Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2021 2:54:19 PM EDT
I had a lightroom/photoshop subscription, but don't really want to pay for it right now. What's the hive recommend?
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s LightZone for a LR clone, and the GIMP for a PS copy. Both have learning curves.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There’s LightZone for a LR clone, and the GIMP for a PS copy. Both have learning curves.
View Quote

I'll check them out. I've used gimp before and remember it having some challenges.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Next to the definition of “challenges” in the dictionary is a pic of the GIMPs splash screen
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought luminar 4 a few years ago, which is OK, but I just discovered Capture One (for Sony) and played with it a bit. I think I like it much better. I think it'll help me learn processing better than Luminar 4. It looks like there may be other free versions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I just said screw it and reupped my Adobe subscription...
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised no one mentioned DarkTable.
It does work pretty well at handing bulk groups of photos.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Luminar has released a new version of their software, anyone know how they compare in $$$ to other formats?
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Luminar has released a new version of their software, anyone know how they compare in $$$ to other formats?
View Quote

In for information on this.

Also curious about Corel PaintShop.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
More of a Photoshop replacement, but worth a look.
One time payment, a lot of photoshop plugins work, a more "regular" and predictable interface than photoshop.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Gimp sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
More of a Photoshop replacement, but worth a look.
One time payment, a lot of photoshop plugins work, a more "regular" and predictable interface than photoshop.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
View Quote

This is what I have used for 2 years and I love it.  I paid once and have got like 5 free updates so far.  As long as this is available I wouldn't even consider subscription based software.

Lots of cool features like focus stacking too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
doesn't Nikon have their own free software u can download?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also curious about Corel PaintShop.
View Quote

Corel's Paintshop Pro does about 85-90 % of what Photoshop does. PSP uses all the same plug-ins while some might need scripting interfaces. Some of the PSP interfaces are easier to use than Photoshop. PSP is purchased, not subscribed, so it is yours forever (until you need a new version for a new camera).

Corel also has a Lightroom replacement, but I have never tried it.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I use SilkyPix Developer Studio Pro 10.  Pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I switched to Capture 1.
View Quote

I'm on a perpetual license of LR6 and have refused to move to their new subscription service, but I'm upgrading my camera body soon and will be needing some new software. I did the trial version of Capture One and I actually liked it a little better than Lightroom so I'll be switching to that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top