Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2021 3:39:20 PM EDT
Would like to get some GNDs. "Cokin" style is what I'm after. Don't really want their filters, just don't want a round filter so I can select where and how the graduation falls.

So, what's good? Kills me to put plastic in front of my high end glass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Lee makes some nice 100x150 glass filters.  They're not cheap but they're worth it considering they're not plastic.  There are a few other brands as well.  Glass is always better.  

The other thing to find is a good filter holder that is adaptable for different lens thread sizes.  

B&H and Adorama both have nice sets and individual sets.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lee makes some nice 100x150 glass filters.  They're not cheap but they're worth it considering they're not plastic.  There are a few other brands as well.  Glass is always better.  

The other thing to find is a good filter holder that is adaptable for different lens thread sizes.  

B&H and Adorama both have nice sets and individual sets.
View Quote

I will check them out. Thanks!

I don't mind spending some money on quality glass. Already have with what's on the front of my camera.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't mind spending some money on quality glass. Already have with what's on the front of my camera.
View Quote

I'm the same.  But you'd be surprised at how cheap people will go sometimes when it comes to filters and even lenses... then they wonder why they can't get sharp images.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Lee and some others have quality glass filters. Some good YouTube videos of use and image quality.

I have a Lee filter holder and filters. Lee graduated ND filters can be obtained in gradient sets, or individually. The Lee plate holder will allow the stacking of filters to desired effect. Very versatile quality system.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a hoya ND8 8 stop filter.
looked good, color was nice.
this was shot with Canon 90D, 24-105mmL for 2.5 sec
Falls by Chris B, on Flickr

I also have a 10 stop ND for my Mamiya  C220 this shot was with Tri-X at 4 sec
Alliance falls 6-8-21-7 by Chris B, on Flickr

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Singh Ray 2-stop resin filter.  I've lugged this filter in the field for twenty years.  Unbroken.  Ostensibly, because it's not glass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The great thing about the rectangular filters is that they are all mix-and-match with the various holders.
Yes, quality does vary between the makers of the actual filters, as well as the normal glass vs plastic debates.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Lee filter system is quality, and diverse. One can easily stack a ND and polarizing filter, perhaps adding a mild warm/cool filter, too. Versatility.

There are many quality sguare/rectangular filter systems, and creative possibilities.

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I suggest a look at Breakthrough Photography. I've tried Lee, Hoya, and Haida and Breakthrough easily has the least color shift of this collection. Haida would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a Singh Ray 2-stop resin filter.  I've lugged this filter in the field for twenty years.  Unbroken.  Ostensibly, because it's not glass.
View Quote

Years ago working in a high end camera shop I had heard about them but never had used any of their products.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I suggest a look at Breakthrough Photography. I've tried Lee, Hoya, and Haida and Breakthrough easily has the least color shift of this collection. Haida would be my second choice.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2021 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's bump this topic a bit.

GND filter versus doing basically a HDR type pic in lightroom or photochop.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I tend to do it in post these days. Either HDR capture, then blend in post or expose to the right, then execute a single exposure HDR (create duplicate layer in PS, the lower the exposure on the "sky" layer, show via luminosity mask). Blown highlights in the sky ruins the single-exposure HDR option, though. Use of a tripod and three captures 2 stops apart works best for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I tend to do it in post these days. Either HDR capture, then blend in post or expose to the right, then execute a single exposure HDR (create duplicate layer in PS, the lower the exposure on the "sky" layer, show via luminosity mask). Blown highlights in the sky ruins the single-exposure HDR option, though. Use of a tripod and three captures 2 stops apart works best for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kinda where I'm leaning now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tend to do it in post these days.
My filter kit is simplified to three screw-on filters: circular polarizer, 3-stop ND, and 6-stop ND - plus step-up rings so those three filters fit all my lenses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top