Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/27/2020 6:11:55 AM EDT
Sur Ron X. One of the best purchases i have ever made. Anyone else cruising ebikes? Lets see em!

" />
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
That bike is expensive, but nice. This thread is a tag.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That bike is expensive, but nice. This thread is a tag.
View Quote

Most fun i have had with a toy as an adult.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
How fast will it run, without the mods? I'd like to have one of those bikes equipped with good quality LED lights, and carry my back pack for a speedy trip to Walmart or the local Chinese take-out place.

Not relevant to the thread, but when I take medium-to-long walks, My backpack has a few ice packs and four of five bottles of water, sanitizing wipes, toilet paper, chewing gum, flashlights, extra cans of snuff, and other assorted goodies.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Are there any decent ones under a grand?

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How fast will it run, without the mods? I'd like to have one of those bikes equipped with good quality LED lights, and carry my back pack for a speedy trip to Walmart or the local Chinese take-out place.

Not relevant to the thread, but when I take medium-to-long walks, My backpack has a few ice packs and four of five bottles of water, sanitizing wipes, toilet paper, chewing gum, flashlights, extra cans of snuff, and other assorted goodies.
View Quote

They come locked at 35mph, but all you have to do is snip a wire to unlock it. My top speed so far has been 48 in cold weather. Im thinking i may be able to get 50mph in the summer.

There are guys hitting 90mph with contoller and battery upgrades. Its a capable motor.

I use mine for exactly the kind of things your talking about. I have the upgraded fisher fab house headlight which is great.

I got a larger sprocket, for more low end torque im excited to try, because really i dont need the top end right now, even though it is nice to have. Its pretty torqy on the low end stock however. Really the only upgrades it needs out of the box are brake pads, tires, and a beefier bash guard.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

8nBAIT
View Quote

Probably best building your own in that price range.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Can that thing pop a wheelie?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Where's the carb
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wheelies for days. Lots of guys get the sur ron just for wheelies. Im not good enough to do anything besides nice throttle wheelies, but i can get it to throttle wheelies super reliably. I have heard once i instal my large sprocket ill be able to get reliable throttle wheelies out to about 25mph. After that you need to pop and find a balance point. Again, im not an expert.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sur Ron X. One of the best purchases i have ever made. Anyone else cruising ebikes? Lets see em!

https://i.ibb.co/dLdQ4jn/zx.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/dLdQ4jn/zx.jpg
View Quote

I wanna see the school bus.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/dLdQ4jn/zx.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/dLdQ4jn/zx.jpg

Thats my future project for next summer. Used it to move across the country recently.

By this time next year it will be a fully converted schoolie.

Its a 12 window 95 international. Great motor.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wheelies for days. Lots of guys get the sur ron just for wheelies. Im not good enough to do anything besides nice throttle wheelies, but i can get it to throttle wheelies super reliably. I have heard once i instal my large sprocket ill be able to get reliable throttle wheelies out to about 25mph. After that you need to pop and find a balance point. Again, im not an expert.
View Quote

It sounds fun. I grew up riding bikes and even delayed getting my drivers license a year because I just wanted to keep riding my bike.  Moved to KC area and it's too hilly for pleasure riding. Maybe one of these electric bikes is the answer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It sounds fun. I grew up riding bikes and even delayed getting my drivers license a year because I just wanted to keep riding my bike.  Moved to KC area and it's too hilly for pleasure riding. Maybe one of these electric bikes is the answer.
View Quote

You wouldnt regret getting one. They are a blast.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be the average range on paved roads be? 185 pounds, backpack with 15-25 pounds of stuff, and my wrist puts the pedal to the metal, so to speak. I'm a wide open haul ass type of guy.

Edited to add - The Walmart would be a round trip of 14 miles.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the exercise I get with a bike, but will probably get one of these when I get older if my current range decreases.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like the exercise I get with a bike, but will probably get one of these when I get older if my current range decreases.
View Quote

Studies have shown that the vast majority of physical benefits gained from riding traditional bikes translates into ebikes. Not sure if true or not, but there have been some studies done on the topic to find.

Either way, they sure are a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What would be the average range on paved roads be? 185 pounds, backpack with 15-25 pounds of stuff, and my wrist puts the pedal to the metal, so to speak. I'm a wide open haul ass type of guy.

View Quote

I am a heavy throttle rider as well. Im getting about 25-30 miles depending on how heavy im working the throttle, and outside temps. In freeing or close to freezing temps im losing about 5 miles of distance and 5 mph on the top end. Im 155 pounds.

If you cruise it in ep mode and top out at 35mph, you should have enough range to get to your walmart and back reliably. If your slaming the throttle on a cold day, your going to be pushing it.

ETA: if your looking for a more cafe racer style that has some more range and is built specificly for road only type riding, check out the onyx.

ETA2: also consider state laws on ebikes. They all have their own rules, and the sur ron does not come stock with pedals, although you can add them. As im riding currently its a loophole.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#18]

It is awesome
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Is that a class two? Pedal assist only, or a throttle that can move the bike without pedal assist? Nice bike!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#20]
We have two LectricXP’s. They’re pretty awesome, and popular with the RV community.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We have two LectricXP’s. They’re pretty awesome, and popular with the RV community.
View Quote

Those seem to be pretty popular.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#22]
In before the haters.

We have two. My wife has had her Giant Explore for a while because she was always lagging behind. She loves it but would smoke me on the long grades. She begged me to get one.
So I finally broke down this past fall and got a Roam E.

Her plan was to do some longer trails in our travels. Since we would often have no other couple to "car spot" with or access to shuttle services, we would have to do "out and back" type rides a lot for the trail systems we would want to see in entirety. The Ebikes make it possible. They take the edge off of hills and if you had to blast back to beat weather, you could sport mode it all the way back (but use way more battery)
And ours, due to where we want to take them, have no throttle and we use them on the lowest two settings to save battery. We have to pedal to get them to do anything.

To test it out, we did a nice long ride this far from a National Forest campground in somewhat the middle of a trail. We did 93 miles in 2 days and it was great. A nice paced full cardio day out on them, as intended and saw some great scenery. The 400W battery packs on the lowest setting was impressive. Had plenty of juice for the rides using them wisely..
Since then, we've done a few 35+ milers.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In before the haters.

We have two. My wife has had her Giant Explore for a while because she was always lagging behind. She loves it but would smoke me on the long grades. She begged me to get one.
So I finally broke down this past fall and got a Roam E.

Her plan was to do some longer trails in our travels. Since we would often have no other couple to "car spot" with or access to shuttle services, we would have to do "out and back" type rides a lot for the trail systems we would want to see in entirety. The Ebikes make it possible.
And ours, due to where we want to take them, have no throttle and we use them on the lowest two settings to save battery. We have to pedal to get them to do anything.

To test it out, we did a nice long ride this far from a National Forest campground in somewhat the middle of a trail. We did 93 miles in 2 days and it was great. A nice paced full cardio day out on them, as intended and saw some great scenery.
Since then, we've done a few 35+ milers.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/130027/20201009_115536_jpg-1750298.JPG
View Quote

Awesome! Im putting 15-20 miles on mine a day right now just exploring places around town i never would have otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one that Costco sold, I can do 22 mph and it has a Samsung battery and iirc a German motor
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

8nBAIT

Hit me with some links? I was all ready to sink my time into a 3d printer but that can wait.

Edit. 2strokestrappedtobike.jpg
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have a couple of these for me and the kid
Great fun!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife flipped it up over herself hitting it full throttle from a standstill
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am a heavy throttle rider as well. Im getting about 25-30 miles depending on how heavy im working the throttle, and outside temps. In freeing or close to freezing temps im losing about 5 miles of distance and 5 mph on the top end. Im 155 pounds.

If you cruise it in ep mode and top out at 35mph, you should have enough range to get to your walmart and back reliably. If your slaming the throttle on a cold day, your going to be pushing it.

ETA: if your looking for a more cafe racer style that has some more range and is built specificly for road only type riding, check out the onyx.

ETA2: also consider state laws on ebikes. They all have their own rules, and the sur ron does not come stock with pedals, although you can add them. As im riding currently its a loophole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the info. I am very seriously thinking hard about buying myself a nice bike like that. I want that soooo badly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes but mine is bigger
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
We have a Biktrix Stunner 750 watt cadence sensor Class 2 opened up to 32mph and a Biktrix Juggernaut HD DUO 1500 watt cadence and torque sensors opened up to 35mph. They both have throttles and pedal assist
I will be 60 with a bad back and not the greatest heart. These things are a blast. I can now go out and ride bikes again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are dozens. Maybe hundreds of videos of people throttle wheeling it their first ride and then whiskey throttleing.

Its very common on the sur ron. The electronic throttle takes some adjustment to get used to.

Its become a comon thing to do to film riders take off for their first time. Its funny to watch, but the reason why no one else will ever ride my bike. The low end torque is no joke, and i cant ait to install my 64t sprocket.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#32]

I got to test drive a zero. Nice bikes!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We have a Biktrix Stunner 750 watt cadence sensor Class 2 opened up to 32mph and a Biktrix Juggernaut HD DUO 1500 watt cadence and torque sensors opened up to 35mph. They both have throttles and pedal assist
I will be 60 with a bad back and not the greatest heart. These things are a blast. I can now go out and ride bikes again.
View Quote

Awesome dude! Get it!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Studies have shown that the vast majority of physical benefits gained from riding traditional bikes translates into ebikes. Not sure if true or not, but there have been some studies done on the topic to find.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which studies, what benefits?  Honest question, that seems like an amazing claim.

The Sur Ron looks kind of neat.  I bet in 5 years they will be even more capable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Which studies, what benefits?  Honest question, that seems like an amazing claim.
View Quote

Seems to be related to ebikers actually getting out and riding more than traditional bike riders. Im sure it also depends what class of ebike your using. Mine for example has pegs, so im getting less work in the legs than people with pedal assist for example. But the idea that ebikes are cheating, or people are lazy or old on ebikes is indeed a myth. I havent dug deep enough into the topic to speak definitively on it. I just like having fun on the ebike.

These are just the first two articles that google pulled, but there are dozens of others for you to find if you wish.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a28819663/e-bike-fitness-levels-study/
https://www.newsweek.com/e-bikes-good-heart-health-study-1471604

SOme people have kne issues, some have farther distances to ride on a daily basis etc. As long as your out enjoying yourself, thats all that really matters.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Seems to be related to ebikers actually getting out and riding more than traditional bike riders. Im sure it also depends what class of ebike your using. Mine for example has pegs, so im getting less work in the legs than people with pedal assist for example. But the idea that ebikes are cheating, or people are lazy or old on ebikes is indeed a myth. I havent dug deep enough into the topic to speak definitively on it. I just like having fun on the ebike.

These are just the first two articles that google pulled, but there are dozens of others for you to find if you wish.

SOme people have kne issues, some have farther distances to ride on a daily basis etc. As long as your out enjoying yourself, thats all that really matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, that makes more sense.  For a casual rider, I can see that being the case.  I put in around 200-250 miles a week during the warmer months.  I doubt a very active rider is going to see more benefit from an e-bike.

About 4 years ago I was riding up a canyon, 7 mile ascent with a 6% grade.  Near the top, this guy on a mountain bike goes tearing past me.  I was impressed how fast he was moving.  Then I got to thinking, there is no way in hell he is generating that many watts.  On the back side of the mountain I quickly caught up to him, matched his speed and started checking out his bike.  He looked over at me and said “e bike”.  That was the first I had ever heard of them.

I think they are cool, and when my body won’t let me climb hills under my own power anymore, I will probably get one.  I think where some cyclists get annoyed is by ebike riders who log faster times on Strava on hilly segments and basically leaving it on there where no one will ever beat it, or who act like they have some kind of fitness prowess because of the advantage the electric motor gives.  If it gets an otherwise sedentary person out riding, then that is a good thing.  For me, I enjoy the work and challenge  that a good hill climb provides.  I also enjoy my 100+ miles rides on the weekends.  I’ll probably get an ebike in the future, but at 53, I am still going strong on my pedal bikes.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks, that makes more sense.  For a casual rider, I can see that being the case.  I put in around 200-250 miles a week during the warmer months.  I doubt a very active rider is going to see more benefit from an e-bike.

About 4 years ago I was riding up a canyon, 7 mile ascent with a 6% grade.  Near the top, this guy on a mountain bike goes tearing past me.  I was impressed how fast he was moving.  Then I got to thinking, there is no way in hell he is generating that many watts.  On the back side of the mountain I quickly caught up to him, matched his speed and started checking out his bike.  He looked over at me and said “e bike”.  That was the first I had ever heard of them.

I think they are cool, and when my body won’t let me climb hills under my own power anymore, I will probably get one.  I think where some cyclists get annoyed is by ebike riders who log faster times on Strava on hilly segments and basically leaving it on there where no one will ever beat it, or who act like they have some kind of fitness prowess because of the advantage the electric motor gives.  If it gets an otherwise sedentary person out riding, then that is a good thing.  For me, I enjoy the work and challenge  that a good hill climb provides.  I also enjoy my 100+ miles rides on the weekends.  I’ll probably get an ebike in the future, but at 53, I am still going strong on my pedal bikes.
View Quote

Hikers hate bikers. Bikers hate ebikers, And everyone hates horseback riders. Tis the nature of the beast on the trails. I just mind my own buisness and enjoy myself.

Outside of board games, im not hyper competitive, but i could see how that could factor into some of the animosity traditional bike riders have towards ebikers. At least its an honest answer. Most guys go to the "they are tearing up the trails" argument, which is Ludacris.

I just like to see people out enjoying themselves, especially at a time when the government wants us all inside our homes rotting away.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I would love on of those but i already have a motocross bike, a mountain bike and a pedal assist mountian bike so most of my bases are covered.  I will still probably get on anyway cause they look awesome.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone else? I wanna see em.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I want one but... Made in China.

FUCK CHINA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks fun but most of the trails ‘round he specifically say no e-bikes.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#43]
You take that off any sweet jumps?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I put one of those moped 2 cycle engines on my  Beach Cruiser

25 mph  kit is $89 on ebay
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You take that off any sweet jumps?
View Quote

Only when i have baseball cards in the spokes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hit me with some links? I was all ready to sink my time into a 3d printer but that can wait.

Edit. 2strokestrappedtobike.jpg
View Quote

I think the super73's start at about 1100

Lots of guys like em. I would check those out, just kinda depends on what your looking for.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t know if I would park a $2,000 bicycle unattended at Walmart.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don’t know if I would park a $2,000 bicycle unattended at Walmart.
View Quote

$3600. I just lock mine up with a bike lock, but im not in a very high crime area. I also have a gps tracker just in case.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#49]
This one looks pretty sweet, but at this price I could get a good used dirt bike. I like your set-up though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This one looks pretty sweet, but at this price I could get a good used dirt bike. I like your set-up though.
View Quote

You can get a New Cafe Racer for that amount.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top