Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/26/2021 9:48:43 PM EDT
3.5 yo male GSD, not fixed.

He's been around Yorkies, Aussies, other GSDs, Malinois, and several other breeds but Labs seem to make him absolutely nuts.  My dad had a yellow Lab and my dog would constantly try to mount him.  I mean constantly in the purest sense of the word. We had to physically separate them because my dog would not stop trying to mount him.  It ruined a short trip to see my dad.  I was miserable. He has a shock collar that we normally keep on level 10/100.   We had to crank this thing up to 100 and it still did not deter him.  We'd hit him with the shock collar, he'd kind of twitch like he was biting at his ear, then right back on the chase.  Peppy La'Pew would have said, "whoa, whoa, whoa, that's a bit much, dog."

I chalked this up to maybe my dad's dog having some sort of chemical imbalance that my dog picked up on.  Until today.  

Neighbors got a black Lab puppy.  I was outside and petted on the Lab for a few minutes.  As soon as I walk in the house my GSD was glued to my shorts sniffing.  He doesn't even stay that close when I put him into a heel.  He stood there sniffing my shorts while I was taking a leak.  A few hours later, I walk in, he's glued to my shorts.  I would almost bet he will try to get into the clothes hamper tonight after I throw my shorts in there, which is why they are going right in the washing machine when I call it a night.  Not dealing with that crap tonight.  

What in the hell is going on here?  I have never seen another dog act this way and in this case, it is only with Labs.  

We've toyed with the idea of breeding our dog but I'm not sure I want to do that now.   He's a very handsome dog with great coloring and, his temperament is usually excellent.  He's well-trained and does his job well.  He's a PPD.  It's just this fetish for Labs.  Male Labs.  Aside from not having him around Labs, what can I do?  I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The only issue I've found with some labs is that they are so social with people and other dogs, they don't understand that some dogs want "social distance", and not be approached closely and quickly by dogs they don't know.

Personally, I would just keep the dogs apart if the behavior repeats.

FWIW, I believe dog breeding should be left to experienced breeders, so let such a breeder make the decision regarding your dog.  There are too many "casual" dog breeders.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Two thoughts come to mind.  One, Labs have oily coats which can have an odor.  Two, mounting is usually a dominance thing.  Your doggy is trying to assert dominance over the other dogs.  I can usually stop it by making it known that the other dog is mine, and not his.  Of course your dog needs to already understand his order in your pack for that to work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two thoughts come to mind.  One, Labs have oily coats which can have an odor.  Two, mounting is usually a dominance thing.  Your doggy is trying to assert dominance over the other dogs.  I can usually stop it by making it known that the other dog is mine, and not his.  Of course your dog needs to already understand his order in your pack for that to work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Our dog definitely knows his place in the pecking order and it isn't at the top.  This is something different.  It's like a switch is flipped and I've never seen anything like it.  

Quoted:
The only issue I've found with some labs is that they are so social with people and other dogs, they don't understand that some dogs want "social distance", and not be approached closely and quickly by dogs they don't know.

Personally, I would just keep the dogs apart if the behavior repeats.

FWIW, I believe dog breeding should be left to experienced breeders, so let such a breeder make the decision regarding your dog.  There are too many "casual" dog breeders.

I suppose I should have been a bit more clear when I said we were thinking about breeding.  We aren't going to do it.  I don't have the experience nor do I have the time or a suitable space for it.  We were considering studding him.  From what we've been able to gather, he would be a far better candidate for that kind of thing compared to some of the GSDs that have been bred in the US.  He's an Eastern European dog with a good bloodline, clean medical, etc.  We have more paperwork on the dog than on some of our cars.    

He won't be around my dad's dog anymore.  That dog isn't in the picture these days.  He's still alive but with someone else.  The neighbor's dog will be the challenge.  We'll just have to take our dog inside when the neighbor brings theirs out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe just accept that your dog is gay and prefers labs.  He is German after all. Buy him a rainbow collar and carry on.

I'm kidding of course.  Or am I?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top