Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2018 11:11:54 PM EDT
I'm one of the far too few adults who are under 21 and are looking to exercise their 2nd amendment rights; both to the full extent of the law and within my own personal financial limits. However, I've run into a bit of a snafu while trying to do so; particularly with my attempts at building an AR. Until I attempted to pick up the lower receiver I had ordered online at my local FFL dealer, I was under the impression that 5.56/.223 receivers were basically classified the same as rifles by the ATF. I was soon dishearteningly informed about AR pistols and the ATF's magical "other" firearms category. I was not sold the receiver due to my age and was back at square one with my attempt at an AR build. Despite the setback, my desire to build has only grown and I'm trying to weigh all my current options. The three I see in front of me at the moment are as follows:

1. Wait until I'm 21 (least desirable)
2. Have someone over 21 purchase a lower receiver and then gift it to me
3. Acquire a receiver through private sale (legal within my home state of Michigan)

Considering I am not a prohibited person with regards to firearm ownership, all of these are legitimate ways I can acquire a receiver (21 is the legal age to purchase through a dealer, not the legal age of possession); my question is are there other ways of legally acquiring a receiver under 21 that I'm leaving out/unaware of? Can FFLs sell receivers as rifles to those 18-20 if the buyer is intending to use the receiver in question to build a rifle (similar to FFLs being able to sell "pistol caliber ammunition" to those 18-20 if the buyer intends to use the ammunition in a carbine rifle chambered for a "pistol round")?
These laws are unconstitutional and pretty fucking annoying as they deprive adults 18-20 of their right to bear arms, but I have to deal with them to stay out of the klink.

Any advice, help, tips, experience, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a rifle?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just buy a rifle?
View Quote
I want to build a rifle for the same reason why I build my own PCs. Sure, I could just buy what someone else already built, but I want to spend MY money making MY property up to MY standards and specifications.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like by Michigan law you're gtg. http://city-chelsea.org/Portals/0/Website%20Content/Police/Gun%20Permit%20FAQ.pdf

Federal law: https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/may-individual-between-ages-18-and-21-years-age-acquire-handgun-unlicensed

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You can own one through a private party sale or as a gift.   I believe what's off limits is a sale that involves a transfer through an FFL.  Sorry, the gun show loophole is a Democrat myth.  

Somebody could assemble an ar on a lower receiver into a rifle and sell you that through an FFL.  You could then sell them back their other parts at a later date.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Been there with MN law. I got a permit to purchase in this state when I turned 18 even though the FFLs said "it was a mistake" when I went to buy receivers. I always had difficult times.

Your only other option would be to buy an 80 and get to work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been there with MN law. I got a permit to purchase in this state when I turned 18 even though the FFLs said "it was a mistake" when I went to buy receivers. I always had difficult times.

Your only other option would be to buy an 80 and get to work.
View Quote
Been looking into this as well ever since I was turned away from the FFL. Any experience with milling an 80% lower?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Been looking into this as well ever since I was turned away from the FFL. Any experience with milling an 80% lower?
View Quote
If you do an 80%.. Buy a 5d tactical jig. It is worth the extra money. You can always re-sell it for near purchase price too when your done.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy an 80% lower and a jig.  Make it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You can legally buy one, you just can't buy it through an FFL, you will have to purchase one in a FTF private sale or buy an 80% and finish it yourself, the law is pretty clear on this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy an Oem rifle from ap or bcm and put your own stock, and handguard on it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#12]
80% or buy a rifle (to include the furniture less ARs) and modify it to what you want. Sell off any unused/unwanted parts.

Honestly unless you want to dive hard into the 80% Game just buy the rifle. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I came in to mention 80% builds, but that's kinda been covered already.

I would check the EE for a receiver in your state.  Alternatively, buy a whole rifle, strip it and sell the extra parts off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#14]
If I was <21, I would be working on my 80% collection of ARs and Polymer80s.

Get the 5D jig and thank me later.

https://www.5dtactical.com/ar-15-80-lower-jig-p/5d-jig15.htm
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can legally buy one, you just can't buy it through an FFL, you will have to purchase one in a FTF private sale or buy an 80% and finish it yourself, the law is pretty clear on this.
View Quote
And it is Federal law.
As in BATFE.

An actual FFL can ONLY sell a 'long gun' (rifle or shotgun) to anyone under 21.

A lower is an "other" and NOT a long gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And it is Federal law.
As in BATFE.

View Quote
No shit Sherlock

I sell a few of them each year and have had to explain it more than once or twice to those under 21

I am mainly a manufacture of products(FFL7/SOT), but I do sell a few guns and lowers each year
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm 19 and my Mom has gifted me all of my handguns and receivers. To me that is the easiest way of going about it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm 19 and my Mom has gifted me all of my handguns and receivers. To me that is the easiest way of going about it.
View Quote
A person can buy a gun or a receiver as a legitimate gift as long as the person they give the gift to is not a prohibited person or they have no knowledge of them being prohibited, I have sold lowers to a groom that was having them engraved and gave them to his groomsmen.

Lots of gun are purchased for Christmas and Birthday presents every year.

This is addressed in the instructions for line 11 on the form 4473
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No shit Sherlock

I sell a few of them each year and have had to explain it more than once or twice to those under 21

I am mainly a manufacture of products(FFL7/SOT), but I do sell a few guns and lowers each year
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it is Federal law.
As in BATFE.

No shit Sherlock

A-hole dave:

It is NOT a Michigan law or rule.
At least one reply above.

It is because BATFE finally read the damn law that directed them what to do.

It also led to the 'change' on Shotgun actions with a PG.
They are not "long guns."

By selling them with a stock AND a PG they ARE long guns.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A-hole dave:

It is NOT a Michigan law or rule.
At least one reply above.

It is because BATFE finally read the damn law that directed them what to do.

It also led to the 'change' on Shotgun actions with a PG.
They are not "long guns."

By selling them with a stock AND a PG they ARE long guns.
View Quote
Well what ever you think of me, does not matter, he has not been back so he must of found what he was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I would just buy an oem rifle and do a build on it that or plunge for the 5d jig. At least you don't live in Florida so you at least still buy long arms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top