Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2020 2:23:41 PM EDT
Any recommendations on sites, videos, etc.?

I have a Trek mountain bike, and trying to figure out simple maintenance, what are the recommended tools to keep with you, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Park Tools has a YouTube channel that goes over pretty much anything maintenance related. GCN has quite a bit, too. YouTube has yet to let me down as far as maintenance goes.

Edit: I’ll post a picture with what I stuff in my saddle bag for every ride later.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Multi-tool (Lezyne SS)
Tire levers (Pedros yellow ones)
CO2... (I carry a small pump also)
Tube
Derailleur hanger (maybe)
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t know squat, but I carry a spare tube, tire bar/iron, a 25g co2 bottle and a inflator head for it. I have a bike specific compact tool that has a few hex, Allen and screw-driver bits. (It came with the bike and attaches to the bottle cage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quit your job and get a new one at a big bicycle shop in a big city.  In a big service department you will work on all kinds of bikes from morning to night and never be caught up.  I think all the stuff I know about bike maintenance is taking up too much brain space, that’s why I’m so stupid.  Or maybe it’s all the concussions
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The absolute BEST $160 I spent.

Attachment Attached File

RJ The Bike Guy

I find his videos e extremely easy to follow.

I own a Trek and you basically need a set of METRIC Allen Wrenches to do most things you will tackle in your garage.

This is a neat little gadget too. Cleans the chain like a champ and relatively no mess.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Park tools website is great.  Also do not try to use your bike multi tool to do at home maintenance. Get some decent metric Allen wrenches
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Here what I carry when I ride: spare tube, 15mm wrench (for fixie), CO2 inflator and cartridge, tire levers, multitool, and patch kit.
Edit: dollar bill for big holes in tire.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed on the bike stand.  I still haven't bought one and maybe if I did, I would be more willing to actually work on my bikes.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Search for GMBN on YouTube
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#10]
mtbr forums.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are in the SoCal area, CORBA has a free bike clinic at Malibu Creek State Park on the first Saturday of the month(probably on hold for COVID now). They go over braking techniques, weight and steering in loose terrain and clearing obstacles. It lasts most of the morning and even if you've been riding for years, it can help point out some bad habits. There is a LOT of great trail riding in the Santa Monica mountains if you feel like making the trip. Point Mugu State Park is not too far and has a lot of singletrack also.
https://corbamtb.com/programs/skills.shtml
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Youtube is the best place to learn if ypu don't have somebody to show you. I like the Park Tool tutorials. As for the stand, I second the Park. I have the 10.2 and love it. Get yourself a good set of allen wrenches, a torque wrench that goes from 5-25nm, and whatever tool your bottom bracket uses.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Park tools are good stuff,  they stand by there products and replacement is just an email with photos away.
Pedros tools are an awesome value for your money,  i prefer my Pedro's cable cutters over park.
Pedros milk levers are the chit!

Get a good set of metric Allen wrenches and a good set of  torx heads thats 80% of the tools that you will need.
Don't rely upon a set of dykes for shifter cables. Get a specific set of cable cutters for the job.
Derailleur adjustment isn't hard.
If you riding and it shifts into a bigger cog but not into a smaller cog (usually) you need more cable slack. its at best just a half a turn at a time of adjustment  if it shifts into a small cog nicely but not into a bigger cog more tension is needed.  To make Changes all you need to do is turn the barrel adjuster.

Sometimes matter what you do your shifting still sucks.
Downshift into your smallest cog and  check the cable tension.
You do this by pushing on the  exposed cable just prior to the pinch bolt on the Derailleur.
You want some tension with no slack.
If you have good tension and still funky shifting .
Time to examine your cable/ cable housing.  A little lube on the shifter cable can go a long way.

Take your time and make small changes and remember what you changed so you can reverse your changes.
Sometimes you have a bent Derailleur hanger or Derailleur is worn/trashed.
The shop can help you with that when all else fails.

Bleeding hydraulic brakes requires a special tool leave this to the shop (for the time being)
Occasionally grab your front brake, rock the bike back and forth with  your fingers on the headset cups, feel for play, if you have play loosen the stem pinch bolts tighten the bolt in the center of your stem half of a turn retighten the stem pinch bolts and recheck for play, make further adjustments as needed.
Just don't bind up your steering.
Tire pressure is crucial for both road and MTB.
Find what works best for you to prevent pinch flats (tubes) and your tires from rolling in the corners.

Any other questions ask away and  we will try to help you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed on the bike stand.  I still haven't bought one and maybe if I did, I would be more willing to actually work on my bikes.  

View Quote

I hang mine from the suspension straps attached to my pull up bar. It really works great and it's adjustable. One strap around the seat one around the bars or top tube.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#15]
A pump, two tubes, and a patch kit.  I have used all three of these items in less than an hour on a bad day.

Cell phone, first aid, sun screen, handgun.

Important shit for the trail.

A stand is handy, even if you just use it to clean your chain and spinny things.

Pledge.  Clean your bike with Pledge, water from a bucket or hose should never touch your bike.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Also small amount of duct tape and a dollar bill, I have repaired a ripped tire 5 mile away from trail head that way. I just used a 1/4 dowel rod little wider that duct tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top