Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 11:39:45 AM EDT
There is a lot of truth here.  The "ghosts" do indeed exist, and continue to motivate.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-secret-to-lifting-forever?utm_source=tnation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_dose-181202&fbclid=IwAR2iBaol9-nOXU0Qdq6RmWC9Z_mFNcUc5oOJOEffUhUDbv9bjZf6kHpwFQ8

You need a ghost. And you need to be afraid of it

Oh, I know. You ain't scared of nothing, and you still have that "No Fear" shirt from the 1990's to prove it. But I also know that every successful person, in any field, has a ghost or two that haunts them.

A "ghost" is something that follows you around your whole life, nudging you. While you may not exactly be afraid of it, it does worry and weigh on you:

The fear of being broke ghost.
The fear of disappointing those you love ghost.
The fear of becoming your father (or mother, or that bad coach you had once) ghost.
The fear of not accomplishing what you KNOW you're capable of accomplishing ghost.
The fear that your haters are right ghost.
On our field of play, maybe these ghosts look different:

The fear of getting fat (again) ghost.
The fear of being weak ghost.
The fear of not being able to take care of yourself when you get old ghost.
The fear of getting naked in front of someone new ghost.
The fear of swimsuit season ghost.
The fear of getting an easily preventable disease ghost.
The fear of getting gassed when walking up a flight of stairs ghost.
The fear of having toddler arms ghost.
The fear of coming in last place ghost.
The fear of getting an old-man ass ghost.
These ghosts get us out of bed for a morning workout when we'd rather sleep in. They make us work a little harder, be a little more disciplined with our diets, and take a LOT more responsibility in our lives. They "scare" us in the right direction.

It's true, some people probably don't have ghosts. And they're probably f*cking losers. – Chris Shugart
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The fear of getting an old-man ass ghost.
View Quote
Probably one of the worst of fates.

Like a frog wearing a pair of pants.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a lot of those “ghosts”.
Both my parents were lazy, never exercised, ate what they wanted and my dad smoked through three heart attacks.  Still, they both lived into their 80s.
I go to the base gym (retired military) three times a week, eat right, keep my waist under 32” and my weight under 145 (I’m 5’9” and almost 73 years old).
With the advances in medicine, I figure that, for every year I live, medical science will add at least one more.  
I plan to live forever and so far I’m right on schedule.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
lotta truth to that. Getting old and weak and not being able to do simple things myself is terrifying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Part of mine are memories of seeing people in nursing homes when I would visit my grand parents. It was so scary and depressing to me. I never want to be in that situation.
I want to be 80 and people say, "that is one hard ass old man!"
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of mine are memories of seeing people in nursing homes when I would visit my grand parents. It was so scary and depressing to me. I never want to be in that situation.
I want to be 80 and people say, "that is one hard ass old man!"
View Quote
Exact same experience for me. Life lesson there....
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a sneak peak earlier this year when I lost my pancreas. Six months of laying in a bed made me so weak I couldn’t walk. Lost over 100lbs andI looked like a frail old guy. That sucked. The whole time I was thinking that must be about like the hell those old people in homes get to go through their last few years. Being weak and helpless was the worst thing I’ve ever had to go through.

Several of the surgeons that took care of me said I would never have made it if I wasn’t so strong to begin with. It’s motivated me to get stronger than ever though, among other things.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got a sneak peak earlier this year when I lost my pancreas. Six months of laying in a bed made me so weak I couldn't walk. Lost over 100lbs andI looked like a frail old guy. That sucked. The whole time I was thinking that must be about like the hell those old people in homes get to go through their last few years. Being weak and helpless was the worst thing I've ever had to go through.

Several of the surgeons that took care of me said I would never have made it if I wasn't so strong to begin with. It's motivated me to get stronger than ever though, among other things.
View Quote
No bullshit, I thought you had to have a pancreas?  I don't even know what it does, but everyone who says cancer there says it really bad.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You do. It makes your insulin and the digestive enzymes that let you process fat. They told me I would die. They were kinda right as I did die for a bit but I’m getting along with exogenous insulin and pills with enzyme stuff in them. I think the cancer there is bad due to it’s propensity to spread everywhere quickly. I’ve known two guys that died from that and it didn’t take long. Last CT I had showed less than 10% of mine left in there but fuck that little guy, he was an asshole and I didn’t want him anyway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, good for you BASE. That's intense.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My motivation is longevity, functional strength, and being able to recover from shit when I'm old.  Not to mention the positive effect strength has on balance for old people.  I'm not going to be one of those guys who is otherwise healthy but goes down due to a broken hip in my late 70s.

I have to admit I am wallowing in regret the last few weeks.  I was a strong lifter way back in my early 20s, and I quit and did sedentary work.  I was slapped with a reality check this summer, when I had a hard time lifting a fucking 2x12x12 for a deck.  

Now in my mid 40s, I am learning that I can make good gains, but I am more prone to injury from lifting - as well as the slow recovery compared to a younger guy.  It's frustrating as hell, because I could easily spend the time in my gym every day from a motivational aspect (I do 5x5 every other day) and I absolutely love my time in it.  Makes me wonder why I waited so long to finally quit being a fatass.

I think I have a fairly significant shoulder injury, I don't know when it happened but may have been OH press or bench.  Seems like a rotator cuff or torn labrum.  This is very depressing, because the thought of having to take 6 months off post surgery to heal would really piss me off.  I want to get back to the total I was at in my youth (~1200 or so) within a year if possible.  Tired of being weak, waking up with a stiff back and achy knees from doing a little bit of physical work.

I have seen some gains but the shoulder is pretty damn discouraging.  Right now I am stubbornly working through it (no pain during the lifts, just at night afterward) and trying to work around it a bit with good form.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ironic thread, because I "work out" with my "ghosts"... or more accurately my fears.

I'm an older dad with young kids so staying fit for them is always in the forefront of my mind.

However, on specific lifts, I often imagine a need to move them to safety or lift something off of them - to get that last bit of motivation/intensity.

ex.  OHP is imagining them standing on the bar and pressing them up to safety.  DL is moving a weight that has them trapped.  BP is freeing myself to get to them, etc.

Goofy perhaps, but having a mental image/scenario triggering urgency works for me.  At 45, "looking good" as motivation for not quitting on the last rep doesn't cut it.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ironic thread, because I "work out" with my "ghosts"... or more accurately my fears.

I'm an older dad with young kids so staying fit for them is always in the forefront of my mind.

However, on specific lifts, I often imagine a need to move them to safety or lift something off of them - to get that last bit of motivation/intensity.

ex.  OHP is imagining them standing on the bar and pressing them up to safety.  DL is moving a weight that has them trapped.  BP is freeing myself to get to them, etc.

Goofy perhaps, but having a mental image/scenario triggering urgency works for me.  At 45, "looking good" as motivation for not quitting on the last rep doesn't cut it.  
View Quote
I don't think there is anything goofy at all about that. It is a good way to motivate yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top