Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2018 11:11:23 PM EDT
Posted in the Build It forum; redirected here.

I'm one of the far too few adults who are under 21 and are looking to exercise their 2nd amendment rights; both to the full extent of the law and within my own personal financial limits. However, I've run into a bit of a snafu while trying to do so; particularly with my attempts at building an AR. Until I attempted to pick up the lower receiver I had ordered online at my local FFL dealer, I was under the impression that 5.56/.223 receivers were basically classified the same as rifles by the ATF. I was soon dishearteningly informed about AR pistols and the ATF's magical "other" firearms category. I was not sold the receiver due to my age and was back at square one with my attempt at an AR build. Despite the setback, my desire to build has only grown and I'm trying to weigh all my current options. The three I see in front of me at the moment are as follows:

1. Wait until I'm 21 (least desirable)
2. Have someone over 21 purchase a lower receiver and then gift it to me
3. Acquire a receiver through private sale (legal within my home state of Michigan)

Considering I am not a prohibited person with regards to firearm ownership, all of these are legitimate ways I can acquire a receiver (21 is the legal age to purchase through a dealer, not the legal age of possession); my question is are there other ways of legally acquiring a receiver under 21 that I'm leaving out/unaware of? Can FFLs sell receivers as rifles to those 18-20 if the buyer is intending to use the receiver in question to build a rifle (similar to FFLs being able to sell "pistol caliber ammunition" to those 18-20 if the buyer intends to use the ammunition in a carbine rifle chambered for a "pistol round")?
These laws are unconstitutional and pretty fucking annoying as they deprive adults 18-20 of their right to bear arms, but I have to deal with them to stay out of the klink.

Any advice, help, tips, experience, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:Can FFLs sell receivers as rifles to those 18-20 if the buyer is intending to use the receiver in question to build a rifle (similar to FFLs being able to sell "pistol caliber ammunition" to those 18-20 if the buyer intends to use the ammunition in a carbine rifle chambered for a "pistol round")?

No.

There is no legal way for you to acquire a lower from a licenced dealer other than to buy a complete factory rifle and take it to parts.

Other than the three options you list, another would be to make or finish your own lower, such as from an 80%.  Otherwise you about have it covered.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
In case you didn't notice, they moved your previous thread here and people have been commenting on it already.  We don't need two threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top