Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2018 10:42:20 AM EDT
I need one for the house.

Internet browsing, email, kids' homework, etc. It doesn't need to run any games. I may take it to the occasional conference, but it will chiefly be used around the house.

I'd like something that works well with a docking station.

Decent size screen.

I'm not very techy and am oblivious about brands, processors, operating systems, etc.

A link/site would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I got an Acer Chromebook 15 that flips over into a tablet.  Since the kids use Google Classroom, Docs, Slides, etc. at school on Chromebooks, it integrated well.

The only PITA is that for a Chromebook to print to your home wireless printer (if you have one), you have to use a Mac or Windows computer to log into Chrome and set that printer to work with your Gmail profile.

It was either this one or one identical to it: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-spin-15-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-chromebook-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-sparkly-silver/6294312.p?skuId=6294312
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently got a new laptop

I don't game

I bought a gaming computer and couldn't be happier

I finally broke out the cash and bought one with an I7 and SSD and tons of memory
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently got a new laptop

I don't game

I bought a gaming computer and couldn't be happier

I finally broke out the cash and bought one with an I7 and SSD and tons of memory
View Quote
This seems like a massive waste of cash....which, fine, it's your cash, but there are much more economical ways to surf the net.  i7 gets you nothing over an i5 for anything short of heavy CAD or video production software.  Same with the GPU that gaming computers put in, and constitutes most of the price of a gaming computer.  Unless you're gaming(you're not) or doing video production, it's a complete waste of money.

Now, the SSD, that's something I would urge anyone and everyone to get regardless of use.

Memory...meh, memory isn't really that expensive...so unless it's 32 gigs or more, you're fine.  16 standard and plenty for 99% of people even gamers/programmers.  Might need more for really heavy CAD work.

OP - Lenovo has been good to me.  Never had problems with HP laptops either but they're a bit expensive for what you get typically.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, what is your budget?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I just pulled the trigger on a Chromebook. My office IT guy wanted to build a monster, but the 2 in 1 Chrome thing will fit the bill nicely...until my 6 year old destroys it.

Thanks for the recommendation Spartacus.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad to help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top