the planet), how transgender people are just like everyone else and should get to use the bathroom too, and of course muh patriarchy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Raymond E Feist’s “Magician” series and everything in the same worlds that followed it.
David Eddings “Belgariad” and “Mallorean.” I didn’t like his other 2 series (“Tamuli” and something else) quite as much.
Wheel of Time.
A Song of Ice and Fire, but I doubt I’ll read anything else he might write.
Robin Hobb, “Soldier Son” series I think it’s called. The Fool & Fitz books were good, too.
Saberhagen’s “Book of Swords” series.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
J.R.R Tolkien. - all of his middle earth books

Terry Brooks - like his original Shannara trilogy best.  Then the second 4 Shannara books series.  Felt he did not live up to his past works after that

Stephen r Donaldson  - first Covenant series.  Second series was okay but not as good.  Have not read his final Covenant series

Dennis L McKierman.  - I like many of his books like the iron tower trilogy.    Not as a good writer as the above and some is a rip off of Tolkien but still like most of his books
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Currently on book 11: Knife Of Dreams.
Probably my 5th re-read of the WOT series.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Malazan Book of the fallen. 10 book series, starting with Gardens of the moon. There are also around a dozen prequels, sequels, etc
View Quote
The Malazan series is very good, I'd only suggest it to serious fantasy fans though, it isn't light reading.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Raymond E Feist’s “Magician” &
David Eddings “Belgariad” and “Mallorean.”

The Gunslinger books by Stephen King are at the top of my list also

These were/are my absolute favorites
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Saga of the Forgotten Warrior by Larry Correia is amazing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#30]
J R R Tolkien -  Lord of the Rings

Stephen Lawhead - Pendragon Cycle
(A semi-historical take on Arthurian Legend)

Susan Cooper - Dark Is Rising Serie
s (this is Young Adult book series, but I still remember them to this day.  Starts out slow an then gets really good.  I would start with the 2nd Book to gauge interest)

George R R Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Series
(GRRM will not finish the story; Dance with Dragons sucked, it's more about food than the storyline; other than those, solid books)

George R R Martin - A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (originally three separate short stories colloquially called "The Tales of Dunk & Egg"  it covers a Hedge Knight's life about 100 years before the ASOIAF occurs; this got me into Game of Thrones and I really liked the characters).

Various Authors - Wing Commander Book Series (Based on the Video Game by the same name.  It is written like a WWII Aircraft Carrier / Fighter Wing in Space.  Very good Book Series)

Harry Turtledove - World War Series
(an Alien invasion occurs in the midst of WWII;  also check out "Guns of the South" for a great stand alone).
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Piers Anthony - Apprentice Adept series and Incarnations of Immortality series
Stephen R Donaldson - Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Terry Brooks - Magic Kingdom of Landover series
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#32]
A Song of Ice and Fire

Lord of the Rings

The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart.  One of my favorites.

I really don't like fantasy but I still give it a chance from time to time because you just never know what you may discover such as Jan Siegel's "Fernanda Capel" series.  That lady can write BEAUTIFUL fantasy.

I remember finishing the first book in that series, "Prospero's Children" and then kicking back to Donovan's "Atlantis".  Man, it was like getting high.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Gotta plug my wife, Mickey Zucker Reichert.
The Renshai series, 9 books.
The Legend of Nightfall
The Return of Nightfall.

I consider the Nightfall books to be her best work to date.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jerry Pournelle's Lord Kalvan

Stephen Hunt's Jackelian series. Best steampunk there is has it all.

Brett is very good as is Abercrombie.
View Quote
Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen series was not written by Jerry Pournelle, but by H Beam Piper, and Piper only wrote the first book. John F Carr wrote the other 5-6 or so years after Piper committed suicide. Carr was an assistant, manager, editor, confidante for Pournelle before Jerry passed away a couple years ago. Jerry was originally going to write additional books in Piper's Space Viking universe but got caught up in his own writing, so Carr started it and then started writing the other books like the Kalvan series.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Malazan Saga by Steven Erikson

First one drags and you have to get through it (Gardens of the Moon) ....the rest will blow your socks off.

George RR Martin is a hack.  Game of Thrones is garbage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
-
Saberhagen’s “Book of Swords” series.
View Quote

Never read those, but I really enjoyed his entire Berserker series.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
-
Harry Turtledove - World War Series [/b](an Alien invasion occurs in the midst of WWII;  also check out "Guns of the South" for a great stand alone).

View Quote

The World War series is 4 books, then there's the follow-up 4 books, then one final book to wrap everything up.  Really good series.

Turtledove also did a couple of great books called "Alternate Generals" with some other writers, basically as though different leaders were in different places, or things played out slightly differently.

There's one short story called "Billy Mitchell's Overt Act" that's just great.  Without ruining it, Billy Mitchell doesn't die before WW2, but gets stationed as far away as the Air Corps can put him - in Hawaii - where he's in charge of the B17s out there and basically runs them his own way as he has very different opinions on what threats will be emerging in the future.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Sten series
Horus heresy
Chasm city
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
J.R.R Tolkien. - all of his middle earth books

Terry Brooks - like his original Shannara trilogy best.  Then the second 4 Shannara books series.  Felt he did not live up to his past works after that

Stephen r Donaldson  - first Covenant series.  Second series was okay but not as good.  Have not read his final Covenant series

Dennis L McKierman.  - I like many of his books like the iron tower trilogy.    Not as a good writer as the above and some is a rip off of Tolkien but still like most of his books
View Quote

Did you not like how he connected the Word and Void series with the Shannara books?  @JMD
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Any of the Cosmere books by Brandon Sanderson (the guy who finished out Wheel of Time)

The Stormlight Archive
Mistborn
Elantris
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here is a list of my favorite Fantasy Book Series in no particular order. (I haven't read anything in the last year. I bet some of them have the next books out in the last year, and I have a lot of catching up to do). Of course A Song of Fire and Ice, and the Gunslinger series don't even have to be mentioned.

Robin Hobb -The Farseer Series
View Quote

Have you tried Robin Hobb's Shaman series?  

For me the first thing that comes to mind is Elizabeth Moon - the Paksenarrion series.
Think D&D mixed with some military tactics.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series.

Coined the term “swords and sorcery.” He was influenced by and corresponded with Lovecraft and REH, and in turn was a huge influence on Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and GRRM. (Tyrion and Bronn partying in a decadent urban setting = straight up homage).

His heroes grow and age thru the series, and some of it will make a great film. Think ‘Three Musketeers’ in feel and tone. (From the one I’ve seen, the Mignola comics nailed it.)

“....how can Lankhmar hold out until then with her walls breached and the odds fifty to one against her?"

I'd like to know that myself," Ningauble assured him.

"And how do I get to the temple when the streets are crammed with warfare?"

Ningauble shrugged once again. "You're a hero. You should know."

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series.

Coined the term “swords and sorcery.” He was influenced by and corresponded with Lovecraft and REH, and in turn was a huge influence on Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and GRRM. (Tyrion and Bronn partying in a decadent urban setting = straight up homage).

His heroes grow and age thru the series, and some of it will make a great film. Think ‘Three Musketeers’ in feel and tone. (From the one I’ve seen, the Mignola comics nailed it.)

“....how can Lankhmar hold out until then with her walls breached and the odds fifty to one against her?"

I'd like to know that myself," Ningauble assured him.

"And how do I get to the temple when the streets are crammed with warfare?"

Ningauble shrugged once again. "You're a hero. You should know."

View Quote

I've only read a few of them, but they were excellent. Good call and thanks for letting me know there was a comic. I will be looking for that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorns
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Joe Abercrombie's already been mentioned.  That'd be my #2 series
R Scott Bakker's the Prince of Nothing trilogy was the most awesome, terrifying shit I've ever read.
View Quote

I just bought the first one for Kindle.

I loved LOTR and Dune.  Game of Thrones bored the shit out of me.  I hope Prince of Nothing is more like the former.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't read fantasy series any more (haven't for a long time) but the two I remember from my youth that I really enjoyed...

Zelazny - The Amber Series
Lustbader - Sunset Warrior Trilogy

It would be interesting to read them now and see how they are.
View Quote

Zelazny was one of my favorites.  Hard to find another writer who had such a commanding knowledge of world mythologies, and knew how to write to them.

Also, six Hugos and three Nebulas says something...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#48]
For me

Lord of the Rings - JRRT
The Black Company - Glen Cook
The Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson *just started this, didn't know it was a 10 booke'r if I enjoy book one enough I'll dive into the rest.
The Lankhmar series by Fritz Lieber
Conan stories by Howard
A Song of Ice and Fire - Martin
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For me

Lord of the Rings - JRRT
The Black Company - Glen Cook
The Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson *just started this, didn't know it was a 10 booke'r if I enjoy book one enough I'll dive into the rest.
The Lankhmar series by Fritz Lieber
Conan stories by Howard
A Song of Ice and Fire - Martin
View Quote

I just bought book one of the Stormlight Archive.  I think he's only released 4 books so far of the planned ten.  

Don't know when I'll start it.

I haven't read any of the author's previous work before.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#50]
For some throwback goodness try the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series starting with Lord Foul's Bain.  The first 3 books are really the only ones worth reading.

I actually also like the Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern, in particular White Dragon and the first few after that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top