Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 1/9/2022 4:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void]

This thread is going to run for months, if not years.

I'm going to ramble a bit to give the history behind this thing......
My grandfather had a 1972 Chevy C10 shortbed, 3 on the floor, headers into cherry bombs that dumped right behind the cab.  My dad's parents lived on the same property as me and my parents.  Us on one side of the hill, them on the other.  Many winter mornings I'd sit in this truck waiting for the bus when I was really little.  If I was lucky, we'd run down to Maria's corner shop to get donuts or chocolate milk beforehand.  Before he went full time with his own business, he worked second shift.  I'd spend the night at my grandparents laying awake waiting for him to get home, I'd hear this truck burbling, gurgling, and popping as he slowed down the hill.  A few years later my parents got divorced, I was 7 or 8.  For some reason the night my mom cleaned out the house and took me to her parent's house, my dad drove this truck to work.  I guess his was broke down or some shit, I don't know.  I'll never forget hearing this truck roaring down the road seconds before my dad kicked down my grandparent's front door.  There was a stop sign maybe an 1/8 mile away from their house, boy did this thing scream pulling out.  A second after kicking in the door my dad collapsed into my grandfather's (my mom's dad) arms crying his eyes out.  That grandfather was a Marine staff sergeant, a man everyone loves and respects.  

Anywho, fast forward a few years, my mom moves half way across the country and takes me with her.  I spend the summers with my dad, well, a little bit of the summer.  The summer I'm 13-14 my dad and I decide to start working on the C10.  It had sat for a few years at this point.  We wanted to fix it up a bit and make it my first vehicle.  I go all in instantly.  I strip the truck down to the chassis, sand blast everything, and start painting it all.  My summer with dad is over and I have to go back with my mom.  A few months later I find out my dad fucking sold it.  I don't know what the circumstances were, but I was devastated.  

Fast forward 19 years, my half brother finds the truck.  He has zero memories of it.  He wasn't even born when my dad sold it.  He buys it.  Let me frame this for you guys, I adore my brother.  He is one hell of a kid and is going to be a hell of a man.  He is extremely talented and that is an under statement.  I'd put any amount of money that he can tig weld anything better than anyone on arfcom, period, the end.  However, his mom, my stepmom, I tolerate only for him and my dad.  She has driven a massive wedge between me and my dad, and between my kids and my dad.  She despises my grandfather and wishes death on him.  She basically does her damndest to convince my dad that I'm not his kid, only my brother is.  Anyhow, between my dad and brother finding the truck and buying it, it stung bad considering how my dad essentially went "lol fuck you" and sold it away from me.  I voiced my opinion about the purchase.  I straight said "I'm happy for you guys, but that stings, that was supposed to be OUR project."  My dad instantly responded, "oh, that's okay, after we fix it up you can buy it from us, but it won't be cheap".  I said fuck you and hung up.  

I explained to my brother that I have no ill-will towards him over this, he couldn't have known the back story.  I explained the back story.  My wife told him too at one point when we were hanging out.  Fast forward a year and my brother asks if I want to buy the truck.  I respond with a resounding FUCK YES.  He did a bunch of body work and patch panels, put a rebuilt engine in it, etc. etc.  This was about two weeks ago.  I have been ecstatic as all hell ever since.  

When my dad and I started restoring this, in his infinite wisdom, he convinced me to toss the bed because it had some rust and it would be easy to replace.  LOL.  A shortbed C10 easy to replace?  Not in a million years - but this was 20 years ago.  These beds are as good as gold now.  So since the truck is going to be mine and doesn't have a bed, I started poking on FB marketplace.  Well wouldn't you know it, I found a dude right down the road selling a '72 C10 shortbed that was in pieces.  I see a picture of the bed buried in the woods covered in shit.  I messaged him and said if it's solid enough to lift in one piece, I'll give you $500 for it.  He said he didn't want to part it, I said I don't care, I don't want the rest of the truck only the bed.  Well, I wound up getting a pristine (for the condition of most) 67-72 C10 short bed.  I could sell this bed within a week for $5k.

Anyhow............

The truck is still with my brother.  The bed is in my garage.  The bed will go up to my brother's for some patch panels and welding.  We'll throw it on the truck, then the whole shooting match will come to my house.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The truck after my brother got it fired up.
Attachment Attached File

And I give you the crowning jewel to this OP.  My dopey 13-14 year old ass with the truck.  All the sand on the ground is from me sandblasting.  I swear to god I don't look anything like this anymore
Attachment Attached File

Edit -

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
In on this
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
In. Used to have the 4x4 version. Mine was also fleetside, which was cool because it seemed most 4x4s were of the gay-assed stepside variety. It was orange with the top portion of the cab painted white.

Looking forward to the progress on this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations on buying the truck.  I hope everything works out and the project turns out even better than you could hope for
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DetrhoytMAK:
In. Used to have the 4x4 version. Mine was also fleetside, which was cool because it seemed most 4x4s were of the gay-assed stepside variety. It was orange with the top portion of the cab painted white.

Looking forward to the progress on this.
View Quote

I don't mind the step sides.  If I didn't find this bed, I'd likely build a step side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag.
Build threads are awesome
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ch3no2:
Tag.
View Quote

This is going to be one long lasting thread lol

I'm hoping to have it on the road by summer.  God only knows when I'll stop restoring it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If that boat motor doesn’t work out, there’s always this
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

I'm hoping to have it on the road by summer.  God only knows when I'll stop restoring it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Tag.

I started restoring/building my hotrod in the late-90s.  Still not done.
Let’s just say it’s an ongoing project
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

You don't want to know what I'd do if I put an engine in it....

4g63 with a big turbo.  Why?  Because everyone else has a V8.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvroundman] [#11]
In the mid 80's I had a Dark Yellow 72 step side short bed my dad bought new.  Sold it far too cheap a few years later. Love to have another.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
headers into cherry bombs that dumped right behind the cab.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Eh.  4-bangers arent my thing, but whatever floats your boat
That’s the cool thing about builds, it’s YOUR build.
You can do whatever YOU want.

At least it isn’t yet another LS swap
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
OST
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif
View All Quotes

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif

They aren't mine either.  But I respect the shit out of a block you can throw 40 pounds of boost at and it laughs
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:19:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#18]

They aren't mine either.  But I respect the shit out of a block you can throw 40 pounds of boost at and it laughs
View Quote

The LS are popular because they are good and relatively inexpensive. I get the I want to be different but they flat out work and everything is available for them. Though you know this. Sometimes it just isn't worth doing something off the wall just because its different when you can toss a $500 LS in and be running.  

That truck needs a vortec big block though with a big roller cam intake and carb.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Put the new turbo truck motor in it!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
IN! Had a '72 in the late '80s. C10 somebody put a 283 in TH350.  Nice truck, wish it had the stock 350.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]
First engine I ever rebuilt was from one of them
Same year but white
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#22]
My old 71 c10 that I was restoring was one of my most prized possessions.

If my kids love me, before I die, they’ll find that truck and gift it to me.

But they don’t.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]
If that boat motor doesn't work out, there's always this
View Quote
This is the way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
OST
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Congratulations on the truck and getting the bed for it!
Look forward to the build!
You are going to store it in that garage right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Congratulations
I hope it goes well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Sweet!  Glad you're doing it.

Subbed
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 2sledgehammers:
Congratulations on the truck and getting the bed for it!
Look forward to the build!
You are going to store it in that garage right?
View Quote

Yes.

On paper I have 26" to spare.  I hope to fuck that's accurate.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm glad you decided to take this on.
I was hoping you would after your original thread on this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagarooski
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I was going to immediately bail out of this thread if that truck was a step-side.

Thankfully it's not and I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep it original as possible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like an awesome project, OP. My favorite body style of truck, period.

I had a '70 GMC Sierra Grande. Grew up in that truck riding around with Grandpa, and inherited it when he passed away back in 1997. He bought it new. I'd give about anything to have that old truck back (him too), but some punk, driving entirely too fast on black ice, hit me, and sent it to the scrapyard. Other than the paint, which wasn't bad, it was just about flawless, and ran all out of proportion to what I though it would, having a plain ol' stock 350 under the hood. The bed floor was wood, and it even had the tach in the dash, which I guess is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#35]
The bed and cab look like a solid starting point, in on epic thread potential
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#36]
i had several of these tucks. the glass looks good, every windshield i ever had was foggy down near the bottom corners. i also had a 69 gmc with a 305 v6 engine. very powerful engine. good luck on your restoration
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I hope "restore" means install turbo LS
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I hope "restore" means install turbo LS
View Quote

Nope, its going to be a Honda K20 with a Turbo

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#41]
In!
Dad had a 68 SWB with a 307 that was dark blue. The 307 ran strong but drank oil like a fish. It never leaked or smoked, just used oil.

It will be fun to see where you go with this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Awesome project. Can’t wait to watch this restoration
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I approve of this project. Stay the course.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#44]
No way you are 13 in that pic. Looks more like 40. Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#45]
In MFers
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
No way you are 13 in that pic. Looks more like 40. Seriously.
View Quote

Glad I’m not the only one that noticed that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice! My buddy sold his Skyline and bought this last year

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Let's restore it.
It will be quick and easy.

Famous last words.

Congrats and good luck, OP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File
I've had this one about 10 years now.  Replaced the oil burning 307 for a stout 355. 72 is peak pickup.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#50]
That was my first truck when I was 16. It was my papas truck. Wished I still had it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top