Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 4:49:08 PM EDT
I have been virtually finger blasting Wranglers for the past year, and might pull the trigger here soon.

What is the used value of a full driveline/lift/37in tires, winch, etc, compared to a "stock" Wrangler of similar year, miles, etc.

Let's say the parts were installed by professionals, in the past 3 years, tires are at least 80%, probably 90%, and the seller has the documentation to show he spent $15K on quality parts upgrades (including wheels and tires). In the used market is that worth half of the installed price? more/less?

Just looking for opinions, this is obviously subjective, but what's a decent percentage?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a JKU and now a JLU.  I'll take a stab at it.  To me, not much but mods are worth what you are willing to pay.  I would rather get an unmolested Jeep and do the mods myself.

To answer your question, if you like the modifications and you're comfortable with the quality of the mods and installation I would guess around 25% on top of the book price of an unmodified rig.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I would think (25-33%), assuming I want the stuff that is on the Jeep.

Unsurprisingly though, the two sellers with whom I have discussed price, think very different, but I think that is the same for anything custom, the customizer thinks his shit is awesome and worth all the money, when in reality, no one else does.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Need a parts list and photos to really give a value.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is what I would think (25-33%), assuming I want the stuff that is on the Jeep.

Unsurprisingly though, the two sellers with whom I have discussed price, think very different, but I think that is the same for anything custom, the customizer thinks his shit is awesome and worth all the money, when in reality, no one else does.

View Quote

Generally modifying a vehicle reduces the value of the vehicle.

Jeeps are a bit different.....but yeah it's a losing enterprise modifying a vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Need a parts list and photos to really give a value.
View Quote

This , One guys opinion of "Quality Parts " is somebody else's " POS " parts .
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
And knowing that the person or shop that did the lift/mods did it correctly. There is more to lifting any vehicle than just slapping parts on and go. I've seen plenty of Jeeps and trucks messed up because the loft wasn't done correctly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And knowing that the person or shop that did the lift/mods did it correctly. There is more to lifting any vehicle than just slapping parts on and go. I've seen plenty of Jeeps and trucks messed up because the loft wasn't done correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I am just looking for "in general."

If everybody thought a certain brand or part was shit, nobody would buy it. If I listened to the guys who say Jeeps are shit, I wouldn't be here, etc.

Seller has receipts showing all the following was installed at a shop that seems to be well regarded in the area.

Mickey Thompson 37 inch MT's on Fuel wheels

Dana 44's front and rear

Dynatrac axle housings

Teraflex Elite Long arm lift kit with Bilstein shocks

Among a bunch of other stuff, like a soft top, bumpers, winch, rock guards, etc.

The stuff on the Jeep is all stuff I like. I am not a picky man, especially if the price is right. Don't get me wrong, if the Jeep had some huge low profile tires and ground effects, it wouldn't matter how cheap it was selling for, but for what is actually on the Jeep, I like it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]
A lot depends on the quality of parts. Rough Country lifts are the bottom of the food chain usually and Terraflex is towards the top of Jeeps. Also is it regeared ? If not even with 4.10 gears of a Rubicon it will be a dog on the highway and a dog off road with 37's. Tires and wheels are worth 50% used.  Remember aggressive off road tires look never because everyone is used to looking at 12/32nds of tread on a car tire when your off road tire has 18-21/32nds new and at 7-8/32nds  that tire sucks off road even though it is not worn out. Has it been abused ? Sitting on the rev limited stuck in a mud pit leaves damn near no real signs of hard use. Assume the worse and hope for the best. Does it have any maintenance history ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Generally modifying a vehicle reduces the value of the vehicle.

Jeeps are a bit different.....but yeah it's a losing enterprise modifying a vehicle
View Quote

When I see a modified Jeep for sale, I think hard use/abuse,... a red flag.  

To me, the seller expecting me to pay for their mods is whacky, I want to cut the price.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had a JKU and now a JLU.  I'll take a stab at it.  To me, not much but mods are worth what you are willing to pay.  I would rather get an unmolested Jeep and do the mods myself.

To answer your question, if you like the modifications and you're comfortable with the quality of the mods and installation I would guess around 25% on top of the book price of an unmodified rig.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

^^^ These are good answers.  I just went through this process after following craigslist for 2 years.  Wound up paying more than I intended for a much better vehicle than I intended but it's good (2017 JKUR).
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I've owned and lifted and 4wheeled 7 different JKs

6 of them were JKUs

All of them were used and used hard off road.

I pressure washed and detailed and swapped parts before selling. All looked great.

All of them had done things most people would cringe at
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll say this

I'd look very carefully in the intake tract past the air filter for water and mud marks

Look around the block and heads for mud stains

Pull up the carpet and look for mud

Pull down the glove box and look for mud

Open the oil fill cap and look for brown or ruddy red color.

I have pictures of my first JKU, lifted 6" on 37s sitting in a river with water up to my chest (sitting in the seat)

I traded it and not a word was said. Everything worked great and looked like a mall crawler.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Trying to come up with a value for accessories is tough and eventually it just comes down to a gut check. Just like everyone tells you with houses don't get emotionally invested. The problem I usually have is that the stuff they have installed might be good stuff and it might have even been installed correctly but it's still not what I would have bought. Unless it's a killer deal which is tough on newer jeeps most times I would probably just want to start from scratch.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dana 44's front and rear

Dynatrac axle housings

View Quote

Impossible , cant have both . It Could have Dynatrac 44s but not both . What's it regeared to ? Have the stock axle shafts been upgraded to Chromo ? Is It a Rubicon ? What's the price they are asking ? What have they done to the Brake system and Steering system  ? With 37s I would want 4.88s with the 5 speed and deeper with an  automatic . 37s are pushing a 44 housing,  and shafts pretty hard Off Road . For a mall Crawler you should be fine .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top