Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 12:25:06 AM EDT
I want to learn machining. Local colleges dont teach manual anything, only CNC. I am signed up for a class that starts in May.
Are there any books you'd recommend to help teach me speed/feed, metallurgy, different inserts, etc. Everyting I dont know that I dont know.

thanks

@TinSpinner
@Ridgerunner9876
@Modly
@Soylent
@ziarifleman
@Ranxerox911

@everyone else with a clue
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m here.

@xd341
@kuraki
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
On youtube look up:
mrpete222
abom79
Keith Rucker
oxtoolco
joe pieczynski
this old Tony
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a bad guy for manual information. Haven't done that in any real capacity in many a moon.

That said, the youtube links aren't awful, but they often take quite a bit of sifting the wheat from the chaff for specific questions.

As far as books, get a Machinery's Handbook version 23 or older. Lots of good info once you figure out how to find it. It won't tell you why your hole isn't round in a direct manner but it will give you speeds and feeds if on the conservative side.

Any other textbook I can mention are so out of date I don't think that you can find them.

Maybe a small shop in your area you can work something out with?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
@maggiethecat

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a bad guy for manual information. Haven't done that in any real capacity in many a moon.

That said, the youtube links aren't awful, but they often take quite a bit of sifting the wheat from the chaff for specific questions.

As far as books, get a Machinery's Handbook version 23 or older. Lots of good info once you figure out how to find it. It won't tell you why your hole isn't round in a direct manner but it will give you speeds and feeds if on the conservative side.

Any other textbook I can mention are so out of date I don't think that you can find them.

Maybe a small shop in your area you can work something out with?
View Quote

All good info in the replies so far - as far as the books go, I've had good success with Abe Books and Alibris for out of print titles.  I'm too lazy to type all the titles and authors in, but here's a pic of a small section of my bookcase.

Attachment Attached File

Some of them go farther down the rabbit hole than you probably want, but if you are interested in the science behind metal working, they are a good start. Just so you know, you don't need to know all the deep info to be a good machinist, but if you ever become curious as to why tools and processes are the way they are, the answers are in there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#5]
An old version of "Machine Tool Practices" (mine was a (1979) sixth edition if I recall---I have loaned it out recently) would be a good place to start.  It was my machine shop technology textbook in 1981+.

It starts with using hand tools, to layout, to grinding lathe tool bits, to lathe and mill set-up.  That book along with Machinery's Handbook, will give you a good handle on what to do to reduce stock into scrap chips---along with a useable part.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me look around and I'll see if I still have any of my old books now that I'm a bit more awake.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If I could download everything I've learned about machining over the years and print it out the book would be multiple volumes. Most of it was not book learning, it was hands on in the shop. The amount of knowledge required to be proficient in this trade is greater than what I acquired at engineering school.

The text books will go over basic fundamentals but not far into how materials behave or how to counteract. Now consider the shear magnitude of different materials you are likely to encounter that all respond different from other materials and also may respond differently with each unique procedure and you can begin to get a grasp on how much there is to learn.

Too many things going on to narrow it down to a few sentences but if you have a specific challenge I'm sure many here can offer some specific advice. I will say this and can't stress it enough: Dig deep into shop safety practices before you do much else, real machines can eat you alive if you ignore common sense safety measures.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like to know "why", so I'll be looking into all of the books.

I do have a 7x16 lathe that I need to learn to work, not just make do.

@soylent, why version 23 or older?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to be a really good machinist never shut your brain off. Always seek the why when things aren't right.

I really like watching Joe Piezinski. He gives lots of great tips that help you visualize.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you want to be a really good machinist never shut your brain off. Always seek the why when things aren't right.

I really like watching Joe Piezinski. He gives lots of great tips that help you visualize.
View Quote

I found Joe Pie a couple weeks ago. I like that he is teaching the how and why.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

In for soylent's answer. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that v23 was last version that didn't start incorporating CNC information. The downside is that something had to go to make room for the new stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@maggiethecat

All good info in the replies so far - as far as the books go, I've had good success with Abe Books and Alibris for out of print titles.  I'm too lazy to type all the titles and authors in, but here's a pic of a small section of my bookcase.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57997/20210325_091421_jpg-1879145.JPG

Some of them go farther down the rabbit hole than you probably want, but if you are interested in the science behind metal working, they are a good start. Just so you know, you don't need to know all the deep info to be a good machinist, but if you ever become curious as to why tools and processes are the way they are, the answers are in there.
View Quote
If they could pump that info into my noodle all matrix brain spike style...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In for soylent's answer. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that v23 was last version that didn't start incorporating CNC information. The downside is that something had to go to make room for the new stuff.
View Quote
Version 26 came with a disk that is now on my server, I can find shit 10x faster that way.  The book sits on my back desk in case of power failure.

There is CNC stuff in the machinery handbook?  Huh...
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty much the reason. I can't remember what was removed though. Some gear cutting maybe? There's nothing "wrong" with the newer ones, and it is not a bad idea to have more than one. Currently I don't have any

ETA
It isn't that there's cnc stuff in it, but that it's missing some other information. Kind of arcane, but could be useful.

ETA ETA

Also they should be quite a bit cheaper if you can find them in a used book store. Plus, the thread specs will be easier to find since somebody else has already marked that section up with their greasy fingers. Without opening the book, just look for the dark stripe on the outside of the pages. It'll be about middle-ish. Open at the biggest, darkest strip ad *bam* you're right in the thread specs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's pretty much the reason. I can't remember what was removed though. Some gear cutting maybe? There's nothing "wrong" with the newer ones, and it is not a bad idea to have more than one. Currently I don't have any

ETA
It isn't that there's cnc stuff in it, but that it's missing some other information. Kind of arcane, but could be useful.

ETA ETA

Also they should be quite a bit cheaper if you can find them in a used book store. Plus, the thread specs will be easier to find since somebody else has already marked that section up with their greasy fingers. Without opening the book, just look for the dark stripe on the outside of the pages. It'll be about middle-ish. Open at the biggest, darkest strip ad *bam* you're right in the thread specs.
View Quote
Pdf. So much faster and easier.  But yes, the thread section is the most used.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Start with a small project on the lathe, like a short shaft with a couple diameters, maybe a radius or chamfer.

D==-- lookin thingy

No, that's just a dick....

Anyway...select a small project to do.

Pick a material, research it's best speed for cutting.
Research a proper tool grind for your cuts.
Learn about the 3 pass method for lathework.

Then grab some material and giver a go.  1" AL is pretty forgiving.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#17]
The YouTube channels suggested will give you the quickest insight.   As mentioned safety is a big deal.

Lathes are actively trying to kill you...in very bad ways.

Get your head around the safety part. Then start making chips. You'll have problems but it will give you stuff to focus your learning toward.  There is a ton to learn so you just have to start somewhere.

All of us chip makers on Arf have different back grounds and we are a famously disagreeable bunch(machinist/tool makers in general)...but actually we like to share our knowledge.  So get started and then ask specific questions. It'll be a bit like drinking from a fire hose at first.

You could generate entire threads on basic setup like cutting soft jaws or tramming a head stock.  Then..tooling...materials...cutting parameters...accuracy and precision, measurement...the list goes on.

It's best to handle these issues as they come up while working on a project. They mean more that way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's best to handle these issues as they come up while working on a project. They mean more that way.
View Quote
Hell yes they do.

Practical Machinist has a forum for South Bend users, and it's easily the most laid back forum on the board with lots of leniency granted to newbies.  There's a hell of a lot of beginner info there, and links to the pdf version of SB's How To Run A Lathe.  It's a good beginner text.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hell yes they do.

Practical Machinist has a forum for South Bend users, and it's easily the most laid back forum on the board with lots of leniency granted to newbies.  There's a hell of a lot of beginner info there, and links to the pdf version of SB's How To Run A Lathe.  It's a good beginner text.
View Quote
Haha. PM is an interesting place.  No holds barred there, salty old fucks will rip off your head and shit down your neck...just like being in a shop!    

Makes GD look like daycare.

Tons of knowledge there to be had, but God help you if you're just a hobbyist.

Things like table top mills are not OK there or weren't the last time I checked.

You need to know how to rebuild a 40 year old manual lathe or reload the parameters in a fanuc 6m control from 30 years ago...there's someone there that's done it.

Good place to lurk for a while. Soaking up all the knowledge

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Haha. PM is an interesting place.  No holds barred there, salty old fucks will rip off your head and shit down your neck...just like being in a shop!    

Things like table top mills are not OK there or weren't the last time I checked.

You need to know how to rebuild a 40 year old manual lathe or reload the parameters in a fanuc 6m control from 30 years ago...there's someone there that's done it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes they do.

PM is a good place to lurk.
And if you block a couple of key guys, is way more enjoyable to read.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I taught Machining 1 and 2 at night several years ago at our local Community College. It was a continuing education class meant for someone who wanted to change careers or change positions in a company. No prerequisite classes were necessary. I had a mix of students and none had any real experience. Had a mailman, a farmer, welder, construction worker and more. Started off teaching shop safety, how to read calipers and mics, basic blueprint reading. I taught them by the book and also showed them some of the ways the same things were done by experienced machinists. My guys learned really quickly and by the time they made it through both classes, they could do some pretty decent basic machining. If you can find something like these classes and get a good instructor you can learn a lot about basic machining. When I started machining in 1984, we only had one CNC mill and one CNC lathe. I learned to setup and run manual machines from experienced old timers then later transitioned to CNC programming. Have fun a be careful.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the one!

Shut up, do your diligence, and think before you post.  Then search again.  

It's great!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I taught Machining 1 and 2 at night several years ago at our local Community College. It was a continuing education class meant for someone who wanted to change careers or change positions in a company. No prerequisite classes were necessary. I had a mix of students and none had any real experience. Had a mailman, a farmer, welder, construction worker and more. Started off teaching shop safety, how to read calipers and mics, basic blueprint reading. I taught them by the book and also showed them some of the ways the same things were done by experienced machinists. My guys learned really quickly and by the time they made it through both classes, they could do some pretty decent basic machining. If you can find something like these classes and get a good instructor you can learn a lot about basic machining. When I started machining in 1984, we only had one CNC mill and one CNC lathe. I learned to setup and run manual machines from experienced old timers then later transitioned to CNC programming. Have fun a be careful.
View Quote

@Fortyseven2n

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#24]

There was a time when my office was constantly filled with those little punched-out dots. Damn things are like glitter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes they do.

I post on the Facebook Manual Machinist page. They have a lot of salty old fucks and that would be fine if they could read and respond to what was written instead of what their brain thinks they saw..... I've gotten more than one apology after heated debate there.

I'm a hobby guy but I've turned dies for 4000 and 6000 ton forges in my only tool and die job. I've been running mills and lathes for 25 years now. I've got tons of experience and tons to learn from people who can teach. I still ask basic questions and my trigonometry skills are still weak but I muddle through....
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I post on the Facebook Manual Machinist page. They have a lot of salty old fucks and that would be fine if they could read and respond to what was written instead of what their brain thinks they saw..... I've gotten more than one apology after heated debate there.

I'm a hobby guy but I've turned dies for 4000 and 6000 ton forges in my only tool and die job. I've been running mills and lathes for 25 years now. I've got tons of experience and tons to learn from people who can teach. I still ask basic questions and my trigonometry skills are still weak but I muddle through....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes they do.

Triangle calculator in the play store. It's free and it's a good app for cutting down on the money spent on antacids.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember those. We had rolls and rolls of them in little tubes. Most were paper and a few were mylar. Never programmed one but I remember dollar signs and other strange characters in the program if you printed it out. We had a Bridgeport Boss 5 that had been retrofitted with Boss 6 controls. I programmed and ran a Mori Seiki Mv/Jr next to the Bridgeport. There was something screwy about the  conversion. The guy running it said the table would just take off on its own in the middle of a cut. I told him he was full of crap but I was running it as an operator one day and all of a sudden the table rapid traveled in the Y- direction and wiped out all the toe clamps that were in its path. Had to tell him he was right. He was also one of the most talented CNC machinists I have worked with. I learned a heck of a lot from him. This was before we had CAM and had to write our programs longhand. Even with cutter comp you had to be creative to make the machine do what you wanted. The guys these days are spoiled with 3D models and modern CAM programs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Add Steve Summers and Blondihacks to the list on YouTube. Pick up a copy of " How to Run a Lathe" from South Bend Lathes. Should be able to find a copy on eBay or Amazon. Look for old Audels books on eBay or in your local library for machinist titles. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I remember those. We had rolls and rolls of them in little tubes. Most were paper and a few were mylar. Never programmed one but I remember dollar signs and other strange characters in the program if you printed it out. We had a Bridgeport Boss 5 that had been retrofitted with Boss 6 controls. I programmed and ran a Mori Seiki Mv/Jr next to the Bridgeport. There was something screwy about the  conversion. The guy running it said the table would just take off on its own in the middle of a cut. I told him he was full of crap but I was running it as an operator one day and all of a sudden the table rapid traveled in the Y- direction and wiped out all the toe clamps that were in its path. Had to tell him he was right. He was also one of the most talented CNC machinists I have worked with. I learned a heck of a lot from him. This was before we had CAM and had to write our programs longhand. Even with cutter comp you had to be creative to make the machine do what you wanted. The guys these days are spoiled with 3D models and modern CAM programs.
View Quote
I still write lathe code by hand.  I'm just faster than using the cam.  Milling code is just too big a volume to fingercam plus...high speed machining takes a lot of math.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Version 26 came with a disk that is now on my server, I can find shit 10x faster that way.  The book sits on my back desk in case of power failure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt think there would be.

The different versions down through the years are much the same knowledge, but updated and refined along the way.

We found an ancient 5th or 6th edition at work that was moth eaten but largely readable and some things , terms and such just dont translate well to modern vocabulary.

Lots of checking bungs for out of round and such that would lead to sexual harassment suits today.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The YouTube channels suggested will give you the quickest insight.   As mentioned safety is a big deal.

Lathes are actively trying to kill you...in very bad ways.

Get your head around the safety part. Then start making chips. You'll have problems but it will give you stuff to focus your learning toward.  There is a ton to learn so you just have to start somewhere.

All of us chip makers on Arf have different back grounds and we are a famously disagreeable bunch(machinist/tool makers in general)...but actually we like to share our knowledge.  So get started and then ask specific questions. It'll be a bit like drinking from a fire hose at first.

You could generate entire threads on basic setup like cutting soft jaws or tramming a head stock.  Then..tooling...materials...cutting parameters...accuracy and precision, measurement...the list goes on.

View Quote
This can not be overstated!

The lathe is the one machine that will flat out kill you and go merrily along frothing your bits into a nice creamy foam.

Many machine tools will take a bite or two, the lathe will take your whole arm off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top