Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2020 1:27:54 PM EDT
Anyone else read these? I am reading them for a second time and love this series.

Its a great series centered on an alien invasion of earth by a nearly unstoppable hoard. This is some great military sci-fi set in today's world with our modern military.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Who hasn't?

One of Ringo's hombres is a member, too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes several times.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Great book series, if you have not read "Watch on the Rhine" and "Holy War" that go along with them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes several times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
All Ringos stuff is good.
Read them all,some I listen to from Audible for long commute.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great book series, if you have not read "Watch on the Rhine" and "Holy War" that go along with them.
View Quote

I love Watch on the Rhine, but need to check out Holy War.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chronologically, are Watch on the Rhine and Holy War after Gust Front?
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

More parallel, although I don't know anything about a book called Holy War.  

The first four books are one story arc, he had publicly announced that he was done with that universe for at least a decade when he turned in the fourth book, fan clamor resulted in the coauthored books.  Yellow Eyes, Watch on the Rhine, and The Tuloriad run in parallel to those first four.  The Cally trilogy is several decades later, primarily following Cally O'Neil and expanding the story of the Bane Sidhe.  John barely salvaged Honor of the Clan after my ex went nuts while writing it, he didn't have time to really clean it up, so there are some continuity gaps if you know what to look for (that also coincided with our divorce).  For a novel that was supposed to be 120-140k words, he wound up deleting 85k of emo drivel (and the publisher had multiple editors look at it and confirmed that he wasn't just being pissy, it really was that bad, part of why it's unlikely she'll ever write for them again, even if she does have a ten year old outstanding contract).  Eye of the Storm follows fairly closely on the end of the Cally trilogy, and is supposed to be the start of a final trilogy, but John wrote himself into a corner, he tends to get rolling along writing and doesn't slow down to make sure he doesn't go too far in a book.  I also think part of why he can't finish that trilogy is he's got more story than will fit in just two books, but it can be very difficult to guide him into finishing something.  It's very easy to disrupt his writing mood and throw him off for weeks or months, I've seen it happen multiple times over the years; he'll be rocking along, excited about a story, go to start writing it, and someone shows up at the wrong time, his wife gets sick, cat dies, etc, and he loses whatever momentum and almost gets a block from finishing whatever story he was working on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first four books are one story arc, he had publicly announced that he was done with that universe for at least a decade when he turned in the fourth book, fan clamor resulted in the coauthored books.  Yellow Eyes, Watch on the Rhine, and The Tuloriad run in parallel to those first four.  The Cally trilogy is several decades later, primarily following Cally O'Neil and expanding the story of the Bane Sidhe.  John barely salvaged Honor of the Clan after my ex went nuts while writing it, he didn't have time to really clean it up, so there are some continuity gaps if you know what to look for (that also coincided with our divorce).  For a novel that was supposed to be 120-140k words, he wound up deleting 85k of emo drivel (and the publisher had multiple editors look at it and confirmed that he wasn't just being pissy, it really was that bad, part of why it's unlikely she'll ever write for them again, even if she does have a ten year old outstanding contract).  Eye of the Storm follows fairly closely on the end of the Cally trilogy, and is supposed to be the start of a final trilogy, but John wrote himself into a corner, he tends to get rolling along writing and doesn't slow down to make sure he doesn't go too far in a book.  I also think part of why he can't finish that trilogy is he's got more story than will fit in just two books, but it can be very difficult to guide him into finishing something.  It's very easy to disrupt his writing mood and throw him off for weeks or months, I've seen it happen multiple times over the years; he'll be rocking along, excited about a story, go to start writing it, and someone shows up at the wrong time, his wife gets sick, cat dies, etc, and he loses whatever momentum and almost gets a block from finishing whatever story he was working on.

I think John did the same thing with the Troy books.

Holy War is a semi canon fan fict that takes place in the  Middle East during the Posleen invasion.   It's free online.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, your ex is available?
Come on, it’s obvious that the writer of the Cally trilogy has got to be a blast.
And borderline, if you’re a glass half empty kind of guy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Go for it.  She's got full on TDS and appears to support BLM.  Did I mention that she's bipolar and that her meds quitting working was a large part of our divorce?
View Quote

I was just joking.

Your descriptions are classic for many I have known with a great marriage and then, BOOM!, and the fun tip of the borderline or bipolar iceberg is replaced with the larger, bad, deep side.

For the love of god please understand it was all in jest.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top