Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2020 11:46:46 AM EDT
I’m getting life insurance and for the time being I want it to go to my two nephews.

They are very young. Do I just put their names as the payees? Or should I make a trust for them and have my brother be the trustee and invest and distribute the money to them when they turn 18?

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
#1 Trust, for sure. It allows you to exercise some wise, educated control over the money.

#2 think back to when you and your brother were 18. Would you have handled a large chunk of money wisely? Some people would have, but most wouldn't. Even if they are good kids, a large chunk of money that early in life can have big psychological effects and can ruin them similar to how the lottery ruins people. That is most likely an amount of money a few orders of magnitude larger than they've ever seen before. Payout at 18 isn't advisable IMHO. I would have it pay a very small percentage annually with payouts getting significantly larger after age 25.

Of course you can always write exceptions into the trust. They can get larger payouts for qualified education expenses, purchase of a home, business etc...
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
#1 Trust, for sure. It allows you to exercise some wise, educated control over the money.

#2 think back to when you and your brother were 18. Would you have handled a large chunk of money wisely? Some people would have, but most wouldn't. Even if they are good kids, a large chunk of money that early in life can have big psychological effects and can ruin them similar to how the lottery ruins people. That is most likely an amount of money a few orders of magnitude larger than they've ever seen before. Payout at 18 isn't advisable IMHO. I would have it pay a very small percentage annually with payouts getting significantly larger after age 25.

Of course you can always write exceptions into the trust. They can get larger payouts for qualified education expenses, purchase of a home, business etc...
View Quote

This kind of protection is provided with a Spendthrift Trust.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
In many states, if you leave it just to them, and they are minors when they receive it, then a parent or guardian has to set up some kind of court-ordered vehicle to receive it and hold it until they are adults, I don't remember the name.  It's a PITA to do, and it kinda screws the kids' parents (and the kids if the parents never do it).

However, making a trust is much, much easier, and the distribution is on YOUR terms, not the Court's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m getting life insurance and for the time being I want it to go to my two nephews.

They are very young. Do I just put their names as the payees? Or should I make a trust for them and have my brother be the trustee and invest and distribute the money to them when they turn 18?

Any advice is appreciated.
View Quote

18, 21, or make one of their parents put the family trust with restrictions.

Beneficiaries had to be 30 to get direct control of their portions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trust run by their parents till whatever age you think they will be responsible at.
At least mid 20s usually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top