Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2022 10:59:40 PM EDT
Primary Problem I would like to solve: Fast moving threads like the "Official Ukraine" thread provide members in the vicinity of conflict valuable information but this information gets lost with disinformation and discussion type posts.
Secondary Problem: In these fast moving threads there are a lot of posts that share videos/media equivalent "Not sure if this has been posted yet" or "didn't search the last fifty pages for this post".

Proposed solution: A thread specific ability, maybe team members only, to, in a single thread, only view posts with some kind of tagged media in a post; tweets, YouTube videos, pictures, etc. Posts that did not have tagged media would be gray barred like a user ignored post. This way a user could read other threads like normal but a particular thread that has this setting could be sifted through quickly. I would not hide text in a "tagged" media post, or hide posts that quote a post with media - I think it would be beneficial to users to see discussion around these kinds of posts.

Why I think this will work: From my viewing experience in threads with fast moving current events, the best posts (most informative posts) contain media: Pictures, video, etc., as well as the discussion around them. A setting like this would allow general discussion in a thread to continue while filtering to "the most valuable information" for users who only want to see those posts.

Weaknesses:
1. Trolls just start posting with tweets, videos etc.
Answer: Provided mods don't already have the ability - give mods the ability to view user posts by "media' posting to see if they are repeatedly posting media (tweet, image, youtube, etc.), so they can gauge if users are just posting to gain views and/or thread slide.

2. Coding is complicated.
Answer: I have some coding experience, but not a lot. I can visualize how this process would both be straight forward, or hard, depending on how the forum code is setup. I'm just not sure.

I've thought about this concept over the last several days and appreciate the feed back and I think it would work to solve the problems addressed in the first part of the post. If this is not the best way forward, I think the points I have made are still worthy of discussion and should be addressed by the Administrative team of the site and we can discuss in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
What about "Ignore User" for this thread only feature?
It's typically clear who the idiot is.

Also, a +1/-1 or up-vote feature would make threads like that really easy to filter... give the reader a filter to only display >0, +5 or +10, for example.

I realize a -1 vote is a big deal and probably never going to happen, but it would sure be nice.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I know I rarely read threads that go on and on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top