Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2020 10:18:48 AM EDT
I have a couple of OLD windows that have to re-glazed.  It's a project I've put off and there is exposed wood which is dry as dirt.

I want to give them a coat of BLO so that the oil isn't sucked out of the glaze.

I re-glazed a couple of other windows years ago and they were dry and the glaze cracked long before it should have.

Assuming I use the right kind of glaze, does this sound like it would work?

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it.

Also, use oil-based primer when you repaint.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it.

Also, use oil-based primer when you repaint.
View Quote

Yep, I'm going Oil based with DAP 33 glaze

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a couple of OLD windows that have to re-glazed.  It's a project I've put off and there is exposed wood which is dry as dirt.

I want to give them a coat of BLO so that the oil isn't sucked out of the glaze.

I re-glazed a couple of other windows years ago and they were dry and the glaze cracked long before it should have.

Assuming I use the right kind of glaze, does this sound like it would work?

View Quote

I use wood hardener until it starts to build a film.
It sets up quickly so you can apply another coat pretty quickly.
And another...
And another...

Without some additional hardener (Japan Drier)
BLO takes days to weeks to actually set up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Without some additional hardener (Japan Drier) BLO takes days to weeks to actually set up.
View Quote

BLO has a hardener in it.  It is raw linseed oil that takes forever to cure.  Even so, the idea is to stop the linseed oil from being leached out of the glazing.  

The glazing is whiting and linseed oil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually I thought I may dilute the BLO with Mineral spirits or Turpentine, I forget which

I've used this on rifle stocks

I have at least a month or more, unless winter comes early, which I doubt

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

BLO has a hardener in it.  It is raw linseed oil that takes forever to cure.  Even so, the idea is to stop the linseed oil from being leached out of the glazing.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without some additional hardener (Japan Drier) BLO takes days to weeks to actually set up.

BLO still takes a long time to set up.

Most of what is done to make BLO is to get it to partially set by heating.

Adding some additional Japan Drier can get it into the overnight area.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have time to let any of the coatings set up, just use clear shellac. I used to do that when I repaired windows when my parents owned their hardware store if I had to do a really weathered window. The shellac dries fast and seals the wood so it won't suck the linseed oil out of the glazing compound. Shellac really isn't weatherproof, so don't use it on the whole window, just the glass channel. The glazing will seal the shellac so that it isn't exposed. Then make sure to paint or otherwise seal the rest of the window. Simple, easy and quick drying.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you don't have time to let any of the coatings set up, just use clear shellac. I used to do that when I repaired windows when my parents owned their hardware store if I had to do a really weathered window. The shellac dries fast and seals the wood so it won't suck the linseed oil out of the glazing compound. Shellac really isn't weatherproof, so don't use it on the whole window, just the glass channel. The glazing will seal the shellac so that it isn't exposed. Then make sure to paint or otherwise seal the rest of the window. Simple, easy and quick drying.
View Quote

That's a really great idea

Thank you very much
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you very much
View Quote

No problem and you're welcome.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you very much
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much

Shellac is not moisture resistant.
It has few uses outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much

That's where the glaze and paint come in  

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, it's been a week since this thread started, is your linseed oil (boiled or with Japan drier) dry yet?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, it's been a week since this thread started, is your linseed oil (boiled or with Japan drier) dry yet?
View Quote

It's still on the "to Do" list

I like to get info ahead of time

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I said that it wasn't moisture resistant. I also said that you don't use it on the whole window, just the glass channel. Seal the shellac in the glass channel with the glazing, then paint or otherwise seal the rest of the wood with paint or some other sealer. The shellac isn't exposed to any weather but seals the exposed wood on the glass channel so it doesn't leach the linseed oil out of the glazing compound, making it fail prematurely. I did this for years, even on some windows in my own house. As long as the shellac is sealed from the outside, no problems. Leave the rest of the wood exposed to where moisture can get to the shellac, then you have issues.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are NOT perfectly water tight either.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than bare wood like it is now

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it correctly or do it again.

BLO with some additional hardener can be made so set up in a few days.
Or you can deal with rotted out window wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top