Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 5/18/2020 11:09:07 PM EDT
Adopting a Rottie pup here soon.
Mom is 85#
Dad is approaching brute size at 125#
After some reviews, purchased a Ray Allen evolution collar.  
Now I’m shopping for a decent lead.
ThisIs what I’m leaning toward, technically the dual layered model.
Just wondering if there are any recommendations for something else?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The most important leash, and the first leash, any dog and handler should have, it the standard 6ft, 1/2", leather obedience training lead.

https://www.rayallen.com/catalog/product/view/id/13291/s/standard-obedience-leash-black-6-12/category/280/

This type of lead gives you the sensitivity and control no other lead does, and provides the least amount of unwanted leash cues to the dog when there is no leash pressure.

Yeah, the nylon is bad-ass and tacti-cool and all that, but you can handle any dog with a leather training lead. As the owner of three 100lb Akitas I can assure you of that.

However, if all you want to do is restrain your dog, by all means get the nylon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Makes sense.
I plan on the possibility of correction hits with a prong collar, plus choking up on the lead seems like it would be easier with leather than wider double layered nylon.
Changed order to This with help from Ray Allen customer service.
They were very helpful btw
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a heavier lead than I prefer, but it's a better choice than the nylon.

If you are going to use a prong (no surprise there), I'd recommend you add a simple slip collar and pick up the ring on the slip collar with the same leash. That way if the prong should come apart (it happens more often than you might think) you've got that slip collar acting as a backup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I read about that somewhere and your post just sealed the deal.
Definitely getting one.

ETA
I take it you like running both collars on the same attachment point of the leash OR running prong straight to leash, buying a small extension, running that off slip collar to the leash?
I tend to over complicate things in my head.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rhombeus:I take it you like running both collars on the same attachment point of the leash...?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rhombeus:I take it you like running both collars on the same attachment point of the leash...?
^^^ this.

I like things to be as simple and slick as possible. So I avoid the crazy leashes with two clips, and the slip collars with fancy attachments or hooks, and the leashes with 4 handles, and super heavy collars, and super heavy leashes. Harnesses of any type are right out. Halti's and the like are from the devil!

The ultimate goal is to get to flat collar, off-lead obedience. If your dog is jocked up with all kinds of crap it's going to be harder to get there. Dogs are very situational. If they know "when I'm wearing this I have to work/behave" that doesn't help you get there.

The one thing I won't do is let my dog go anywhere without identification. So I will run a flat collar, prong and slip. The dog won't even notice the slip. As your training progresses you can switch the lead back and forth between the flat and prong, and ultimately dispense with the prong.

Also, I prefer a medium prong with more links instead of a large size prong with fewer links. More pinch per inch!

Finally, with the breed we are talking about here, if you find your dog needs a prong as a puppy don't be afraid of buying a mini-prong collar. Some pups need them and respond well to them (some don't--all dogs are different). My current male Akita sure needed one! He was hanging himself from a flat collar from day one, and almost hurt himself. I know you don't need to hear this, but prongs are the safest collar you can put on. So many large, powerful breeds with neck and throat injuries from flat and choke collars! Harnesses are safe, too, but they force restraint, they don't teach obedience, and you'll never get off-lead that way.

I tend to over complicate things in my head.
No worries about over-complicating things. There are so many gadgets in the dog training world that's easy to do. Leerburg, Ray Allen, etc., all carry the good stuff, but they also carry a lot of "money transfer devices". Keep it simple.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m tracking.
Thanks dude
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Adopting a Rottie pup here soon.
Mom is 85#
Dad is approaching brute size at 125#
?
View Quote

The mom sounds pretty puny for a Rottie. Between my Dobergirls the leaner one is right at 100lbs and her fat ass sister is 85lbs...
Muscle really does weigh more than fat.

Both are a good bit bigger than their dad. Last time I took them to the Vet and their dad was up there hanging out - He looked like the female out of the bunch 'size wise'. LOL!

Been using these for years now and love them. Usually clip a dog to each end and hold near the middle.

Have never personally had a herm sprenger pinch collar come apart, break or wear out on me. Pretty sure the ones I have now will still be used by someone long after my ass is gone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
ETA
Removed. Not my picture, shouldn’t be posting
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what I use.

Kong Xtra large
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Retractable leashes, often called a "Flexi" after the first brand of them to hit the market, are unsuitable for training and dangerous to use with large, untrained dogs (and untrained owners, too!) Once you get the dog trained up you might consider one, but not in a place where there are other people and dogs.

Personally, my dogs are either on a 6 foot lead or no lead at all. No in-between Flexi nonsense except for certain very unique circumstances that aren't worth talking about here.

When introducing off lead work I use a 30ft cotton tracking lead.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, not the direction I’m going.  Too big and powerful of a dog to consider one. Gets away from my dog knowing where he is supposed to be when on lead which is at my side.
But thank you still.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep, not the direction I’m going.  Too big and powerful of a dog to consider one. Gets away from my dog knowing where he is supposed to be when on lead which is at my side.
But thank you still.
View Quote

Right now he is 118 pounds and still filling out as a very young adult.  That Kong leash is for 150 pound dog and it has taken every ounce of abuse  a large hyper puppy can throw aty it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
This was our first attempt at using one. It lasted 30 seconds into his first walk with it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Good looking dog!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
That lead should be fine.
Train him on a choke collar, it's best started when he's young.
I owned a Rottweiler for 12 years, play time was no choke collar, when I reached up for the choke collar by the door he knew it was work time.
Out in public with the choke on he was always two steps to my left in a heeling position.
When dealing with a dog that powerful, training is key.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That lead should be fine.
I owned a Rottweiler for 12 years, play time was no choke collar, when I reached up for the choke collar by the door he knew it was work time.
Out in public with the choke on he was always two steps to my left in a heeling position.
View Quote

Excellent advice. This is my second Rottweiler. He just turned a year. My first one has been gone a little over a year now. He was 12 when he passed.  They are not a breed for just anyone, and for the love of God do not put one on a chain in the back yard. These dogs are part of the family and should be treated as such.  They are a lot of work but the rewards of the very best friend you could ever ask for is worth every minute of work you put into it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Disagree, use a prong, read my post above.

It's better to have a dog that is not equipment sensitive, again see my post above.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The most important leash, and the first leash, any dog and handler should have, it the standard 6ft, 1/2", leather obedience training lead.

https://www.rayallen.com/catalog/product/view/id/13291/s/standard-obedience-leash-black-6-12/category/280/

This type of lead gives you the sensitivity and control no other lead does, and provides the least amount of unwanted leash cues to the dog when there is no leash pressure.

Yeah, the nylon is bad-ass and tacti-cool and all that, but you can handle any dog with a leather training lead. As the owner of three 100lb Akitas I can assure you of that.

However, if all you want to do is restrain your dog, by all means get the nylon.
View Quote

THIS

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
We love our Ray Allen collar. We have a full grown gs. We use a harness for walks. But, the collar is used a lot for around the house.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#21]
We use the harness lead that you see on Pitbulls & Parolees.
You do not need a collar as it is all in one.

Once it is on, if the dog pulls it will compress their chest and know to stop.
My guy stop pulling almost instantly and anyone i recommend to says it is great.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Restraining is not training...
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I like this Max and Neo collar.   6ft long.   Has an additional shorter hold.  Works good for my 120 pounder.

https://www.chewy.com/max-neo-dog-gear-nylon-reflective/dp/151716
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top