Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2020 1:26:51 AM EDT
This is some bullshit going down.  It's affecting everyone.  Even here, people are tense and nasty tonight; a lot of pissiness and namecalling not in good fun.

I'm not having to deal with it where I live, not at the moment, but some of the stuff I've seen in video has been ... problematic for me.  I'm dealing with it.

You okay?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Ope.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Problematic how?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ope.
View Quote

That's an Upper Midwestern thing?  It didn't quite translate.  

I thought I'd put this thread up and see what happened.  I know we're all rocks, all the time, no problems, nope, but I have a small home repair to make that clued me in.  I threw a fork through my drywall about an hour after seeing the initial Floyd video.  And with Newark in my memory bank, tonight ain't helping.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:44:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Problematic how?
View Quote

There's a personal history that isn't going to get laid out here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
No post-traumatic stress, maybe some pre-, though.  It's getting froggy out there, starting to worry about the forces taking advantage of the situation.

Not much to do at this point (at this area, anyway) but try to get some sleep.

You OK, OP?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep. Basically I was saying that if this sorta thing is causing PTSD then that bar is pretty low. The smiley face was to mean that I’m not trying to be a dick about it though. I wish everyone well. And the bars are open here so today I’m just enjoying myself.

There are a few protests in Green Bay, Appleton, I assume Milwaukee, and definitely Madison, but the rest of us are just living life again.

I’m friends with about 15 cops in half a dozen states from Wisco to Louisiana (I am not LEO)  and everyone of them have told me not to trust a cop if I don’t know them personally. Also I’ve been personally  screwed by the FBI when working with those guys professionally.

(My criminal record is exactly two parking tickets, one seatbelt ticket, and two speeding tickets in twenty years). I have my own mostly not good things to say about LEOs so I generally just don’t bother to chime in.

Yep, I believe that cop in this case deserves to be charged with murder. But the average person getting PTSD over that and these riots? Nah, bro. It’s been a slow roll accelerating down hill for awhile now. It’s not like we didn’t know this shit wasn’t coming. Just wait until the next democrat president.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:03:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No post-traumatic stress, maybe some pre-, though.  It's getting froggy out there, starting to worry about the forces taking advantage of the situation.

Not much to do at this point (at this area, anyway) but try to get some sleep.

You OK, OP?
View Quote

I am, and thanks for asking.  It caught me by surprise, and I am monitoring myself.  Honestly I figured the chances of me being the only one here dealing with that issue was zero, so I started the thread.  If people don't reply, that's okay.

I spent the day in the garden, which is effective for me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep. Basically I was saying that if this sorta thing is causing PTSD then that bar is pretty low. The smiley face was to mean that I’m not trying to be a dick about it though. I wish everyone well. And the bars are open here so today I’m just enjoying myself.

There are a few protests in Green Bay, Appleton, I assume Milwaukee, and definitely Madison, but the rest of us are just living life again.

I’m friends with about 15 cops in half a dozen states from Wisco to Louisiana (I am not LEO)  and everyone of them have told me not to trust a cop if I don’t know them personally. Also I’ve been personally  screwed by the FBI when working with those guys professionally.

(My criminal record is exactly two parking tickets, one seatbelt ticket, and two speeding tickets in twenty years). I have my own mostly not good things to say about LEOs so I generally just don’t bother to chime in.

Yep, I believe that cop in this case deserves to be charged with murder. But the average person getting PTSD over that and these riots? Nah, bro. It’s been a slow roll accelerating down hill for awhile now. It’s not like we didn’t know this shit wasn’t coming. Just wait until the next democrat president.
View Quote

No, I did not say I got PTSD from watching a video.  Do you understand that people with PTSD find themselves occasionally confronted with things that bring back the problems?  (It's not an anticop issue either, BTW.  Just to be clear, since you went down that road.)
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:12:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Understood. My apologies. Not trying to be a dick. Guess I stepped in it. Best wishes OP.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:15:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Understood. My apologies. Not trying to be a dick. Guess I stepped in it. Best wishes OP.
View Quote

No worries. "Someone misunderstands a post -- stop the presses!"
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The Editor Wars have been tough on everyone. Know that I'll shank an emacs-using punk bitch for you any time, OP.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL so many nancy boys today.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:41:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Editor Wars have been tough on everyone. Know that I'll shank an emacs-using punk bitch for you any time, OP.
View Quote

emacs is punishment enough
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a little PTSD lingering from the past couple of years of things not going well.
11 people I know died 4 of them my closest relatives and I got to watch 2 teenagers burn up in a car fire.
I did not get them out in time...

But this civil unrest shit has absolutely no Bering on it whatsoever !
I watched that idiot get dragged to death by the Fedx truck, commented to myself..he choose poorly and made another bourbon and coke !

If this Shit is triggering your PTSD you should really stay in the basement and take your meds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a little PTSD lingering from the past couple of years of things not going well.
11 people I know died 4 of them my closest relatives and I got to watch 2 teenagers burn up in a car fire.

I watched that idiot get dragged to death by the Fedx truck, commented to myself..he choose poorly and made another bourbon and coke !

If this Shit is triggering your PTSD you should really stay in the basement and take your meds.

Wow, rough crowd.  I wouldn't have expected that in a thread with a title like this one.  I'm tempted to ask, Why the fuck do you think you know anything about my PTSD or what it's from? but there's no interest in me -- none -- to spill this shit out here to justify myself against a couple ignorant posters.

Not appreciated.  I started the thread thinking there had to be others dealing with the same problem, and I get classy comments like these?  Grade A asshole behavior.  Since we're sharing opinions.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

If only they were smooth criminals
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
PTSD is what the fat black girl in S1 has when the new SGM realizes she hasn't taken a PT test or been taped in 4 years.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wow, rough crowd.  I wouldn't have expected that in a thread with a title like this one.  I'm tempted to ask, Why the fuck do you think you know anything about my PTSD or what it's from? but there's no interest in me -- none -- to spill this shit out here to justify myself against a couple ignorant posters.

Not appreciated.  I started the thread thinking there had to be others dealing with the same problem, and I get classy comments like these?  Grade A asshole behavior.  Since we're sharing opinions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah that guy should be a VA medical doctor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
PTSD sufferers are not nancy-boys, they are just reacting normally to traumatic experiences. It's the ones who aren't bothered by trauma and death that you have to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
hope you can keep it on the level OP

I have maybe a shadow of a glimmer of what you are going through from some health problems a couple of years ago

when it gets triggered I'm back there all over again and it takes a bit to shake out of it

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Thay sounds more like an anger managment thing hoss. Get off the computer for a while and go outside.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#22]
You need to hang out  bro? Get yer mind off of shit and whatnot.

ETA being serious dude
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Limit your exposure to the things (sights, sounds, etc.) that upset you.  Then, develop coping skills to mitigate your emotions when you are.

Unplug and go outside.  Go work out or go for a walk/run. Call someone who's BTDT and talk it out.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
PTSD is very real.  You do not go unscathed through hard times.  Yes you get hardened over it, but you develop scars.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd like to get out of the house today, but between coronazombies and now this I'm just not feeling it.

Cleaning house and curious George it is.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct. No one here has a clue about your PTSD. Other than you seeking input with zero explanation on the very subject you asked about in the most vague way possible.
If you are not going to give details when crying out for attention or help then why the hell even post this nonsense ? Your rant is weak. BTW..the substance of your post, not the title.

Are you being directly affected by any of the rioters ? Are they banging on your door ? Did they wreck your business ? So much info for us to guess at ?
I gave a brief synopsis of what my PTSD started from. Without it there is no context to the conversation.

My PTSD is my problem. Your PTSD is yours. It affects everyone a bit differently.
So..Yes, I find it odd the seemingly benign things that sometimes trigger an unexpected or unwanted emotion.
It sucks. I kick myself in the ass every time, saying to myself,. Suck it up buttercup and wonder why., but I know why !

Because that is the nature of PTSD !  

The only person to get you through it is you. You have to understand it and come to grips with those demons.
No amount of Liberal, mental health, couch talking bullshit and coddling will trigger you into an instant cure.
It comes over time and “you” Understanding and embracing the the events that got you to where you are.
Best wishes on your recovery. I’m out.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

WTF is going on?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

WTF is going on?
View Quote

The continued destruction of the masculine ideal.  The left wants every man to be the beta man-bun sporting Starbucks employee.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The continued destruction of the masculine ideal.  The left wants every man to be the beta man-bun sporting Starbucks employee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is going on?

PTSD has nothing to do with masculinity (or lack there of) nor personal mental fortitude.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I think the term PTSD is a bit overused. I think in modern uses it is used as a catch all for various bad things combined, including general every day level stress, which cheapens true cases of PTSD.

Based on a show I saw 10+ years ago, I've always assumed true PTSD as being related to deadly and dangerous situations, and in most cases it is actually the results of multiple extremely stressful things going on in various combinations, such as:

1) Seeing your buddies getting killed and wounded before your eyes
2) Spending long periods of time constantly on edge due to the possibility of deadly ambush
3) Killing people
4) Nearly getting killed yourself (the latter I do have some limited experience with due to car accidents, and it can shake you up for a few days, I do know that for sure...didn't give me permanent anxiety though...so I always imagined true PTSD as that, only worse, permanently.)

These things are not the same as people claiming to get "PTSD" from reading twitter comments or seeing a Meme.

ETA::Honestly, I can see things on the news triggering PTSD in people who have it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Be happy you only watch it on TV and aren't on the ground like those husband/wife hardware store owners in Rochester, NY.

If you don't like it, shut it off and find something happier or constructive to do.  Go build something.  Honey-do's.   Clean up.  Garden.  Walk the dog.

As individuals, we can't do much to change the world, but we can change ourselves and by doing so, hope others will emulate you.  Even if no one does, you go before the creator with clean hands.

I used to caution people against watching too much TV.  It's designed to manipulate people and for the rioters, it's working.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know quarantine PTSD.

This is my only family experience with combat PTSD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I had a reply typed that my browser ate.  Probably just as well.

Right, so a couple of you decided this must be some kind of BS/snowflake/"I have a hangnail" wannabe thing.  Well, fuck you.  It's not.

You don't get the gory details.  Why anyone would expect details of the most painful stuff in my life to be thrown out onto the GD table for random jackasses -- and they are among us -- to poke and cluck at is beyond me.

I'm alive; I have no plans to change that; I'm dealing with it.  A couple of you--  Tell you what, next time someone starts a PTSD thread, just leave it alone if that's your best.

Out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Ya seen much combat?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think the term PTSD is a bit overused. I think in modern uses it is used as a catch all for various bad things combined, including general every day level stress, which cheapens true cases of PTSD.

Based on a show I saw 10+ years ago, I've always assumed true PTSD as being related to deadly and dangerous situations, and in most cases it is actually the results of multiple extremely stressful things going on in various combinations, such as:

1) Seeing your buddies getting killed and wounded before your eyes
2) Spending long periods of time constantly on edge due to the possibility of deadly ambush
3) Killing people
4) Nearly getting killed yourself (the latter I do have some limited experience with due to car accidents, and it can shake you up for a few days, I do know that for sure...didn't give me permanent anxiety though...so I always imagined true PTSD as that, only worse, permanently.)

These things are not the same as people claiming to get "PTSD" from reading twitter comments or seeing a Meme.

ETA::Honestly, I can see things on the news triggering PTSD in people who have it.
View Quote

The trigger with the most potency is smell.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Hope everyone down has that extra to keep going. Me....Im always stressed out and depressed. I get in a good moods like normal people get in bad moods. I've tried my whole life to get better....but waisted a lifetime because I'm miserable.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hope everyone down has that extra to keep going. Me....Im always stressed out and depressed. I get in a good moods like normal people get in bad moods. I've tried my whole life to get better....but waisted a lifetime because I'm miserable.

View Quote

Please try to reach out for help.  Medication and counseling, or whatever works for you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top