Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2020 9:12:45 PM EDT
So I was trying to backup a Raspberry Pi image to a USB Attached Hard drive...

I was trying to type out dd bs=4M if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /srv/Volume_1/NAS/Backups/NAS_OS_Backup.img.gz

Instead, I entered by accident... "dd bs=4M if=dev/mmcblk0 #" and then hit enter by accident.

I was using as handheld blue tooth keyboard, and for whatever reason Raspbian was set to British keyboard layout (Limey bastards! ). Suddenly the screen began to get filled with random characters scrolling by.

I just want an assurance that I didn't corrupt my Raspberry pi OS installation by doing this? I have no idea what the "#" would signify to Linux. I checked the home folder, and don't see any files created with the name "#".

If I were to make a wild ass guess... this command would have simply displayed the image file data on screen via the terminal... as I think "#" references the terminal itself?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
# is for comment, it's ignored along with any text following it
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I were to make a wild ass guess... this command would have simply displayed the image file data on screen via the terminal... as I think "#" references the terminal itself?
View Quote

You are correct. It outputted the data it was reading to your terminal. Nothing else bad happened.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#3]
as long as you didn't spooge your of= parameter, then you just spammed your own display, and didn't corrupt or overwrite a device
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
as long as you didn't spooge your of= parameter, then you just spammed your own display, and didn't corrupt or overwrite a device
View Quote

This. OP may have b0rked his command but is not fuX0red.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Hit CTRL-C a few times. If your terminal is all corrupted with weird characters type in:
reset
and hit enter. The characters that appear on your screen may not look right as you type them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top