[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m familiar with the bubble
View Quote

YOU COULDNT LEVEL SHIT WITH THAT!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck! Am I the only nerd that enjoyed both those videos?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
570 lbs per sq inch tensile strength from molecular cohesion alone, holy cow!  Like the Rick and Morty scene, makes you realize how nearly all of even the high quality products you encounter are crude pieces of shit.  

There's a story in Asimov's Foundation series where one of the Foundation's traders (Hober Mallow) goes to spy on and undermine a hostile neighboring power by selling them machine tools and high tech luxury goods they won't be able to replace after they declare war.  One device that always stuck in my mind was a handheld metals saw that cut so true that the trader demonstrated "welding" steel parts by simply pressing cut surfaces together and letting molecular cohesion do its thing to make them practically one continuous part.  I always thought that the concept was bullshit, or more charitably an extraordinary leap of imagination .  I had no idea it was actually being done on a regular basis, with a bit more difficulty, when he wrote the book.  I now have no doubt he was aware of and referring to Johansson gauge blocks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck! Am I the only nerd that enjoyed both those videos?
View Quote

I just watched them too. Enjoyed them both.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
570 lbs per sq inch tensile strength from molecular cohesion alone, holy cow!  Like the Rick and Morty scene, makes you realize how nearly all of even the high quality products you encounter are crude pieces of shit.  

There's a story in Asimov's Foundation series where one of the Foundation's traders (Hober Mallow) goes to spy on and undermine a hostile neighboring power by selling them machine tools and high tech luxury goods they won't be able to replace after they declare war.  One device that always stuck in my mind was a handheld metals saw that cut so true that the trader demonstrated "welding" steel parts by simply pressing cut surfaces together and letting molecular cohesion do its thing to make them practically one continuous part.  I always thought that the concept was bullshit, or more charitably an extraordinary leap of imagination .  I had no idea it was actually being done on a regular basis, with a bit more difficulty, when he wrote the book.  I now have no doubt he was aware of and referring to Johansson gauge blocks.
View Quote

I have been interested in machining for years. I own a micrometer and some books on the subject. But most of the books I have deal with operation and programming of CNC machines. I had never heard of gauge blocks until yesterday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top