Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2020 12:10:57 AM EDT
Looking to build a platform for my garage.  With all of the kids' bikes, motorcycle, lawnmower, garden tools, etc., space is a bit tight.  An 8'x8' platform would fit (though not pleasantly) assuming the rack is within that footprint.

What do your setups look like?

Also, did you mount your racks on the platform or or build the platform around the rack?  Not sure if the weight of the rack on the platform would cause it to warp; especially considering the temperature fluctuations and humidity in the garage.

This would be mostly for the basic lifts and maybe some olympic lifts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

8x8, but levels the slope of the garage and has layers of stall mats to dampen sound and vibration.

I don't like the footprint a standard rack takes up.  Stands are easy to move and don't take up space.  Should I need the space, the platform can stand on edge.

This is for an Olympic weightlifting centered program.  A powerlifting, bodybuilding or just an exercise based goal would require different equipment and layout.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I made mine short so I could still pull the car in

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Ours just grew, but you can get by with two or three mats IMO.  Or sure 8x8 works.

Attachment Attached File
Older pic.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is 8x8 with the rack next to it. 3 layers of plywood and I have another sheet cut into thirds and fit inside the rack. The 8x8 butts up against the sheet inside the rack.

I don’t really do any Olympic lifts except for power cleans so the 8x8 footprint is a bit unnecessary; I could get by with 4x8. The bigger platform has helped prevent the typical garage clutter from encroaching on my area though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Bottom layer is crappy Harbor Freight puzzle type shop mats.  Second two layers are junk plywood from work.  Top layer is horse stall mats and maple ply.  Rack is bolted through all layers with carriage bolts.  Spax screws and finish washers for the mats, no washers on the plywood to hold it all together.

Also note the Harbor Freight safety straps for added cheapness.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the replies, gentlemen.  Your setups are inspiring.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of good ones Here including mine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, some of the plates came.  No sign of the rack.  While I await the rack to build the platform, it looks like someone had a different platform idea while I was working.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the point of having plywood on top of the gym matting?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, some of the plates came.  No sign of the rack.  While I await the rack to build the platform, it looks like someone had a different platform idea while I was working.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59617/IMG_4095_JPG-1434046.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59617/IMG_4096_JPG-1434048.JPG
View Quote

You might not get those plates back
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

the big kids like it for a solid platform to lift off of when they have 3500lbs in there hands.

i am a mortal, so I just use mats.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Stand on the wood- solid
weights hit the stall mat with wood under it- no damage to floor or weights.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is typically a wood platform between two strips of stall mat instead of wood on top of rubber mat.

You wind up with a level surface from right edge to the left edge, mats being a nominal 3/4 inch thick, same as the plywood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top